Re: Shrews and Mike Flynn

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Justanordinaryfan wrote:Or move away.
You can move away. But you never leave. I haven't lived in Newport for forty years, but when I drive in these days I come off at the Coldra, just to see her streets.
Good evening Brendan. For me it's nearly 46 years - January 1973 in fact. The old cliches are true - you can take the boy out of Newport, but you can't take Newport out of the boy. Very proud of that.

You mentioned the Coldra - not footy related I know, but, that it where I exit the M4 as well. Got stuck on it for over 10 mins on Friday afternoon. Dropped the missus off at the Celtic but then couldn't turn right back onto Chepstow Rd. Comes from living away for so long I suppose. Bloody Coldra. Bloody Newport traffic. :grin:

I think that the better facilities which exist at Shrewsbury could be a big attraction for a manager, plus not having to play on a rugby pitch which can only be accessed on match days.

Ricketts doesn't sound very enthusiastic about leaving Wrexham. I reckon the job is Flynn's if he wants it.

So, take up the opportunity to manage a club who fired their previous manager after 18 matches. That manager having won the National League last season. And to do so because of their training facilities?? Or stay where he is with an opportunity to get little ol' Newport in the playoffs which may give him better offers to move on in July if he so choses. I hope you're wrong.

G Guest wrote:I did not say he would take it But from what I've read I will be surprised if he is not offered it.
Fair enough. However, the way football mangers are dispensed with at the moment, another (better post) will become vacant. In the meantime, he can continue to improve his CV with us.

MF has done a great job for us.Because of that and he is a local boy,he gets quite a bit of slack.We have had four heavy defeats so far this season yet no one has questioned his position and rightly so.Imagine he was Shrewsbury manager and they lose 6-0 at home,the knives would be out.He knows this so won't be going anywhere just yet.

It's reported that they have had numerous applications and "expressions of interest" from managers and agents, including several from former managers of Championship clubs.

They say they intend to take their time preparing a short-list before making an appointment.

Meanwhile, they have made a decent start under their caretaker. Who knows, they may even appoint him.

The way I see it ......
Michael Flynn is a Newport boy . He's currently doing a fantastic job of getting his home town team in a great position for a promotion push .
He's got one of the smallest budgets in League football , but has still got us into the position we currently find ourselves in .
All of that following The Great Escape , followed by the FA Cup run last season .
He walks around the town , proudly wearing his County tracksuit , and has a massive smile on his face as he does it .
If he can get us promoted , or even into the play offs this season after the struggle we've had , that smile and pride will increase ten-fold .
His CV will be written for him , and he will then have LOADS of offers of Clubs to manage .

Compare that current position to an offer from the "mighty" Shrewsbury where it could all quite easily go wrong for him .......

I don't think he'll be going anywhere just yet ?

But then , what do I know ??

Lysaght Dancer wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Thats the trouble with doing well in the league it puts everyone in the shop window players as well
The trouble is not that County doing well cause bigger clubs to come in for the manager or players. That is inevitable and is as true for Newcastle United as it is for Newport County. And if Aston Villa, or Nottingham Forest wanted Flynn or any other County manager then there is bugger all we can do.

Our problem is that we can't resist approaches from the likes of Shrewsbury, or Oldham or Gillingham or Aldershot, for f@ck's sake Aldershot.

Newport is a big town/city. We should be at least the equal of Shrewsbury, population 71,000, or Aldershot, population 36,000. Newport population 145,000. Newport conurbation 338,000.
Although I agree that our crowds are not good enough, the population argument doesn’t work in context. The rugby effect is huge in Newport and I don’t just mean the failing Dragons. Wales play about 6-8 home matches a year as well and Newport has always been a rugby town, something Shrewsbury haven’t had to worry about.

I would bet that if you asked 10 random people in Newport to name a Newport County player, only 1 person would get it right. We are still a small club but it’s gettibg better and will continue to get better the longer that we stay in the football league.
I've rarely agreed with your comments previously, but I'm in agreement with everything you say this time. I believe if as a club we are able to bring academy players through to the first team in the future it would have a positive, yet not dramatic effect on the attendences. I know I'm only one man, but I have been someone who has always preferred watching and playing (very long time ago) rugby to football, but this season I have only missed one home County game, and Yeovil apart, have thoroughly enjoyed the players efforts and qualities; as well as the very good atmosphere. Really looking forward to the rest of the season. Sadly not something I can say about watching the Dragons underwhelming and underperforming efforts this season.
Back to the threads title though. Obviously there are very few perceived 'smaller' clubs in the EFL and bigger clubs will always try to entice away successful players, managers and coaches, but I hope on this occasion that Shrewsbury is not a big enough enticement to override the Loyalty that I believe MF has to his hometown club.

Flynn is settled in the area and also has a young family, for me even if they want him it is the wrong move, it is a 3 hour commute, at least, that is if he does not relocate. It is also likely that the Bristol Rovers job could become available soon. I also think that Flynn is astute enough to realise that he has a squad capable of achieving great things this season which will take his stock even higher in the Summer.

It is interesting that Edinburgh has already publicly distanced himself from the Wimbledon job, perhaps he is learning.