Re: Huw officially takes over

Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 24th, 2024, 8:14 pm
lowandhard wrote: January 24th, 2024, 7:56 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 24th, 2024, 6:48 pm Let's have a look at the statement.

Make the club financially sustainable. We need to increase revenue and improve financial reporting. I have been saying this for years.
Strive to form long term relationships with the City Council, FAW etc.Again I've been saying this for years.
Improve infrastructure ie training facilities. Once again I've been saying this for years.
To work with Dragons for mutual benefit. I feel it incumbent on me to point out I've been saying this for years.
Change the culture of Newport County to one of belief and ambition. I feel I have to point out that I was saying this whilst Margaret Thatcher was PM.
Improving communication within the fan base to enhance our club. Do I really have to point out that once again I was saying this when Adam was a boy.

I wish when we owned the club we had had a board that took this approach. I still believe that fan ownership was a lost opportunity. But that ship has sailed. There will be setbacks I have no doubt. But Huw Jenkins doesn't have a losing mentality.

I wish him well.
I endorse your aspirations and wishes Brendan!
Like you, I always wanted to be fan-owned. Due to a combination of factors which included incompetence and lack of the intelligence to communicate among other factors, that ship has well and truly sailed.
I wish Huw Jenkins well because his success will be our success.
We all need to be behind the enterprise because we have this in common at least - common cause. I hope he gets to love the County and to have it injected into his blood like we were, most often in our infancy. I hope he has the wisdom and skill to achieve the best and succeed where the Trust failed, we must support him in his and our cause.
My plea is simply this, I know you will support the County, like me that was never in doubt but in addition please do not abandon the Trust, it is our statement of love and continuous dedication of and to our football club. It was flawed just like us but its basic intention was our continuance and a hope that we will prosper and move to a brighter future.
This to you all, we are the club, we are the County, we are the custodians and the young among us are our future!, let’s enjoy the present and look forward to the future. UTFC CTID
Evening Mike,

Hope all's well with you. If Huw Jenkins is as good as his word then I think the Trust can be a success. Communication has been promised by Huw Jenkins. It hasn't been there in the past and I think a lot of people feel as if they have been taken for idiots. Trust has to be rebuilt to rebuild the Trust.

Fresh beginnings and all that. I genuinely believe that properly managed our future could be really bright. Time to draw a line under the past.
Couldn’t agree more my friend! Let’s all set sail for new prospects, looking to the future and braced against adverse currents and treacherous conditions. Like you have always done, we must keep a weather eye out to make sure our course is true and the rudder is manned by a competent skipper.
I hope I’ve not done that to death 😂😂😂
We are the Port after all! 🤣

Stow Hill Sid wrote: January 24th, 2024, 8:17 pm Am I the only person who thinks this is the second-worst day in the history of Newport County? We used to own our own club, for fucks sake. We are now owned by some Jack *******.

When I worked in Port Talbot some of the boys from neath who knew him said he hated the blueturds with a passion I think he wants to make us second team in Wales after Swansea who let's admit have been Wales number one for a while

Stow Hill Sid wrote: January 24th, 2024, 8:17 pm Am I the only person who thinks this is the second-worst day in the history of Newport County? We used to own our own club, for fucks sake. We are now owned by some Jack *******.
It's sad that the club couldn't make the Trust model work without outside help. If it's a choice between an investor and EFL survival or no investor and National League obscurity then it's a no-brainer for me.

Jack or not Jenkins knows what he's doing. He's got unfinished business and if he can get us to fulfil our full potential as a club then happy days.

I'm not of that opinion, but I, like you did not vote for the handover to HJ as I felt it would be wrong to do so based on the lack of information provided at the time. It would have been nothing more considered than tossing a coin.

But i do find some of the subsequent comments on here pretty nauseating.
If 'we are the club, we are the guardians' is true, then by handing the club over to new private owner it is an absolute fact that we the guardians have absolutely failed the club we owned.

They'll all hide behind the same old excuses - " it was a clique, they were impossible to work for, they wouldn't accept help"

On and on it goes.

The fact is that for several years there was no appetite to force change, no candidates to stand for election, no protests or angry mobs.

Nothing.

Giving a fiver a month was enough apparently, let the volunteers run the club on that.

£30,000 was the Trust annual contribution for the first few years.

Pathetic.

And now the clubs gone, gifted to an owner on the back of an FA Cup cash bonanza.

I'm glad it's all sorted now, but please spare me the 'we are the custodians' bullshit.......

whoareya wrote: January 24th, 2024, 9:02 pm
I'm not of that opinion, but I, like you did not vote for the handover to HJ as I felt it would be wrong to do so based on the lack of information provided at the time. It would have been nothing more considered than tossing a coin.

