Re: Are we promotion candidates

Exile 1976 wrote:The move from League Two to League One seems to be a huge step up (as opposed to Connie - League 2) ... Look at Plymouth and Donny, both big clubs, absolutely walked our league last season (alongside Pompey who admittedly are doing well) and both struggling big time.
If we went up this season, without a big injection of cash we'd certainly be straight back down Imo.... That said, I'd rip your hand off to be promoted to League 1, we could worry what happens when we get there..
On the other hand, historically unfashionable clubs like Rochdale have been up there for a few years now and are always in the top half on pretty poor crowds. I'm not convinced we'd come straight back down if we did go up.

Based on what I've seen this season, I'd say we could quite easily go up via the play-off's. I think we have the players to potentially go on a bit of a run, and if we add to it we could sneak into the top 3. I do get frustrated how we seem to go into our shells a bit whenever we get a lead as there are some sides we've drawn with this season who I think we would've demolished if we had gone for the jugular.

Firstly Flynn has done brilliantly. Always said it felt like that season under Sir Len before we went up. Flirting but ultimately that 3-2 at Aldershot not just a highlight but presidence of things to come. I don' think they did either did they? But the following season...once ripe. Oh that team.

Could this generation out do them, sneak the play-offs and Wemberleee. They could you know, very possibly.

Lost in Willesden wrote:Firstly Flynn has done brilliantly. Always said it felt like that season under Sir Len before we went up. Flirting but ultimately that 3-2 at Aldershot not just a highlight but presidence of things to come. I don' think they did either did they? But the following season...once ripe. Oh that team.

Could this generation out do them, sneak the play-offs and Wemberleee. They could you know, very possibly.
I remember that Aldershot game well. 2-0 up and having been dragged back to 2-2 a fairly late winner. What is often though forgotten about that season is that we started really badly. Including the worst performance I have ever seen by any team in any game, 1-2 at home to Aldershot.
I think though that the team we had between 1979 and 1983 was far and away the greatest County team ever.
Could this generation out do them? I don't think so, I'd love to be wrong but a forward choice of Aldridge, Tynan, Goddard and Gwyther, Oakes and Davies, Byrne, Walden and Relish at the back. Vaughan and Lowndes in midfield.

That's a definite no.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Lost in Willesden wrote:Firstly Flynn has done brilliantly. Always said it felt like that season under Sir Len before we went up. Flirting but ultimately that 3-2 at Aldershot not just a highlight but presidence of things to come. I don' think they did either did they? But the following season...once ripe. Oh that team.

I remember that Aldershot game well. 2-0 up and having been dragged back to 2-2 a fairly late winner. What is often though forgotten about that season is that we started really badly. Including the worst performance I have ever seen by any team in any game, 1-2 at home to Aldershot.
I think though that the team we had between 1979 and 1983 was far and away the greatest County team ever.
Could this generation out do them? I don't think so, I'd love to be wrong but a forward choice of Aldridge, Tynan, Goddard and Gwyther, Oakes and Davies, Byrne, Walden and Relish at the back. Vaughan and Lowndes in midfield.

That's a definite no.
You've forgotten the winger Kevin Moore. He has to play.

We had 2 decent keepers too in Plumley and Kendall.

If we could strengthen the midfield we may have a chance of the playoffs.

Good though that team of 4 decades ago was, in the promotion season they were far from unbeatable. Remember the 2-0 loss to lowly Rochdale in the penultimate game which meant having to win at top 4 Walsall in the final game.

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

That's a definite no.
You've forgotten the winger Kevin Moore. He has to play.
And Neil Bailey. Mark Kendall. That was one golden period

Blackandamber wrote:We had 2 decent keepers too in Plumley and Kendall.

If we could strengthen the midfield we may have a chance of the playoffs.

Good though that team of 4 decades ago was, in the promotion season they were far from unbeatable. Remember the 2-0 loss to lowly Rochdale in the penultimate game which meant having to win at top 4 Walsall in the final game.
We lost to George Courtney that night. Normally I criticize referees let alone question their integrity. That night George Courtney was the most inept cheating homer I have ever seen.

