As if things couldn't get worse

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

UPTHEPORT

Location

The Republic of Malpas

As if things couldn't get worse

Postby UPTHEPORT » March 19th, 2020, 12:10 pm

no avatar
User

Anto

Location

By yur

Re: As if things couldn't get worse

Postby Anto » March 19th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Well I for one will definitely not be listening,
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Re: As if things couldn't get worse

Postby Percy plunkett » March 19th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Jim and Anto,you are looking at it as a Liverpool FC song and missing the point.I have had the pleasure of singing it live to an audience,it is a powerful uplifting song about hope and being positive at what seems the lowest point in a given situation.It gets everybody up in a moment of togetherness and is incredible to be part of.Have you seen the film Carousel or seen it performed in a theatre,it is a sad yet happy moment which is the highlight of the production.Try to forget about Liverpool and concentrate on the meaning.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Location

MT

Re: As if things couldn't get worse

Postby Exile 1976 » March 19th, 2020, 7:10 pm

Percy plunkett wrote:Jim and Anto,you are looking at it as a Liverpool FC song and missing the point.I have had the pleasure of singing it live to an audience,it is a powerful uplifting song about hope and being positive at what seems the lowest point in a given situation.It gets everybody up in a moment of togetherness and is incredible to be part of.Have you seen the film Carousel or seen it performed in a theatre,it is a sad yet happy moment which is the highlight of the production.Try to forget about Liverpool and concentrate on the meaning.



100% mate.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Re: As if things couldn't get worse

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » March 19th, 2020, 7:11 pm

Percy plunkett wrote:Jim and Anto,you are looking at it as a Liverpool FC song and missing the point.I have had the pleasure of singing it live to an audience,it is a powerful uplifting song about hope and being positive at what seems the lowest point in a given situation.It gets everybody up in a moment of togetherness and is incredible to be part of.Have you seen the film Carousel or seen it performed in a theatre,it is a sad yet happy moment which is the highlight of the production.Try to forget about Liverpool and concentrate on the meaning.

Spot on Percy.
Carousel a brilliant musical.
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Location

Cwmbran

Re: As if things couldn't get worse

Postby Blackandamber » March 19th, 2020, 7:58 pm

A great song, but I prefer the lyrics of Psalm 91.

1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.’

3 Surely he will save you
from the fowler’s snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you say, ‘The Lord is my refuge,’
and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 ‘Because he loves me,’ says the Lord, ‘I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honour him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.’
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: As if things couldn't get worse

Postby pembsexile » March 19th, 2020, 9:16 pm

Percy plunkett wrote:Jim and Anto,you are looking at it as a Liverpool FC song and missing the point.I have had the pleasure of singing it live to an audience,it is a powerful uplifting song about hope and being positive at what seems the lowest point in a given situation.It gets everybody up in a moment of togetherness and is incredible to be part of.Have you seen the film Carousel or seen it performed in a theatre,it is a sad yet happy moment which is the highlight of the production.Try to forget about Liverpool and concentrate on the meaning.


I have sung this song many times in it’s popular football format. Tomorrow, if I have time I will listen on R2 and think of the song in its original format. Never seen Carousel. Very apt and well done to the DJ who thought up the idea.
no avatar
User

Corpaboy

Re: As if things couldn't get worse

Postby Corpaboy » March 19th, 2020, 10:03 pm

I get the impression you’re not a Liverpool fan , Jim ???

This has been suggested by a DUTCH guy , not a Liverpool follower , and will no doubt lift a lot of people's mental state at the moment .

See it for what it is ....
UTC
no avatar
User

Triangle

Location

With the Panthers

Re: As if things couldn't get worse

Postby Triangle » March 19th, 2020, 10:19 pm

Blackandamber wrote:A great song, but I prefer the lyrics of Psalm 91.


4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

10 no harm will overtake you,
no disaster will come near your tent.

13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.



No problem with your beliefs and religious choice, no problem with liking something. Keeps you off the street like And fills your life with purpose and direction. So that's all pretty positive stuff!

I however, am a bit concerned about the following.

Number 4
Didn't know God had wings and feathers, think God is more an essence rather than a winged creature....Wings....Perhaps God gave us Red Bull for a reason, but why did he give us this virus. Wait,is Red Bull the cure?

Number 10
My church never told me that I must have a tent! I feel cheated, Was I mean't to be a level 10 follower before I was told about having a tent for things like the coronovirus.