But i do find some of the subsequent comments on here pretty nauseating.
If 'we are the club, we are the guardians' is true, then by handing the club over to new private owner it is an absolute fact that we the guardians have absolutely failed the club we owned.

They'll all hide behind the same old excuses - " it was a clique, they were impossible to work for, they wouldn't accept help"

On and on it goes.

The fact is that for several years there was no appetite to force change, no candidates to stand for election, no protests or angry mobs.

Nothing.

Giving a fiver a month was enough apparently, let the volunteers run the club on that.

£30,000 was the Trust annual contribution for the first few years.

Pathetic.

And now the clubs gone, gifted to an owner on the back of an FA Cup cash bonanza.

I'm glad it's all sorted now, but please spare me the 'we are the custodians' bullshit.......
I’m not defending that but I must say there was absolutely no effective attempt to engage with the fans and to communicate the urgency of the situation

Firstly, the choice of language (translating your asterisks) is unseemly. Secondly, we were probably on a slippery slope towards the National League, not this season but within maybe two years. With a lack of funding from the owners, that's us the supporters, we were in a perilous position. To fire off at Huw Jenkins because of his Swansea background is very blinkered.

UPTHEPORT wrote: January 24th, 2024, 8:26 pm

When I worked in Port Talbot some of the boys from neath who knew him said he hated the blueturds with a passion I think he wants to make us second team in Wales after Swansea who let's admit have been Wales number one for a while
I've heard similar. He's passionately anti-Cardiff if you believe the shit written on Anus's forum.

People like HJ are just competitive through and through. Seeing Wrexham on the rise, Cardiff on the slide, and the potential of the NP postcode (as big as Cardiff and Swansea if you can unleash it) is probably very tempting.

Of course, if he can weave the magic again you could very easily turn a tidy profit on sale too, and very best of luck to him.

Regarding the point of it being a dark day because we used to own the club, I don't see it that way. The elected board did OK I think, but collectively we failed to make it work. Nobody cared enough to stand for elections except the unopposed, we blew millions and achieved nothing with it.

Sorry, but this is the only way forward. If it goes tits up we might have to step up to the plate again at that point, and of course, we will if needed.

excessbee wrote: January 24th, 2024, 10:06 pm Firstly, the choice of language (translating your asterisks) is unseemly. Secondly, we were probably on a slippery slope towards the National League, not this season but within maybe two years. With a lack of funding from the owners, that's us the supporters, we were in a perilous position. To fire off at Huw Jenkins because of his Swansea background is very blinkered.
Okay. The first of your points is well made. I shouldn't swear. I apologise for that.

The points about how we were managed, we'll just have to agree to disagree about them. I think that there was more than enough money coming into the County to keep us up, and keep us supporter owned (we are,after all, playing Man Utd on Sunday). I believe this good fortune will continue into future years too (call me an optimist if you like). I do appreciate that some of our supporters feel we can't do it on our own. That's fine.

The final point about Huw Jenkins, yes, again, you are correct. I should not have said it. I'm 53 (old school...we used to hate them and chase them back to the train station). Being friends with them...it will take a little time...but I will do it if you hold my hand.

I'll be at Rodney Parade on Sunday. Direct message me if you are coming and I'll buy you a pint.

Today is not just the start of a new future for the AFC, for me it is the start of the new future for the Trust. I hope that an important part of the future will start tomorrow at the Trust AGM, with the acceptance of my proposed resolution directing the Board to create and follow a Transparency Policy. However, it will not be an immediate and complete 'new start' because Trust members tomorrow will not be given the opportunity to vote for new Directors. So, all of the old guard will remain.

Notwithstanding that, which, to me, is an astonishing constitutional omission, we are promised a consultation period during which Trust members will be canvassed on a range of matters. I think how this consultation exercise is controlled and how the products of the consultation is implemented will be the first important test of the new future of the Trust and of those controlling it.

Jonesy3 wrote: January 24th, 2024, 6:34 pm
wattsville_boy wrote: January 24th, 2024, 5:38 pm It dragged on too long. What is missing is a statement from Huw stating what his aims or ambitions are for the club. He may have stated these at the meeting where the decision was made (I don't know, I wasn't there) but it seems a good opportunity before Sunday to lift the County support further...
You mean this statement?

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/2 ... turn-down/
I read the statement and it's a fine enough statement. It gives some very achievable goals but where are the aspirations? What the fans really wanted him to say is that he wants to turn County into a Championship side in x years. And that he knows how to do because he was part of a team that achieved it (and more) at Swansea.

Now that would have been part of the statement to make...