Re: County to play at Cardiff

excessbee wrote:Three. All they can do is repair the damage between rugby fixtures. Only for it to happen again on the following weekend. A wet day prior to a rugby fixture will just make it worse.
Mark Jones' comment is comedy gold "this decision will allow us to protect the pitch and aid its recovery before Newport County AFC return".

faerun exile wrote:
excessbee wrote:Three. All they can do is repair the damage between rugby fixtures. Only for it to happen again on the following weekend. A wet day prior to a rugby fixture will just make it worse.
Mark Jones' comment is comedy gold "this decision will allow us to protect the pitch and aid its recovery before Newport County AFC return".
Agree not much time for pitch recovery. Although grass is starting to grow now that the daylight is getting longer.
3 rugby games highly likely to cut it up.

Also should we fail to score or loose at Cardiff's ground what excuse will MF use?
Let's hope we can get can get back to winning ways.

Fu Ming wrote:
faerun exile wrote:
Agree not much time for pitch recovery. Although grass is starting to grow now that the daylight is getting longer.
3 rugby games highly likely to cut it up.

Also should we fail to score or loose at Cardiff's ground what excuse will MF use?
Let's hope we can get can get back to winning ways.
I wonder if we'll get a refund back from the WRU for their failure to provide a playable surface?

faerun exile wrote:Looks like Dragons play at home 13, 21 and 28 March then season over.
Take that back. There is some made-up competition called the Rainbow Cup running from 17 April until 19 June. I doubt that the Dragons will get anywhere near the final and unsure where the final will take place but a comp running until mid-June doesn't give a great deal of time for a new super-dooper hybrid pitch to be laid at RP. Rainbow Cup also involves playing games in South Africa, which beggars belief.
Unless we can play at CCS for the rest of the season what is the point of just moving 2 fixtures this month? Is the playing surface expected to improve from its current condition with Dragons playing every week this month and us and Dragons playing on it twice a week during April and May, or am I missing something?

It speaks to the tenuous financial situation at the Dragons. They clearly couldn't afford to play anywhere else for the rest of the season, in the same way they couldn't afford to say no to the Blues.

Fair to say we need them in private ownership asap, otherwise who knows what else they will do to RP in the name of money...

What sort of magical grass are they going to be sowing if they think the surface can recover in 7 days before it gets the next hammering?
If they are planning on bringing in vast sections of 4 inch deep turfs then they might get away with it, but no grass I know of grows that quick and that matted together from seed in 7 days in what could be below 10 degrees over that period.

landinho wrote:It speaks to the tenuous financial situation at the Dragons. They clearly couldn't afford to play anywhere else for the rest of the season, in the same way they couldn't afford to say no to the Blues.

Fair to say we need them in private ownership asap, otherwise who knows what else they will do to RP in the name of money...
In its current incarnation who is going to invest in the Dragons franchise though? It's a complete basket-case. A very sorry mess.

faerun exile wrote:
faerun exile wrote:Looks like Dragons play at home 13, 21 and 28 March then season over.
Take that back. There is some made-up competition called the Rainbow Cup running from 17 April until 19 June. I doubt that the Dragons will get anywhere near the final and unsure where the final will take place but a comp running until mid-June doesn't give a great deal of time for a new super-dooper hybrid pitch to be laid at RP. Rainbow Cup also involves playing games in South Africa, which beggars belief.
Unless we can play at CCS for the rest of the season what is the point of just moving 2 fixtures this month? Is the playing surface expected to improve from its current condition with Dragons playing every week this month and us and Dragons playing on it twice a week during April and May, or am I missing something?
Surely travel is banned to South Africa for the foreseeable future.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
faerun exile wrote:
Surely travel is banned to South Africa for the foreseeable future.
Don't believe so as the Lions playing behind closed doors in SA is an option still currently on the table.

faerun exile wrote:
We have another six "home" fixtures to play somewhere after these two. Can't see the point in returning to RP. The "grass" won't grow sufficiently by 27th March, home to Scunthorpe. Once sand was spread on the pitch, no way would it be fit for the rest of the season.
Last edited by Beechwood Boy on March 4th, 2021, 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.