Ugly win

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

supporter

Posts

299

Ugly win

Postby supporter » March 16th, 2019, 9:35 am

First one of the season and a lot to like, by that I mean they ran themselves into the ground as a team and won every battle all over the ptich. I don't think we lost a header or tackle second half, players were running 40 yards to close people down.

Much improved compared to Colchester which as I've said is only the second time this season I haven't applauded because false praise is the worst type of praise you can give.

Looking at the fixtures all of our rivals are playing each other so they are definitely going to drop points and a some have got to come to RP so still a lot to play for.
no avatar
User

Countymadbell

Posts

113

Re: Ugly win

Postby Countymadbell » March 16th, 2019, 9:42 am

To have any chance of making the play offs we need to improve our away form, as our away form of late we got no chance
User avatar
User

lowandhard

Posts

8348

Location

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Re: Ugly win

Postby lowandhard » March 16th, 2019, 11:14 am

Well an ugly win is obviously much better than an ugly loss but tbh I didn’t see much in that performance to indicate any late season push up the league. However, you never know the rest may do them good. How about some warm weather training at Barry Island :grin:
no avatar
User

Alan G Bryant

Posts

769

Re: Ugly win

Postby Alan G Bryant » March 16th, 2019, 11:24 am

supporter wrote:First one of the season and a lot to like, by that I mean they ran themselves into the ground as a team and won every battle all over the ptich. I don't think we lost a header or tackle second half, players were running 40 yards to close people down.

Much improved compared to Colchester which as I've said is only the second time this season I haven't applauded because false praise is the worst type of praise you can give.

Looking at the fixtures all of our rivals are playing each other so they are definitely going to drop points and a some have got to come to RP so still a lot to play for.


Yes , we are certainly a different team at home. It is going to be interesting to see if the 15 day break helps or hinders us, hopefully they will get a week off and recharge the batteries for one big push.
no avatar
User

supporter

Posts

299

Re: Ugly win

Postby supporter » March 16th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Low and hard I saw better football performances at Swindon, Lincoln and we murdered MK dons home, points tally zero. The first thing we needed was a win and the second half showed we were prepared to do the ugly side of the game and the work rate was up a level on a difficult night.

I don't think Cheltenham had a shot of any real consequence. All big games now and as my daughter said to me when she got in the car- we're only 5 points off the playoffs now dad and because teams are playing each today we will make up a minimum of 2 points on some of them and 3 on others. Can we slowly draw teams in like the great escape I honestly don't know but we mainly did it last time with hard fought 1-0 wins and we've added quality since then.

One thing I do know is if our home games are like the fgr performance and our away games are like the Colchester performance we'll have no chance.
no avatar
User

supporter

Posts

299

Re: Ugly win

Postby supporter » March 16th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Exeter the only playoff chasers to match us this weekend. Made up 3 points on Colchester and 2 points on Stevenage, Fgr, Carlisle, Swindon and Northampton, bloody hell win our game in hand and we're 3 points being fgr who would've thought that a couple of weeks ago, put a couple of wins together and this could be back in our hands in a couple of weeks.
User avatar
User

The NCFC Hippy

Posts

502

Re: Ugly win

Postby The NCFC Hippy » March 16th, 2019, 6:53 pm

As we discussed after the match I take a different slant on it - of course a wins always good but the last few games I’ve seen I think we’re on a big change of direction to rubbish league two football - two big guys up front with more grunt than guile - a non passing midfield and punts down the channels - it’s rubbish to watch and more importantly it usually ends in tears - when we play the good teams we’lol get done over - bit of course hope I’m wrong and UTC
no avatar
User

supporter

Posts

299

Re: Ugly win

Postby supporter » March 16th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Yep footballs all about opinions Neal, for me we were good against Carlisle and last night the result was the most important thing and the second half was much improved.

I think we battered them up front and sides hate our physical threat. We're clever at set pieces and the one free kick routine second half where Butler chipped it forward just outside the area was an example of this. Its win at all costs for me and if we put a few results back to back then the confidence will grow.
no avatar
User

Alan G Bryant

Posts

769

Re: Ugly win

Postby Alan G Bryant » March 16th, 2019, 8:38 pm

With all due respect last night was our 3rd game in 6 days on the back of two long away trips, the effort second half was phenomenal.
User avatar
User

lowandhard

Posts

8348

Location

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Re: Ugly win

Postby lowandhard » March 17th, 2019, 12:33 pm

supporter wrote:Low and hard I saw better football performances at Swindon, Lincoln and we murdered MK dons home, points tally zero. The first thing we needed was a win and the second half showed we were prepared to do the ugly side of the game and the work rate was up a level on a difficult night.

