Re: From 1989 to here

Alan G Bryant wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:
The point being that in 1986 we did not own the club. If a Jerry Sherman comes knocking in 2020 we have the choice.

As for having infustructure , whilst it helps , it guarantees nothing. Orient , Darlington , Rushden , Chesterfield , Stockport , York etc they all have the infustructure, but not the team.
If you don't understand the difference between getting relegated and going bust there is really nothing more to be said. We would have gone bust if Jerry Sherman had been born in a small town in Washington state called Cardiff.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I have Sherman down as a fantasist narcissist.

I'm no expert on that era, but I wonder if the greatest damage was caused by him destroying the credibility of the people who let him in - because they had done that. When the club then most needed public goodwill, there was none left.
For me, the greatest damage he did was to carry on with the fantasy that the money was coming and people were conned into believing it and giving him a level of power within the club until a time when it was too late for somebody else to save the club.

All in the past now. I wonder if we would be looking forward to Saturday's match as much as we are if we hadn't been through all of this in order to get here?

Amberexile wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:I have Sherman down as a fantasist narcissist.

I'm no expert on that era, but I wonder if the greatest damage was caused by him destroying the credibility of the people who let him in - because they had done that. When the club then most needed public goodwill, there was none left.
For me, the greatest damage he did was to carry on with the fantasy that the money was coming and people were conned into believing it and giving him a level of power within the club until a time when it was too late for somebody else to save the club.

All in the past now. I wonder if we would be looking forward to Saturday's match as much as we are if we hadn't been through all of this in order to get here?
Agree with that, if he had not have turned up both the FAW and the council may have offered more assistance or a local businessmen might have bailed us out. I guess we will never know

Who knows if we wouid have gone bust, but you are right on the anticipation.
Last edited by Alan G Bryant on February 14th, 2019, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Justanordinaryfan wrote:"]Well, Feb 89 we were lost to the wilderness. Spring of 89, a group of people Coordinated a number of County supporters to take the leap to create a new club ( which we all knew meant, continuing the Old club!). The travails and financial commitment of those committed fans going to Wantage, Kintbury ( 3-0 defeat!), Shortwood etc! 500 + at our first game at Moreton. Look where we are now. And we have so many supporters who have grown up with this club and have their own experiences. I do despair at the negativity shown by some of the posters on this forum. We are playing Man City this sarturday. I was part of the group establishing our new club. Our object was to regain English football league status. It had attachments including FA Cup access. This week, 30 years of guts delivers. Now, can we all just enjoy this fantastic moment, please?
God Kingsbury Rangers - I remember that so well - I remember we rocked up all billy big balls, expecting to turn them over easily, as we did most teams that season, and got our arses well and truly kicked !! Gives me some hope for Saturday!

( Don’t know why but I distinctly remember a good barbecue at Kintbury!!).
Me too, 3-0, although if memory served it was Kintbury.[/quote]

Yeah definitely Kintbury must have been auto spell or something !!

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:1979, we beat West Ham. 1980, the season of triumph. 1981 Quarter Final of a major European competition. 1983 Easter, 1-0 v Cardiff, top of the old third division. And five years later oblivion.

Are we negative or are we just fans able to see that unless in good times you lay down solid foundations it can all implode very quickly?

I think the difference being that this time if a Jerry Sherman comes forward, all the owners will all have a choice as to whether we want someone like that involved.
Anyone who thinks Jerry Sherman caused County to go under is wrong. Sherman was a vulture. He turned up merely to try to pick the bones of a dead club.

We went bust because we wrongly believed that building a team was more important than building a club. Put simply we didn't put the infrastructure in place.
We had only just bought the ground from the Council. Didn't help us much did it? Owning the ground causes a new set of problems and costs. Ask Morton, Gloucester and Newport Rugby.

Moreton was just a field in the middle of nowhere apart from non league football how could the generate income ?...
Gloucester was in a flood area and there ground got ruined by the River severn massively flooding and ruining it so bad it has been left to rot
Newport RFC had owned RP for years...They were doing ok until the Dragons were created

Hardly an example of how owning your own ground is bad for you....Newport could and should have sold off the cabbage patch and the areas around that area to pay off their debts rather than their shareholders voting that the WRU was the best way forward

neilcork68 wrote:Moreton was just a field in the middle of nowhere apart from non league football how could the generate income ?...
Gloucester was in a flood area and there ground got ruined by the River severn massively flooding and ruining it so bad it has been left to rot
Newport RFC had owned RP for years...They were doing ok until the Dragons were created

Hardly an example of how owning your own ground is bad for you....Newport could and should have sold off the cabbage patch and the areas around that area to pay off their debts rather than their shareholders voting that the WRU was the best way forward
Newport had planning granted for the student towers, but consent linked to redeveloping the ground first. The day after the planning lapsed, the WRU announced their interest. However the link has been established, and any future development of the cabbage patch will also be linked to ground redevelopment ( just not the 18,000 seater stadium that the towers could have delivered).

Moreton didn't aspire to anything above non league, but owning their ground, and above average club house didn't provide for them did it?

There are a number examples of clubs who have owned their own ground and have got into financial difficulties.
There are a number of examples of clubs who have owned their own ground and have not got into financial difficulties.
All that proves is that there is little if any correlation between ground ownership and financial success.

Amberexile wrote:There are a number examples of clubs who have owned their own ground and have got into financial difficulties.
There are a number of examples of clubs who have owned their own ground and have not got into financial difficulties.
All that proves is that there is little if any correlation between ground ownership and financial success.
There is no evidence of a club who rents from another club being successful.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:There are a number examples of clubs who have owned their own ground and have got into financial difficulties.
Off the top of my head, Brighton and Hove Albion, Charlton Athletic and Newport County come to mind as teams who have used this model as a route to success. I'm sure there will be others and some for whom it has led to failure.

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Off the top of my head, Brighton and Hove Albion, Charlton Athletic and Newport County come to mind as teams who have used this model as a route to success. I'm sure there will be others and some for whom it has led to failure.
Never realised Brighton rented their ground. I always wondered why opposing fans called them The Rentboys.

Man Utd had to play at Man City's Maine Road for about 5 years straight after WW2 as, IIRC, Old Trafford got bombed by the Luftwaffe. Cost them about £5k pa and a share of the gate.

The Wombles played at Selhurst, again for about 5 years.

Bristol Rovers rented Twerton Pk for about a decade.

Fulham played at QPR for a couple of years.

Willthiswork wrote:Didn't Man City rent their stadium initially?
They still do. It is owned by Manchester City Council hence Man Utd fans calling it the Council House. Man Utd did of course ground share with Man City at Maine Road for a while after the war as Old Trafford had been bombed.