Re: EFL proposes cap on wages

There are many positives with this salary cap .
It will really make managers work for a living . Their ability will be so easy to assess with a completely level playing field. No rich chairman giving unreal sums of money to very average or even poor managers to spend on players . Promotion and relegation should be on players and managers ability not on large sums of cash.
One proposal is for 20 players in the squad —-another proposal,which will unfortunately have a terrible affect on Newport , is there must be a minimum of 8 “ home grown “ players ( academy players or ex academy ) .
Come back Dom !
Good bye to some of our high salaried players.
Good bye to some of our players who like to spend a season on the “sick list “.
All new signings will need to be fit and capable of playing 38/40 games a season.
So, how good are the league two managers ——time will tell.
If this passes the vote , I think MF will need lots of help at both managerial , academy and scouting level,

Madhatter wrote:The use of the phrase Home Grown, Intrigues me..

Does it refer to players as Newport home grown or as home grown meaning born in the UK.

Just wondering.
Well, the article states 'players produced by the club's own academy'. The suggestion of eight seems way too high. A club may need to produce three or four league quality players every season to top up their squad, and what happens when a club falls short? Squads of eighteen? The sub goalie would inevitably be the Academy first choice, who would therefore not progress his career. I think there is maybe some mileage in reducing the number of named substitutes.

excessbee wrote:
Madhatter wrote:The use of the phrase Home Grown, Intrigues me..

Does it refer to players as Newport home grown or as home grown meaning born in the UK.

Just wondering.
Well, the article states 'players produced by the club's own academy'. The suggestion of eight seems way too high. A club may need to produce three or four league quality players every season to top up their squad, and what happens when a club falls short? Squads of eighteen? The sub goalie would inevitably be the Academy first choice, who would therefore not progress his career. I think there is maybe some mileage in reducing the number of named substitutes.
If all clubs have to produce eight of each team they put out a natural consequence is a much quieter transfer market. There's no point in signing/hoovering up 'talent' if you can't play them. F@cks over agents too. Win/win. I agree it won't happen but I think if it did it would be good.

I think we have 16 players still on contract for the forthcoming season..and with money not being there at national league and non league sd think it will be hard to shift a few to bring a few in . plus getting loan players in wd be more of a challenge with there parent clubs wanting there players wages covered .imo bringing players through the academy sd always be the way for clubs in league 1 and 2.
infrastructure is essential we have never seemed to grasp this at our club..

owlsabout wrote: . plus getting loan players in wd be more of a challenge with there parent clubs wanting there players wages covered ..
Not just that, I feel clubs from the top 2 divisions will think very carefully about sending their kids out on loan somewhere else in the future. I can picture it now - Man Utd spend millions getting their training ground, gym, physio room etc deep-cleaned for covid-19 and their players tested regularly. Then, their 18yo prospect goes off on loan to somewhere like County, who don't have the same costly testing arrangements in place. Lad picks up the virus and returns home, or worse, returns to Man Utd with a niggly injury unaware he's got the virus and starts infecting the megastars. Plus, what guarantee is there that the loanee's wages or loan fee will be paid if clubs are living 'hand to mouth' with a salary cap?

The teams who will thrive in the next few seasons are those who have strong academies and have regularly tested youth team players in first-year games. Exeter etc will flourish while perhaps County less so.

Playing homegrown or academy players pleases almost everyone and is good for the game - fans prefer seeing an 18yo putting in the effort and using their raw pace and talent, compared to seeing 30yr old journeymen hogging the shirt. Directors also like this - future potential income from selling these stars, more paying fans watching home games.

Clubs like County (who are probably always going to be midtablers with occasional cup runs) MUST use homegrown youth properly, there's nothing to lose unless we're fighting relegation or desperate to grind out a draw somewhere.

But this 'homegrown rule' won't suit everyone, I don't think Macclesfield have an academy at all and other clubs find them costly to run to EFL standards. If I was GF I would find a way to closely link our academy with Cardiff's or Bristol City's, so we get to adopt their players where they have huge squad numbers and they get to select our better players on 'youth loans for a fee' in return. Longer-term we need a stronger academy with better scouting and coaching as the evidence shows us we've had very little talent stepping up to the first team in recent years, MF was our previous academy manager after all.