Re: Shrews and Mike Flynn

Kevinmoorefellover wrote:I would imagine Flynny will ask for the advice of Lennie Lawrence in regard to the Shrewsbury job. Lennie’s first job as a manager was at Charlton and he was there for years. Hopefully he will persuade MF that the right thing to do is build a solid reputation at the County and gain maximum experience while doing it. Once MF’s reputation is assured he will have multiple opportunities to manage at a higher level.
Flynn has been manager for 18 months. In his first season he produced a miracle. In his second season there was a solid league campaign and a good Cup run. This season he is challenging for promotion in the late autumn.

A manager's stock goes up and down. It's high now. It can go a little higher over the next six months but the potential fall is far greater.

When he says "it is very flattering' he is making it clear to Shrewsbury and/or the next potential suitor that he is up for the move.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Marky wrote:People are talking as if this is a decision for Shrewsbury and Flynn to make and Newport County have no say in the matter, he is under contract here until 2020.
Edinburgh, Sheridan, Holdsworth were all under contract. Westley, Feeney, Hudson were all protected by contracts.
I didn't realise that as a player MF took £1 for every attendee. I know that you say you don't blame him, but, I do. That is not nice.

I'll be at the game today. I would like to think that no person at the club gets a direct payment from my hard earned. The club obviously, but not an individual.

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Marky wrote:People are talking as if this is a decision for Shrewsbury and Flynn to make and Newport County have no say in the matter, he is under contract here until 2020.
Edinburgh, Sheridan, Holdsworth were all under contract. Westley, Feeney, Hudson were all protected by contracts.
I didn't realise that as a player MF took £1 for every attendee. I know that you say you don't blame him, but, I do. That is not nice.

I'll be at the game today. I would like to think that no person at the club gets a direct payment from my hard earned. The club obviously, but not an individual.

He didn’t Mike. It was, I believe, £1 per attendee over 1000 fans.

pembsexile wrote:Fao Exile1976. Thanks for the clarification mate. Still stinks though. If he got a cut when he put an increase on the average gate, I could perhaps understand that. Money and football eh?
Flynn is shrewd he knows his chosen career is precarious so he has always chased the money - he did not come back to play for County our loyalty or because he was from Newport it was for the money.
I don’t blame him and that is why I feel he will prosper as a manager he is focussed get’s things down and constantly chases success / more money etc

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
County ranger wrote:Throughout his playing career Flynn went where the opportunity / money was and who can blame him. If he gets a better financial offer / contract length he has to consider it and probably take it. Loyalty does not 5he pay the bills and three / four losses on the bounce people will be calling for his head!
I agree. For us football/County are a passion. For Flynn it's a job. That is not a criticism, it's a fact.
Morning Brendan. You have just used pure logic. I agree about the job bit. Surely you can see that for MF it is a passion as well. For me, that shines through.
Flynn has passion that is why he is successful the point is he will be passionate for anyone who pays his salary - not a criticism but an assessment of a success character.

I found this quote particularly telling "The board have been very helpful with the Joss Labadie deal and I know they’ll back me in January.”
Basically saying that if he doesn't get this job if we want him here for the long haul we need to put enough money into the club now to enable the board to create a viable business model in the summer.
He knows where the money for Labadie came from and that that well is neither bottomless nor sufficient to fund his ambitions with us.

Spiderman wrote:The figure was £1 per attendee over 1,700 supporters. Mike didn't demand this he was offered it by Tim Harris to entice him to the club.
Why do you think I am being critical of Flynn for earning as much as he can? I'm not.

The point I am making is that Flynn like everyone else will make decisions regarding his career only on what he feels to be in his own best interest. In football there are only two groups of people who are loyal. Fans are one. The other is, actually there's only one group of people in football who are loyal.

aberexile wrote:Here's to a Shrewsbury win against Rochdale today lads. Then, an away win at Wycombe next weekend with an fa cup victory at Salford in between. Coyne the caretaker manager may get the job then. We can focus on the playoffs again.
Well done Danny boy, Shrews won today - his odds have shortened to 16/1