Re: Squad 24/25

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:25 pm
ajs wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:12 pm Not a fan of GC never have been, I prefer managers who act responsibily not mouth off to the press. Since HJ has arrived GC has been less vocal but it seems to be his nature. Fed up of hearing excuses of low budget, it happens in all walks of life and we have to adapt. The midfield has been left short of depth, to many forwards, defence is just emergency ward 10. GC is the manager it's responsibilty, he could have tried youngsters instead of the forlon hope of the play offs, but that wouldn't suit his CV. I would like to see a manager who looks long term at building a squad to gain a promotion and stay there. In the next few weeks a good number of young players will be released by clubs, many who will be good enough to develop, league two journeymen are just looking for a wage. We need a new manager one that will develop the club
It strikes me that ever since Rowberry got sacked that you have had the knife out for GC, now I agree that sometimes he can overstep the mark by publicly criticising players, but on that score he still has lot to learn from Flynn, who was frankly disgraceful in the way he hung players out to dry.
Going back to what I think was your preferred option of retaining Rowberry, do you honestly think that under his continued stewardship we would not now be in FGR’s position or worse, because I do?
It's a matter of opinion on our views regarding the manager. Rowberry suffered the same fate as GC in the final run in after taking Flynns squad into the automatic placings. The loss of Cooper Aziz Telford CBR etc through injury was of greater quality the the four GC lost, Rowberry didn't moan about it. The four that left in my opinion didn't want to play for GC and I can't blame them for that.
About a month ago GC said he was siting down with some players regarding contracts, hardly going to inspire those not involved, poor man manager I'm afraid.
His training methods seem to be run and chases for ninety minutes, that's why they are coming up short, his substitutions at times don't make sense, players out on their feet and the bench only used very late in the game.
Finally he can't accept resposibility, it's always someone elses fault not his tactics, training methods or selection. No if the club are to build for the future then we need a manager who will put the club first not their selves.
We agree on Flynn

Exile 1976 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 9:20 am Time to throw in the likes of Rai and Sanca for some much needed game time, see if they can do any better than some of those other players that have downed tools.
It's not going to happen. Coughlan doesn't trust the youngsters. If he did he might have thrown Norris on earlier than 83 minutes and perhaps tried Rai instead of Jephcott...

wattsville_boy wrote: April 10th, 2024, 12:35 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 9:20 am Time to throw in the likes of Rai and Sanca for some much needed game time, see if they can do any better than some of those other players that have downed tools.
It's not going to happen. Coughlan doesn't trust the youngsters. If he did he might have thrown Norris on earlier than 83 minutes and perhaps tried Rai instead of Jephcott...

I doubt it will happen too, BUT, if Coughers is happy with the shite served up by the likes of Jephcott then perhaps he needs to seriously think again.

If you can’t get 100% effort out of young players like Rai, Norris and Sanca, which is all we can ask for at this stage of their careers, then he can move them on in the summer.

ajs wrote: April 10th, 2024, 12:03 pm
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:25 pm
ajs wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:12 pm Not a fan of GC never have been, I prefer managers who act responsibily not mouth off to the press. Since HJ has arrived GC has been less vocal but it seems to be his nature. Fed up of hearing excuses of low budget, it happens in all walks of life and we have to adapt. The midfield has been left short of depth, to many forwards, defence is just emergency ward 10. GC is the manager it's responsibilty, he could have tried youngsters instead of the forlon hope of the play offs, but that wouldn't suit his CV. I would like to see a manager who looks long term at building a squad to gain a promotion and stay there. In the next few weeks a good number of young players will be released by clubs, many who will be good enough to develop, league two journeymen are just looking for a wage. We need a new manager one that will develop the club
It strikes me that ever since Rowberry got sacked that you have had the knife out for GC, now I agree that sometimes he can overstep the mark by publicly criticising players, but on that score he still has lot to learn from Flynn, who was frankly disgraceful in the way he hung players out to dry.
Going back to what I think was your preferred option of retaining Rowberry, do you honestly think that under his continued stewardship we would not now be in FGR’s position or worse, because I do?
It's a matter of opinion on our views regarding the manager. Rowberry suffered the same fate as GC in the final run in after taking Flynns squad into the automatic placings. The loss of Cooper Aziz Telford CBR etc through injury was of greater quality the the four GC lost, Rowberry didn't moan about it. The four that left in my opinion didn't want to play for GC and I can't blame them for that.
About a month ago GC said he was siting down with some players regarding contracts, hardly going to inspire those not involved, poor man manager I'm afraid.
His training methods seem to be run and chases for ninety minutes, that's why they are coming up short, his substitutions at times don't make sense, players out on their feet and the bench only used very late in the game.
Finally he can't accept resposibility, it's always someone elses fault not his tactics, training methods or selection. No if the club are to build for the future then we need a manager who will put the club first not their selves.
We agree on Flynn
Some interesting points. The only thing I would say in GC's defence is that he rolled the dice on blaming the players when we were on one of our poor runs earlier in the season. Rather than lose the dressing room the gamble payed off and we went on a decent run (think it was Jan from memory). I think it would have unravelled much quicker if your point was true about him being a poor man manager. You're right about his use of subs being poor but then Rowberry was awful at that too. If other teams in our league can play a high press for a whole season then we should expect that from our players too. The only problem is that you can't play that way with older and/or more injury prone players because as we've seen it doesn't work and leads to the situation we're in now.

CathedralCounty wrote: April 10th, 2024, 9:56 am
We don't agree on much but on that we can 100% we have little to play for so get them out there and playing.

Yes, time for the young uns to step up and show us (and GC) what they are made of for the final few games

Exile 1976 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 2:52 pm
wattsville_boy wrote: April 10th, 2024, 12:35 pm

I doubt it will happen too, BUT, if Coughers is happy with the shite served up by the likes of Jephcott then perhaps he needs to seriously think again.

If you can’t get 100% effort out of young players like Rai, Norris and Sanca, which is all we can ask for at this stage of their careers, then he can move them on in the summer.
I agree that he should be looking at the youngsters. Just explaining why he won't...

Bangitintrnet wrote: April 10th, 2024, 3:02 pm County had Dom Telford and Flynn didn't want to play him as it suited Dom, until James Rowberry got the best out of him.
Jephcott might also be waiting for the type of service that he thrives upon.
There is something unusual in the Jepchott saga. I'd love to know exactly what happened at St Johnstone but I doubt we ever will so as he is on contract for next season, I guess we have to hope for the best.