Re: Stadium Focus Group: Next Meeting 21st OCTOBER 20:00

whoareya wrote:Perhaps create a Landlord 'HoldCo' owned by both parties, then have both sporting entities as equal sub-tenants on long term leases, with the nuances of fixture primacy etc detailed in the Heads of Terms.
The idea is fine. Problem is why would the rugby agree to that? They have no incentive to and County have no leverage.

The only leverage County have is that they can threaten to leave Rodney Parade. And where pray are we going to go then?

Then again if we had the option of developing our own stadium. Food for thought.

Incentive for the Dragons/WRU is to 'sell' RP to the HoldCo to raise/release funds to sustain regional rugby, Dragons become more appealing to investors as per the WRU's preferred option to 'stand alone', whilst retaining joint ownership of RP. Football raises funds/mortgage, takes a joint stake in the HoldCo, incentive is to co-own a ground and become a joint sub-tenant on equal terms, long lease. No more 10 year rolling lease or painfull service charge surprises.

whoareya wrote:Incentive for the Dragons/WRU is to 'sell' RP to the HoldCo to raise/release funds to sustain regional rugby, Dragons become more appealing to investors as per the WRU's preferred option to 'stand alone', whilst retaining joint ownership of RP. Football raises funds/mortgage, takes a joint stake in the HoldCo, incentive is to co-own a ground and become a joint sub-tenant on equal terms, long lease. No more 10 year rolling lease or painfull service charge surprises.
The only way a 'tenancy' (it's really a license but let's not split hairs) would work is if the landlord were the local authority. Any other landlord will as all landlords do, juice the tenant.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
whoareya wrote:Incentive for the Dragons/WRU is to 'sell' RP to the HoldCo to raise/release funds to sustain regional rugby, Dragons become more appealing to investors as per the WRU's preferred option to 'stand alone', whilst retaining joint ownership of RP. Football raises funds/mortgage, takes a joint stake in the HoldCo, incentive is to co-own a ground and become a joint sub-tenant on equal terms, long lease. No more 10 year rolling lease or painfull service charge surprises.
The only way a 'tenancy' (it's really a license but let's not split hairs) would work is if the landlord were the local authority. Any other landlord will as all landlords do, juice the tenant.
If a party was both joint Landlord and joint tenant, there would be little point in juicing yourself. It is not unusual for tenants of flats to own a share of the Freehold equally with other tenants.

I think your litigious career assumes all situations result in dispute and forced resolution.

It doesn't have to be that way.

Re: Stadium Focus Group: Next Meeting 28th OCTOBER 20:00

frostyjohn wrote:"joint ownership" "equal terms" but insisting on primacy of fixtures and vetoing an artificial pitch. Pretty fundamental inequality there.
We've managed to accommodate both issues for several years now.

I'd agree they would be priorities, but not insurmountable.

The operational responsibilities for the County as an equal tenant would have to step up financially to retain things like grass pitches, no doubt about that.

whoareya wrote:
frostyjohn wrote:"joint ownership" "equal terms" but insisting on primacy of fixtures and vetoing an artificial pitch. Pretty fundamental inequality there.

The operational responsibilities for the County as an equal tenant would have to step up financially to retain things like grass pitches, no doubt about that.
I agree that your projection would be the best outcome but ask yourself this.

Newport RFC went bust in 1988. Rodney Parade was demolished for city centre housing. A new rugby club, the Newport Dragons for many years shared a wholly unsuitable stadium with Newport Harriers Athletics. However in 2012 they became tenants of Newport County at Somerton Park. Newport County had a nice little earrner there. In 2020 the Newport Dragons suggested that Newport County share ownership of Somerton Park with the Dragons.

Well would you?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
whoareya wrote:

Newport RFC went bust in 1988. Rodney Parade was demolished for city centre housing. A new rugby club, the Newport Dragons for many years shared a wholly unsuitable stadium with Newport Harriers Athletics. However in 2012 they became tenants of Newport County at Somerton Park. Newport County had a nice little earrner there. In 2020 the Newport Dragons suggested that Newport County share ownership of Somerton Park with the Dragons.

Well would you?
But you have forgotten that (in your story) Newport County has new owners, the FAW, who also now own Somerton Park. County have no say now on who play at SP as they are tenants themselves.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
whoareya wrote:

Well would you?
Id also consider the that, since 2012, the nice little earner (if it was that) has become rather more important in the subsequent 8 years that has seen regional rugby fall off a cliff. And then theres the financial implications of the pandemic.

So I'd probably look at it as:

Newport RFC went bust in 1988. Rodney Parade was demolished for city centre housing. A new rugby club, the Newport Dragons for many years shared a wholly unsuitable stadium with Newport Harriers Athletics. However in 2012 they became tenants of Newport County at Somerton Park. Newport County had a nice little earner there, but have subsequently suffered in the meltdown of lower league football and rely heavily on subsidies from their Landlord/owner, who have stated that they must become self-sufficient In 2020 a pandemic continues to cause financial meltdown, with income streams greatly reduced; alternative financing is now critical to survival, but miraculously the Newport Dragons suggested that Newport County share ownership of Somerton Park with the Dragons, with the financial benefits that go along with it.

Well where do I sign.......?

whoareya wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
whoareya wrote:

Well would you?
Id also consider the that, since 2012, the nice little earner (if it was that) has become rather more important in the subsequent 8 years that has seen regional rugby fall off a cliff. And then theres the financial implications of the pandemic.

So I'd probably look at it as:

Newport RFC went bust in 1988. Rodney Parade was demolished for city centre housing. A new rugby club, the Newport Dragons for many years shared a wholly unsuitable stadium with Newport Harriers Athletics. However in 2012 they became tenants of Newport County at Somerton Park. Newport County had a nice little earner there, but have subsequently suffered in the meltdown of lower league football and rely heavily on subsidies from their Landlord/owner, who have stated that they must become self-sufficient In 2020 a pandemic continues to cause financial meltdown, with income streams greatly reduced; alternative financing is now critical to survival, but miraculously the Newport Dragons suggested that Newport County share ownership of Somerton Park with the Dragons, with the financial benefits that go along with it.

Well where do I sign.......?
I hope you're right.