Re: GAME OFF

Countymax wrote:Sorry for all the fans who were inconvenienced but I'm glad it was called off to give the pitch a rest.
The pitch is knackered so wouldn't have made an ounce of difference, less likely to damage it when its slightly frozen and more solid than the rugby played in a downpour

Im sorry but i dont have any sympathy with any leicester fans who travelled 3 and a half hours to watch their under 23's play! They need a lesson in getting a life.

Temperature was lower last night around 6 than it was around 8-9. so no surprise it got called off when it did.

Some quotes from Leicester's manager -

“There was an inspection earlier, which I was part of, and it was playable.

"But the temperature dropped again and it just extended the area which was a little bit of a concern.

“You look at it and 90% of the pitch was playable, but that 10%, you can’t risk it.”

Amberexile wrote:Some quotes from Leicester's manager -

"But the temperature dropped again and it just extended the area which was a little bit of a concern.

“You look at it and 90% of the pitch was playable, but that 10%, you can’t risk it.”
I'd take that any day over the knee jerk reaction of a few fans who, understandably, were a bit pissed off, having spent the afternoon looking forward to a game of football.

Amberexile wrote:Some quotes from Leicester's manager -

As I stated earlier in the thread mate, the pitch was playable when inspected a couple of hours earlier.

Bush wrote:Im sorry but i dont have any sympathy with any leicester fans who travelled 3 and a half hours to watch their under 23's play! They need a lesson in getting a life.

Temperature was lower last night around 6 than it was around 8-9. so no surprise it got called off when it did.
What a sad first paragraph.
Out of interest what lesson would that be then?

Bush wrote:Im sorry but i dont have any sympathy with any leicester fans who travelled 3 and a half hours to watch their under 23's play! They need a lesson in getting a life.

I suspect most of them are family members of the u23

Imagine that going to watch your kids play football :roll:

Re-arranged for 4 Feb:-
Newport County AFC
@NewportCounty
·
18m
FIXTURE NEWS | #NCAFC's
@LeasingcomTrphy
match against
@LCFC
Under-21's will now be played at
@rodneyparade
on Tuesday 4th February, 7pm kick-off.

Club Statement:-
Everyone associated with Newport County AFC was disappointed by last night's postponement of our Leasing.Com Trophy Quarter Final against Leicester City U21s due to a frozen pitch.

In particular, the Club shares the disappointment of both sets of supporters who attended the match.

Despite frost covers being placed on the Rodney Parade pitch since NCAFC's win against Swindon Town on Saturday and the pitch firstly being deemed playable by the referee following an inspection upon his arrival to the stadium 5pm the condition of parts of the playing surface deteriorated when both sets of players came out to warm up and further concerns were then expressed.

In view of the deteriorating conditions and concerns regarding parts of th pitch, a further inspection took place by the match officials at 6.30pm and the pitch was deemed unplayable.

Ultimately, player safety must be prioritised above all other factors and the decision was taken by the referee after consulting with both managers to postpone the match to prevent any possible danger.

Supporters are encouraged to keep purchased tickets for this match as they will be valid for the re-arranged fixture.

Once the re-arranged date has been announced, details of how supporters with purchased tickets for last night can obtain a refund if they are unable to attend the new fixture will then be communicated.

UPTHEPORT wrote:

I suspect most of them are family members of the u23

Imagine that going to watch your kids play football :roll:
Or even family members of the U21s?

can I just point out to the less enlightened on here, 3 degrees would have been the air temperature, the ground would have a lot colder hence slippery pavements etc.

county37 wrote:can I just point out to the less enlightened on here, 3 degrees would have been the air temperature, the ground would have a lot colder hence slippery pavements etc.
Exactly. Sure that many gardeners will tell you that meteorological air temp. readings of 3 degrees taken at 1.25 meters above ground can result in ground/grass frost.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
county37 wrote:can I just point out to the less enlightened on here, 3 degrees would have been the air temperature, the ground would have a lot colder hence slippery pavements etc.
Exactly. Sure that many gardeners will tell you that meteorological air temp. readings of 3 degrees taken at 1.25 meters above ground can result in ground/grass frost.
That's because the ground has a much higher thermal capacity than the air. It takes longer to cool down than air and longer to heat up. At the start of winter when the air temperature falls to zero the ground stays above zero until there is a long cold spell. Then when the air temperature rises the ground stays frozen for a longer time.