Back four

I'm sure I mentioned this in passing earlier in the season but it possibly seems more relevant now that County have looked better in the last two games when they have switched from 5-3-2 to a 4-4-2.

I don't think the CB's County have work well as a three. It seems as if they all expect someone else to deal with balls in and often no-one does. In a four they seem to sort things out better, despite having players like Lewis and Payne as not natural defenders.

I think the extra body in midfield (as the wing backs are often defending in a five) gives County some parity and hence a more attacking threat.

Should GC try 4-4-2 from the off? Be interested in others opinion.

Re: Back four

wattsville_boy wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 4:13 pm I'm sure I mentioned this in passing earlier in the season but it possibly seems more relevant now that County have looked better in the last two games when they have switched from 5-3-2 to a 4-4-2.

I don't think the CB's County have work well as a three. It seems as if they all expect someone else to deal with balls in and often no-one does. In a four they seem to sort things out better, despite having players like Lewis and Payne as not natural defenders.

I think the extra body in midfield (as the wing backs are often defending in a five) gives County some parity and hence a more attacking threat.

I agree our current squad look better in a 4 at the back.

County ranger wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 4:41 pm
wattsville_boy wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 4:13 pm I'm sure I mentioned this in passing earlier in the season but it possibly seems more relevant now that County have looked better in the last two games when they have switched from 5-3-2 to a 4-4-2.

I agree our current squad look better in a rrors4 at the back.
We are currently looking better offensively when changing to a back 4, yet the beginning of the season we played as a four, probably due to injuries, and made many individual errors and conceded lots of goals.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 5:39 pm

We are currently looking better offensively when changing to a back 4, yet the beginning of the season we played as a four, probably due to injuries, and made many individual errors and conceded lots of goals.
In fairness the back four then hardly knew each other. The 3 CB's today have no excuse in playing as strangers at times today. I'm of the opinion that Baker is better as a right back or defensive midfielder. He seems out of sort as a right sided CB...

wattsville_boy wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 5:51 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 5:39 pm

In fairness the back four then hardly knew each other. The 3 CB's today have no excuse in playing as strangers at times today. I'm of the opinion that Baker is better as a right back or defensive midfielder. He seems out of sort as a right sided CB...
Have to admit, that I'm in 2 minds about playing with a back 4 or 3. Difficult decision for GC . Hoping he is open minded enough to make decisions based on the opposition and within game situations. At least we are blessed with Bennett, Baker and McLoughlin who can all do a job as a midfielder or defender.

I must confess there were quite a few occasions when we were skinned on the flanks, it’s abundantly obvious that we lack pace and defensive ability there. We got away with it ( just ) today. It is what it is, what we lack in that we gain by their attacking quality. Delighted with the win and now feeling confident to start at least looking around us and up rather than down. A lot of cred is due to GC and these players, the team have done us proud. Really not expecting that win today, just how many players do Swinedon have on their books? I’m grateful that instead of a crowd of strangers we’ve got a tight squad who work hard for each other. UTC