I know what you mean about it feeling like the season before we went up under Len Ashurst. What I recall about that season was that we were, after a bad start, pretty much unbeatable at home but really struggled to get anything away from Somerton Park. Aldershot were one of our bogey teams and, as you say, it was a sign of things to come when we beat them down there. I was at that game and I have this recollection that one of the Aldershot defenders, Bob Wooller, scored an own goal.

I think that might have also been the season where we played at Hereford in the snow. It was just before Christmas and it was played with an orange ball to make it distinct from the snow covered pitch. A great game that we won 3-0. Things were definitely building that season.

Harps62 wrote:All Mike needs to do is stop the whole side going deeper and deeper for the last 30 minutes.
If he can achieve that we are certainties for at least the play offs.
If he cannot, mid table is where we will end up.
We need to stop hoofing it all the time first, seeing us on a fairly sporadic basis I've seen us go from a physical defensive team who plays through the middle and attacks from wide or via direct balls, to a team which basically just plays long balls - give the ball away too much and you get very tired chasing the opposition, and that's why they've been backing deeper and deeper. I did notice against Swindon we put it on the deck a bit more and as a result seemed to get stronger not more tired as the game goes on.

I do think we're promotion candidates, as the core of this season's team was on play-off form from when Flynn took over, but every team needs a bit of luck and we'll need more of the Cambridge last 5 minutes and less of the Barnet to stay in contention. We're good enough though. Certainly hope so, I've got enough bet on them at various odds.

SJG99 wrote:
Harps62 wrote:All Mike needs to do is stop the whole side going deeper and deeper for the last 30 minutes.
If he can achieve that we are certainties for at least the play offs.
If he cannot, mid table is where we will end up.
We need to stop hoofing it all the time first, seeing us on a fairly sporadic basis I've seen us go from a physical defensive team who plays through the middle and attacks from wide or via direct balls, to a team which basically just plays long balls - give the ball away too much and you get very tired chasing the opposition, and that's why they've been backing deeper and deeper. I did notice against Swindon we put it on the deck a bit more and as a result seemed to get stronger not more tired as the game goes on.

I do think we're promotion candidates, as the core of this season's team was on play-off form from when Flynn took over, but every team needs a bit of luck and we'll need more of the Cambridge last 5 minutes and less of the Barnet to stay in contention. We're good enough though. Certainly hope so, I've got enough bet on them at various odds.
Me too but I’m not expecting to pick up much on the outrageous bet I made in the summer that we’d go up as champions :shock: the whisky must have tasted good that day :grin: By the way on one bet I only got 50-1 and the other 66-1 duh! :drunken:

If we strengthen the midfield area with a Mark Byrne type player and the left and wing back positions need cover.
Upfront with Hayes in contention and Aaron Williams seems on fire for Brackley must be worth recalling. Then the play offs are a reality let us be honest take Luton and possibly Notts.County out of the equation then anyone can beat anyone. Quite an open League this season so County could and should be in the mix.
Agree with another poster about Lincoln if WE get a result against them on Saturday then I will start thinking about automatic promotion.

Hopefully we'll strengthen somewhat in line with what other teams do, but interestingly, we have only dropped 3 places in the league since 12th Sept..... and we've stabilised somewhat of late, with us now sitting in the same place we were in on 25th November. So we're holding our own, staying in touch and striking distance, which I reckon gives us a real shout.
Statistically, we need to find 23 points more than we would have ordinarily expected to collect between now and the end of the season, from our remaining matches in order to win the division outright (if indeed that's a realistic target)
That's a huge ask, although other teams slipping up will help towards that figure.
I just think even if we miss out on the play-offs we've still had a good season. Sound basis for NEXT season.

My person tip of the team to watch, is the one I said a few weeks ago, PORT VALE.
Their late challenge for a play-off spot is underway. I think they're gonna climb the table a bit like Villa have in the Championship.