Re: Grandstand - Macclesfield Away

Amberexile wrote:We missed Matt and Labadie hugely, need them both back soonest
TBH, I think that Jamille Matt adds another dimension to our game, he has impressed me greatly this season , and along with Padraig Amond would worry any team in our division, so missing him today was unfortunate, I hope he returns for the last 3 games!
Joss Labadie also missed, as he was also looking pretty much back to his best against Swindon until his injury! Let's Hope eh....
Still....All in the mixer so to speak, and we are Newport County.....COME ON 'U MIGHTY PORT.....

Let's keep ourselves in the mix for two big home gates if nothing else. Great effort to still be in with a shout as i thought we were dead and buried weeks ago!

Now let's try and tie down Day, Demetriou and Labadie, plus extensions for Matt and Amond. Whatever happens we're only an extra 12 points from automatic promotion. Let's keep our best players.

I posted similar to this on the MoM thread but a few thoughts:

Macc pitch was awful. Ball bobbled around like no tomorrow and affected both teams. However we played far too deep and ended up lumping long balls for McKirdy and Podge who were comfortable beaten near enough every time.

Speaking off McKirdy. He runs around a lot but the final product is awful. Gave the ball away countless times and made some real poor decisions when wither passing or shooting - should have been off at half time. Kennedy did more in 29 minutes than McKirdy offered in the previous 61. Kennedy must start if Matt is not playing. Actually scrap that - Kennedy must start after that performance.
Matt was on the bench??? Surely he was worth the 10 minutes Azeez got as this was a game we needed to win. He's obviously carrying a knock, but 10 minutes......

Playing Sheehan at DM with Dolan and Benno both sitting far too deep was a recipe for disaster. We were never going to threaten. How many shots on target in the first hour? Actually - how many shots did we take in the first hour? Sheehan playing at DM / QB was interesting. Midfield was there for the taking today. Strangely enough Bakinson could have made a big difference - I'm no fan but his direct running through the middle just could have caused some problems.

O'Brien was 100% solid all game. Mickey seemed to want to get forward a lot more today. Perhaps those goals have given him a new sniff. Poole probably put in his worst showing of the year - which was still not bad. He is a standout player and we have no chance of getting him back next season.

The wide guys were ok, but didn't quite have the impact we really needed to create decent chances.

Macc are fighting for survival but were still pretty poor. We got lucky with the other results going our way and our home form is so much better than on the road. 3 Cup finals........

Beefy

faerun exile wrote:
Special branch wrote:Then Pipe should have started. Anyone it's probably a good point to get. For me the toughest of the 3 matches will be Oldham.
If Exeter beat Oldham this Saturday then that’s Oldham out of the play off race - would think that would make our task easier on Tuesday evening.
I would rather Exeter not win to be honest