Re: Interesting Tweet from David Buttress

I think David buttress is the perfect appointment in regards to our future at Rodney parade. Think it's a huge disappointment he's not investing in the county and even CEO. Still say if legally it's allowed he should be co-opted onto our board like our chairman should be co-opted onto theirs. We need to look towards sharing ticket offices and shop in the future.

The only report of possible structure change I can find is the suggestion thst the £1.6 million which the WRU feed into the Premiership every year be redirected to regional A teams to operate below the Pro14 level with the ordinary clubs such as Cross Keys being non_professional. This would appear to reinforce the regional principle rather than detract from it.

Think it’s too early to be co opting onto boards. But agree completely he should be an invited guest at the next open meeting.

Robin Davy is a cheap sports related Katie Hopkins. Throwing tweets out there in order to stir controversy and remain as the story rather than reporting on events. Part ego, part trying to remain visible. Perfectly called out by Pearlman and put down by the Dragons guy.

G Guest wrote:The only report of possible structure change I can find is the suggestion thst the £1.6 million which the WRU feed into the Premiership every year be redirected to regional A teams to operate below the Pro14 level with the ordinary clubs such as Cross Keys being non_professional. This would appear to reinforce the regional principle rather than detract from it.
Okay George (I know what you mean now Stan)

To be fair to the bloke he talks a good game but can he back it up? I certainly hope so.

He wants to develop the cabbage patch into a hotel/restraint/office space using capital raised by the Dragons board. Therefore allowing the Dragons to have a permenant alternative source of income. A good strategy in my opinion and if this goes ahead I believe we should invest as much money as we can into the development in return for a % of the income generated once the project has completed.

I also like how he isn't too pleased that all 3 Newport teams aren't under the same roof with regards to club shops and ticket offices.

I agree with everything he says. Especially that he has realized that you can sit around for years talking about what you would like to do or you can get on with it. You can moan about your difficulties and why Newport is totally different economically from everywhere else or you can sit down around a table with the city council and discuss how to progress. As a Newportonian I am pleased for the Dragons, as a County supporter I am envious that someone of his ilk hasn't ever been in control at our club.

Now a serious question for you to consider. Do we try and throw in our lot with the rugby. Use our Cup and transfer windfall to become partners with the rugby or do we remain as tenants?

My view is that if we merely ask for an extended license to remain at Rodney Parade we will simply be part of the Dragons revenue scheme. At the moment the WRU own Rodney Parade. Nothing can progress without the support of Newport City Council. Newport County have a healthy bank account. I don't suggest that we seek anything more or anything less than standing shoulder to shoulder with Dragons to progress sport in our town.

This is possibly, come to think of it very probably the final time in my life that County have the opportunity to achieve our full potential. I hope that the new regime and especially Kevin Ward use every bit of influence they have to ensure that Newport County can be a team of which the city of Newport can be proud.

When we first played at RP we did share the shop and ticket office but that didn't seem to work. We really need to keep people who live and breath Newport County in our front office. The rugby staff, understandably, are disinterested in football.

I am confused by the lack of reference to the WRU who are the people who own RP. The Dragons don't own anything. But it's possible that the development of the site is part of Buttress's brief, given to him by the WRU.

G Guest wrote:When we first played at RP we did share the shop and ticket office but that didn't seem to work. We really need to keep people who live and breath Newport County in our front office. The rugby staff, understandably, are disinterested in football.

I am confused by the lack of reference to the WRU who are the people who own RP. The Dragons don't own anything. But it's possible that the development of the site is part of Buttress's brief, given to him by the WRU.
The WRU bought Rodney Parade for a pittance. I think that the real power here lies with Newport City Council. The land at Rodney Parade is worth many millions if it can be developed, undeveloped it is just land, 10/- an acre.

To develop as a football stadium it can either be done by the Dragons in tandem with the city council or with the city council, Dragons and County working together. Whether County are able to persuade the Dragons that we should be allowed to come on board I don't know. However two points in our favour. Firstly for once the club is financially stable and can make a contribution. Secondly nothing can progress without the support of the Council and there are votes in ensuring Newport County are not the poor relations.
This really is a great chance for all of Newport to stop being second best. I sincerely hope we have the courage to take it.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:It is crazy that there are three clubs based at the same stadium and they don't pool their resources on back office functions (HR, ticketing, admin etc). There are efficiencies and improvements that could easily be made by doing so - to all three's benefit.
Isn't the issue that County and Newport RFC rely on volunteers to run certain aspects of the business whilst the Dragons have paid full-time staff?

Willthiswork wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:It is crazy that there are three clubs based at the same stadium and they don't pool their resources on back office functions (HR, ticketing, admin etc). There are efficiencies and improvements that could easily be made by doing so - to all three's benefit.
Isn't the issue that County and Newport RFC rely on volunteers to run certain aspects of the business whilst the Dragons have paid full-time staff?
I think that's true for the shop (and possibly the ticket office), but I can't believe that we let volunteers handle our HR. In any case, if we're after a more professional setup then that may require all three partners contributing towards staff costs, and volunteers being prepared to help teams other than their own at times. That's not a simple thing, but it's ludicrous that we'd let volunteers stop us from realising our potential.

George Street-Bridge wrote:There were reports when we first moved in - OK, it's several years ago now - of shop staff with an apparent chip on the shoulder about us sharing being surly with County supporters.
Also at least one of the ticket sales girls was pretty miserable as well. This is why I don't want non-football people facing the public and representing Newport County.