Re: Shrews and Mike Flynn

Is Shrewsbury the right job for Flynn? They do have an excellent setup, are a league higher than us, and are close enough for MF not to have to uproot his family. However, if Flynn is offered the job and turns it down his stock rises even further with County fans. Then, when a club with serious potential like Bradford come calling, he can justifiably say he has shown loyalty in the past but, on this occasion, can't turn down the opportunity.

Well, there will likely be two dozen or more vacancies to worry about over the course of the season, including (the way things are going) at least one of Flynn’s former clubs.

Realistically Flynn will move on in the next year or two, though I would expect him not to go off half-cocked to the first mediocre L1 club to make him an offer.

JonD wrote:Well, there will likely be two dozen or more vacancies to worry about over the course of the season, including (the way things are going) at least one of Flynn’s former clubs.

Realistically Flynn will move on in the next year or two, though I would expect him not to go off half-cocked to the first mediocre L1 club to make him an offer.
Didn't they just about miss out on the Championship last season? They've got their own ground and training ground. Definitely a step up from our set up! Who we trying to kid calling them mediocre? If Flynny went I'd be gutted, I'd like to think he'd stay and at least get us promotion as that will look much better on CV, but I'm also realistic enough to know that alot can change fast in football, a string of bad results and there would be plenty with short memories calling for his head on here...

UPTHEPORT wrote:Thats the trouble with doing well in the league it puts everyone in the shop window players as well
The trouble is not that County doing well cause bigger clubs to come in for the manager or players. That is inevitable and is as true for Newcastle United as it is for Newport County. And if Aston Villa, or Nottingham Forest wanted Flynn or any other County manager then there is bugger all we can do.

Our problem is that we can't resist approaches from the likes of Shrewsbury, or Oldham or Gillingham or Aldershot, for f@ck's sake Aldershot.

Newport is a big town/city. We should be at least the equal of Shrewsbury, population 71,000, or Aldershot, population 36,000. Newport population 145,000. Newport conurbation 338,000.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Thats the trouble with doing well in the league it puts everyone in the shop window players as well
The trouble is not that County doing well cause bigger clubs to come in for the manager or players. That is inevitable and is as true for Newcastle United as it is for Newport County. And if Aston Villa, or Nottingham Forest wanted Flynn or any other County manager then there is bugger all we can do.

Our problem is that we can't resist approaches from the likes of Shrewsbury, or Oldham or Gillingham or Aldershot, for f@ck's sake Aldershot.

Newport is a big town/city. We should be at least the equal of Shrewsbury, population 71,000, or Aldershot, population 36,000. Newport population 145,000. Newport conurbation 338,000.
Although I agree that our crowds are not good enough, the population argument doesn’t work in context. The rugby effect is huge in Newport and I don’t just mean the failing Dragons. Wales play about 6-8 home matches a year as well and Newport has always been a rugby town, something Shrewsbury haven’t had to worry about.

I would bet that if you asked 10 random people in Newport to name a Newport County player, only 1 person would get it right. We are still a small club but it’s gettibg better and will continue to get better the longer that we stay in the football league.

Lysaght Dancer wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Although I agree that our crowds are not good enough, the population argument doesn’t work in context. The rugby effect is huge in Newport and I don’t just mean the failing Dragons. Wales play about 6-8 home matches a year as well and Newport has always been a rugby town, something Shrewsbury haven’t had to worry about.

I would bet that if you asked 10 random people in Newport to name a Newport County player, only 1 person would get it right. We are still a small club but it’s gettibg better and will continue to get better the longer that we stay in the football league.
I believe that our failure over 30 years to develop a stadium is only a symptom, the most destructive symptom but nonetheless a symptom of our real problem. That problem is the Newport mentality. Little old Newport. We can't compete with Cardiff or Bristol. Really said by a Newport councillor. Newport County fans should forget County and follow Cardiff City. Really said by an Argus journalist. Newport should become a suburb of Cardiff. Really said by a Newport billionaire.

Not for me. As I have said elsewhere I am awesome. Everything about me is awesome. I am proud to be from Newport because it can and should be regarded as the most awesome f@cking town on God's earth.

And anyone who disagrees can go and do one.