I don't think Cheltenham had a shot of any real consequence. All big games now and as my daughter said to me when she got in the car- we're only 5 points off the playoffs now dad and because teams are playing each today we will make up a minimum of 2 points on some of them and 3 on others. Can we slowly draw teams in like the great escape I honestly don't know but we mainly did it last time with hard fought 1-0 wins and we've added quality since then.

One thing I do know is if our home games are like the fgr performance and our away games are like the Colchester performance we'll have no chance.


:grin: you’re right of course about the latter point.
Luckily the horse-botherers had absolutely no idea how to win that game and played long diagonals towards our box which were meat and bread for our defenders. Maybe we do need the r&r and time to re-group as we’re not totally out of it - at least on paper. Either way, nothing to lose and worth a shot.
Maybe some of the cup money might be well deployed on a small treat in pleasant surroundings to prepare for a final push? We may get it back with tv money from the playoffs, it’s a thought isn’t it?
User avatar
User

Amberexile

Posts

5994

Location

Sheffield

Re: Ugly win

Postby Amberexile » March 17th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Must admit I was concerned when they brought the big fella on. I mistakenly expected them to kick the ball towards him but he seemed to be a decoy
User avatar
User

The NCFC Hippy

Posts

502

Re: Ugly win

Postby The NCFC Hippy » March 17th, 2019, 6:16 pm

I know this could be a glass half full angle but I think we are definitely moving to a deliberate new more direct style of play - I think we could beat someone like Yeovil but when we come up against teams who can play a bit then we will come un stuck - the beginning of the season and we were a good side to watch as well as being successful now we look exactly what we will end up being imho which is a mid table usual league two team - now with our budget etc this is all good but from how we started the season as a good footballing side I find our new turn a bit worrying tbh - but let’s see - UTC
User avatar
User

lowandhard

Posts

8348

Location

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Re: Ugly win

Postby lowandhard » March 17th, 2019, 6:20 pm

The NCFC Hippy wrote:I know this could be a glass half full angle but I think we are definitely moving to a deliberate new more direct style of play - I think we could beat someone like Yeovil but when we come up against teams who can play a bit then we will come un stuck - the beginning of the season and we were a good side to watch as well as being successful now we look exactly what we will end up being imho which is a mid table usual league two team - now with our budget etc this is all good but from how we started the season as a good footballing side I find our new turn a bit worrying tbh - but let’s see - UTC


Perhaps it’s because we haven’t got a midfield worth mentioning and merely worth bypassing?
User avatar
User

SJG99

Posts

1650

Location

The End of the Hedge

Re: Ugly win

Postby SJG99 » March 17th, 2019, 7:13 pm

The NCFC Hippy wrote:As we discussed after the match I take a different slant on it - of course a wins always good but the last few games I’ve seen I think we’re on a big change of direction to rubbish league two football - two big guys up front with more grunt than guile - a non passing midfield and punts down the channels - it’s rubbish to watch and more importantly it usually ends in tears - when we play the good teams we’lol get done over - bit of course hope I’m wrong and UTC


I thought we played more on the ground against Northampton than we had for months, tbh. Our early season success was based on having the directness in attack but also having the confidence to knock it around in midfield without just giving back possession immediately and control a game - making the opposition work to get the ball and in some cases making them realise they were outclassed which led to them trying less.

Most of our away problems stem from an inability to take hold of the game in that way, and there's a correlation between our tactics and Bakinson's recent relative lack of impact too.
no avatar
User

Cornish Exile

Posts

4554

Re: Ugly win

Postby Cornish Exile » March 17th, 2019, 8:31 pm

lowandhard wrote:
The NCFC Hippy wrote:I know this could be a glass half full angle but I think we are definitely moving to a deliberate new more direct style of play - I think we could beat someone like Yeovil but when we come up against teams who can play a bit then we will come un stuck - the beginning of the season and we were a good side to watch as well as being successful now we look exactly what we will end up being imho which is a mid table usual league two team - now with our budget etc this is all good but from how we started the season as a good footballing side I find our new turn a bit worrying tbh - but let’s see - UTC


Perhaps it’s because we haven’t got a midfield worth mentioning and merely worth bypassing?



Labade and Bennett are as good as any in the Division.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests

Powered by phpBB ®