Re: New Speed Limits ...- Cyclists and E-scooter users

UPTHEPORT wrote: September 13th, 2023, 1:26 pm Twenty is plenty

So people will be home a few minutes later but at least more kids will be coming home
In the time that it takes to react and stop, a car travelling at 20MPH, to have stopped completely........

The same car, same driver travelling at 30MPH on the same road where people live, will have slowed, but still be travelling at 24MPH................................

Where I live you used to get boy racers tanking through the village. So they put in speed bumps and reduced the speed limit to 20. You still get some driving SUV's that can straddle the speed bumps racing through.

The question is whether the speed limit is now dropping to 20 will they take away the speed bumps that ruin my cars suspension and cost me more in upkeep?

Personally it'll make little difference to me. Once out the village it's dual carriageway down to the motorway. And I'll just avoid the built up areas where I'm required to slow to walking pace...

wattsville_boy wrote: September 13th, 2023, 4:53 pm Where I live you used to get boy racers tanking through the village. So they put in speed bumps and reduced the speed limit to 20. You still get some driving SUV's that can straddle the speed bumps racing through.

The question is whether the speed limit is now dropping to 20 will they take away the speed bumps that ruin my cars suspension and cost me more in upkeep?

Personally it'll make little difference to me. Once out the village it's dual carriageway down to the motorway. And I'll just avoid the built up areas where I'm required to slow to walking pace...
I hate speed bumps and traffic calming, but as you say they are introduced where there are existing problems.

Roads are for all road users, it's not an us and them situation, buses v cars v cyclists v pedestrians. If the 20 MPH limit makes people think I may as well cycle, or bus, it's done its job. I know I am generalising as some can't, but most can change transport choices, and particularly with electric bikes, the possibilities are expanding....................but people don't like change.