Number 13
Now Fair enough, that's all OK, perhaps I should have researched the book and tent thing more thoroughly, BUT what have the Lion, Cobra done wrong. They are just going about their daily existence doing the things God gave them the ability to do. Why are we picking on them, why not the Hippo, or the crocodile, the black widow, brown recluse, rhino, Jaguar, fire ant, piranha or man O War. Something seems a little unfair here. Why trample on them too, sounds mean and a horrible way to be killed, why not just love them and give them space to do their thing. I feel the person that wrote Psalm 91 has a personal fear of Lions and Cobra. A bit mean spirited if you ask me.
User avatar
User

lowandhard

Location

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Re: As if things couldn't get worse

Postby lowandhard » March 20th, 2020, 2:21 am

Blackandamber wrote:A great song, but I prefer the lyrics of Psalm 91.

1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.’

3 Surely he will save you
from the fowler’s snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you say, ‘The Lord is my refuge,’
and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 ‘Because he loves me,’ says the Lord, ‘I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honour him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.’


Wtf was that gibberish? Do we allow contributions from demented chimpanzees? If I die it’ll be because the virus gets me not because a sky fairy failed to protect me!
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: As if things couldn't get worse

Postby pembsexile » March 20th, 2020, 6:14 am

Religious or not let’s be clear about one thing. This bloody virus has nothing at all to do with God. It is not her fault. It is not retribution for our sins. It was caused (allegedly) by some ****** in a Chinese market selling wild partly cooked animals.

Take your solace by all means, but.....
User avatar
User

Kevinmoorefellover

Re: As if things couldn't get worse

Postby Kevinmoorefellover » March 20th, 2020, 7:07 am

The Lord giveth and the Chinese Takeaway.
no avatar
User

UPTHEPORT

Location

The Republic of Malpas

Re: As if things couldn't get worse

Postby UPTHEPORT » March 20th, 2020, 7:15 am

Corpaboy wrote:I get the impression you’re not a Liverpool fan , Jim ???

This has been suggested by a DUTCH guy , not a Liverpool follower , and will no doubt lift a lot of people's mental state at the moment .

See it for what it is ....
UTC



Hiya mate

Put it this way me and Mrs UTP where watching the news Wednesday she said without any promoting "That's the Liverpool song "i actually corrected her because Celtic fans took it up first

Back in the day loads of clubs adopted music hall songs such as blowing bubbles

She can't stand football as well!

Thing is your going to have half the Scottish nation alienated and a good proportion of the rest of the UK

Why not pick a neutral song like for example walking on Sunshine

I'm out
no avatar
User

UPTHEPORT

Location

The Republic of Malpas

Re: As if things couldn't get worse

Postby UPTHEPORT » March 20th, 2020, 7:20 am

lowandhard wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:A great song, but I prefer the lyrics of Psalm 91.

1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.’

3 Surely he will save you
from the fowler’s snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you say, ‘The Lord is my refuge,’
and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 ‘Because he loves me,’ says the Lord, ‘I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honour him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.’


Wtf was that gibberish? Do we allow contributions from demented chimpanzees? If I die it’ll be because the virus gets me not because a sky fairy failed to protect me!


Whatever gets you through Mike

I'm a left footer lapsed now mind but I know religion is a source of comfort to people

Your turning into a radicalised atheist :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Location

MT

Re: As if things couldn't get worse

Postby Exile 1976 » March 20th, 2020, 7:23 am

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:I get the impression you’re not a Liverpool fan , Jim ???

This has been suggested by a DUTCH guy , not a Liverpool follower , and will no doubt lift a lot of people's mental state at the moment .

See it for what it is ....
UTC



Hiya mate

Put it this way me and Mrs UTP where watching the news Wednesday she said without any promoting "That's the Liverpool song "i actually corrected her because Celtic fans took it up first

Back in the day loads of clubs adopted music hall songs such as blowing bubbles

She can't stand football as well!

Thing is your going to have half the Scottish nation alienated and a good proportion of the rest of the UK

Why not pick a neutral song like for example walking on Sunshine

I'm out



There’s no historical evidence to back up claims that Celtic fans sung it first, the Celtic fans started singing it in 1966, however there is Panorama footage of Liverpool fans singing it in 1964, just one year after GATP released their version.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Risca_Exile, rncfc, Trigger

Powered by phpBB ®