Just a thought

Idle thought but I'd be interested in your views.

As you all know I believe that for the size of our city Newport County underachieve badly. I'm also aware that we fail to attract support from outside of Newport. Young lads in Pontypool being far more likely to be Cardiff fans. I think we all recognize the stadium problem. And whilst I'm far from convinced it's any more that a fairly thin excuse, we have all heard there are no suitable sites in Newport for a new stadium.

So if tomorrow we were offered a 10,000 all seater stadium in Cwmbran, the only proviso being we change our name to Newport and Cwmbran County, as with Brighton and Hove, Dagenham and Redbridge, and for those of us of a certain vintage Bournemouth and Boscombe, would you take it?

Just an idle thought but if it were offered I'd say yes.

Re: Just a thought

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Idle thought but I'd be interested in your views.

As you all know I believe that for the size of our city Newport County underachieve badly. I'm also aware that we fail to attract support from outside of Newport. Young lads in Pontypool being far more likely to be Cardiff fans. I think we all recognize the stadium problem. And whilst I'm far from convinced it's any more that a fairly thin excuse, we have all heard there are no suitable sites in Newport for a new stadium.

So if tomorrow we were offered a 10,000 all seater stadium in Cwmbran, the only proviso being we change our name to Newport and Cwmbran County, as with Brighton and Hove, Dagenham and Redbridge, and for those of us of a certain vintage Bournemouth and Boscombe, would you take it?

Not for me - some cities / towns breath football others don’t - Newport doesn’t. There is nothing wrong with the stadium - Newport is not a football city culturally. I saw a press cutting of football results from the 80’s this week - County division 3 home with a crowd of just over 1,900 the accompanying league table showed us above Cardiff!
It would surprise me if we were able to get regular crowds above 5/6k in the Championship.

It’s a no from me. Where does it end. Hypothetically, just say everything is great and we change to Newport and Cwmbran County with a superb new stadium.

Fast forward 40 years. I won’t be here then, but, just say, there is a fabulous opportunity to move to another new stadium in affluent Monmouth or even working class, not so affluent but Nationally funded Ebbw Vale. We can do it but we have to change the name to Gwent County.

No thank you.

Percy plunkett wrote:The only likely opportunity would be to upgrade Cwmbran Stadium,That has a running track so,we just as well upgrade Spytty.
Would that be the ground with the one and only stand so far from the pitch you would need binoculars also the stand that has been condemned for years and the pitch which happens to be 3g, I've also been told its torfaen's only 3g pitch so I don't think think they would be happy ripping that up

Don't believe the concept of having a ground elsewhere in the County would generate more interest or attendances from those outside of Newport. In fact suspect that it would lose support from Newport residents. Those few ' gwent' residents who have an interest in supporting their local team, like myself, by and large except travelling to Newport for games.
Interestingly though as a Pontypool resident I have seen a few Lads wearing County tops in the last few years, almost certainly as a result of our recent high profile cup games. The reality is that Newport or the surrounding areas has never had, or never will have, IMO, a large 'soccer' following.

Interesting question.
Not for me.
When you have been supporting Newport for 50 years, I wouldn't want the name sullied by having to add in Cwmbran. Give it a few years and Newport will be dropped completely no doubt. We will end up with the Wimbledon / MK Dons scenario and Newport phoenix club number 2 rising from the ashes and the worst of both worlds. We have Newport County AFC, we have a city, all we need is forward thinking by more than just a handful of supporters to plan for a fit for purpose stadium we can call our own and take it forward from there. I would rather watch us in conference with our own stadium than league football at Cwmbran. Actually, it is a debate whether I would prefer to watch good football in conference in our own stadium over the league beach football we (and the players) have to endure for half of each season at RP.

County19081967 wrote:Interesting question.
Not for me.
When you have been supporting Newport for 50 years, I wouldn't want the name sullied by having to add in Cwmbran. Give it a few years and Newport will be dropped completely no doubt. We will end up with the Wimbledon / MK Dons scenario and Newport phoenix club number 2 rising from the ashes and the worst of both worlds. We have Newport County AFC, we have a city, all we need is forward thinking by more than just a handful of supporters to plan for a fit for purpose stadium we can call our own and take it forward from there. I would rather watch us in conference with our own stadium than league football at Cwmbran. Actually, it is a debate whether I would prefer to watch good football in conference in our own stadium over the league beach football we (and the players) have to endure for half of each season at RP.
I'm clearly in a minority, possibly of one. However I think Newport to Cwmbran somewhat less of a stretch than Wimbledon to Milton Keynes,

Yes from me, Cwmbran being a city suburb anyway so no issues with losing our identity. We all agree we need a new pitch, most agree we need to stop being tenants in a rugby ground. Some would say after years of switching and sharing stadia, we deserve somewhere of our own to call home.

Financially it would be better if there were income streams we could benefit from e.g. charging for car park, hiring out a 3G pitch when we not using it, a pub, eaterie etc within the ground.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
County19081967 wrote:Interesting question.
Not for me.
I'm clearly in a minority, possibly of one. However I think Newport to Cwmbran somewhat less of a stretch than Wimbledon to Milton Keynes,
I don't think its the stretch of 80 miles from Wimbledon to Milton Keynes or the 5 miles from RP to Cwmbran stadium which is the issue for me, its the mindset of the 6 inches or so from ear to ear :grin:

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Yes from me, Cwmbran being a city suburb anyway so no issues with losing our identity. We all agree we need a new pitch, most agree we need to stop being tenants in a rugby ground. Some would say after years of switching and sharing stadia, we deserve somewhere of our own to call home.

Financially it would be better if there were income streams we could benefit from e.g. charging for car park, hiring out a 3G pitch when we not using it, a pub, eaterie etc within the ground.
How would we hire out a 3g pitch we wouldn't have

County ranger wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Idle thought but I'd be interested in your views.

Not for me - some cities / towns breath football others don’t - Newport doesn’t. There is nothing wrong with the stadium - Newport is not a football city culturally. I saw a press cutting of football results from the 80’s this week - County division 3 home with a crowd of just over 1,900 the accompanying league table showed us above Cardiff!
It would surprise me if we were able to get regular crowds above 5/6k in the Championship.
Our average attendances under Flynn have been around 3500. Surely if we found ourselves playing two levels above where we are now, we'd be able to at the very least double our current average?