The 60’s to 69’s Thread

Good Afternoon!

This thread is for those old but still working kinda folk!
I appreciate some over 70’s are working and some 60’s to 69’s are not, but generally you get my meaning.
So at one point this week on the radio I was described (over 60) as elderly!
I am working mostly 12 hour days, in supermarkets all over the country. It’s madness out there in the shops, certainly no heed to advice about keeping apart a safe distance, all crammed in queues at the checkout. Plenty of obviously over 70 folk about doing there shopping, with a “nothing wrong with me “ attitude.
60’s to 70’s are supposedly ones with most disposable income, mostly mortgage free, kid free and working full time. Do you feel any more at special risk than the under 60’s?
Really the age isn’t the thing when looking at it on a personal level, more your health situation.

Phil in Northampton

Ps. Norm... don’t reply on this thread, in fact, why are you even reading it?

Re: The 60’s to 69’s Thread

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Afternoon!

This thread is for those old but still working kinda folk!
I appreciate some over 70’s are working and some 60’s to 69’s are not, but generally you get my meaning.
So at one point this week on the radio I was described (over 60) as elderly!
I am working mostly 12 hour days, in supermarkets all over the country. It’s madness out there in the shops, certainly no heed to advice about keeping apart a safe distance, all crammed in queues at the checkout. Plenty of obviously over 70 folk about doing there shopping, with a “nothing wrong with me “ attitude.
60’s to 70’s are supposedly ones with most disposable income, mostly mortgage free, kid free and working full time. Do you feel any more at special risk than the under 60’s?
Really the age isn’t the thing when looking at it on a personal level, more your health situation.

Phil in Northampton

Ps. Norm... don’t reply on this thread, in fact, why are you even reading it?
I'm not reading it :bounce:

64 so I’m in. We are lucky here in Pembs at the moment. The UK is 3/4 weeks behind Italy and we are 7/10 days behind London. This gives us some breathing space to prepare which we are doing. No panicking yet, food and petrol OK but things do change.

I will say this. In 23 years of working in the NHS I have never been so proud of all the staff from what I see them doing already. I won’t go in to details but it just beggars belief. Absolutely fantastic.

Keep safe everyone because our age group seem pretty vulnerable to me. Allegedly, in Italy no one over 60 with Covid 19 is going on a ventilator now. That won’t happen here thankfully. Keep safe and follow the guidelines.

I creep over the line, but am not quite in the middle of the range! Technically, though fit, I'm in an at-risk group because I'm given the flu vaccine every year and am lumped in with the over-70s. But with two kids still at school, till yesterday, happily bringing bugs home, there was little chance of social distancing and isolation! Both of them are in their final years, one at primary and one at secondary. The latter is very happy he won't have to do his GCSEs. Luckily he did some work for his mocks and got reasonable (but not great) passes in most of his subjects and so will get the number of passes he requires, but he's a bit miffed he and his band mates won't be able to practise together or gig this summer.

But it's swings and roundabouts, as I'm lucky to live in a very rural location. And I mostly work from home (as does 'she who must be obeyed'). Another bonus... the location, that is!

With that in mind, we normally do big Tesco online shops for food every 3-4 weeks. But we can't do that at the moment, as it would look like panic buying! And we'd normally have had a delivery during the last week, but there's no delivery slots until the last week of the month (and half the stuff we ordered wasn't in stock at the time of ordering either). But there are two village shops, 6 miles apart and 6 miles distant, that have set up an e-mail and collect service. And they have toilet rolls and hand sanitiser in stock. Hooray! And the local farmer-milkman delivers bread, orange juice and many other things. And our chooks give us more eggs than we need. So we will be OK.

Quite lucky really, except I was vaguely thinking of taking my pension during this year, though still intending to work a few more years yet. Well, the stock market crash has fully put paid to the pension idea for a year or three! Hate to think what the annuities are this week or what my units are now worth :-(

Good Evening!

Well done guys, good to see some good folk in my team. We are doing alright, the other threads getting little interest.
Just shows 60-69 are more caring, responsive, interesting and sociable than the other age groups.
Let’s see which thread falls into a bickering mess first.. my monies on the 70 plus, especially as Norm won’t be able to keep them under control!

Phil in Northampton

We are putting to good use the extra weeks grace that we have been given due to our geographic location here in Pembs. Working in the NHS for most of us has never been seen as just a ‘job’ but more of a career with responsibility and pride. In these times a lot of staff see it as a mission. The people that I work with understand that doing what we do is for the benefit of all patients and vulnerable people even more so now. There seems to be no such thing as a normal working day anymore.

Most people are working extra hours voluntarily and nothing is being implemented without consent yet. I just hope that it stays like this and I see no reason why it should not.

Still no sign of panic buying and the supermarkets seem to have everything under control at the moment. The only down side that I see is that on the weekend in Pembs we had a major influx of tourists which the authorities are not welcoming. Even the famous pub in Newgale was open on the weekend and thriving. It is all on Facebook. Daft.

For those that are thinking of making the journey here to ‘get away from it all’ I should warn you that I have heard that the Police will soon be stopping travellers on the major routes here asking what you are doing. Stay indoors if you can unless your reason for travel is essential.

Good Evening!

Well that’s work done till Tuesday. Booked Friday and Monday off some time back as we were supposed to be going to the Lake District for the weekend for daughters birthday. Obviously cancelled a little while back.
Wedding Anniversary today so promised I’d take mrs in Npton for a walk round the garden.
Norm.... essential travel does not include from your thread to this one, armed guards will soon be in position and checking birth certificates.

Phil in Northampton

In December 2016,I went to ACGAS and got a cat,he decided he was going to be a house cat.He has been self isolating ever since and if purring was an Olympic sport,he would win Gold so staying in can’t be that bad.He’s not practising social distancing though and it is good to know that WHO have said that our pets can’t catch or spread this virus,great news for animal lovers.The moral of the story is,if my cat can stay happy indoors for years then 14 days or whatever shouldn’t be a big problem,especially if it saves your life and others.Stay safe everyone.

Bloody Coronavirus. On my way back from work yesterday I had to pick up some essential shopping for my daughter - saves her from going out as I was out already. Anyway, I applied the social distancing rules and dropped the box off at their doorstep and stood 2 metres away whilst I knocked the door.

After my son in law came to the door my 4 year old granddaughter came to the door and could not understand why I didn’t come in to see her. Never, ever seen her so confused. I don’t know who was more upset, me or her. Crappy, shitty little virus.

Well, it has gone very quiet on this thread. In line with Phil’s earlier comments I was hoping for my age group to put some interesting posts up. Fingers crossed, it might still happen.

My own experience is a bit strange. We still haven’t experienced the surge here in Pembs, but my goodness, we aren’t half working hard trying to get ready and prepare for it. 12/13 hour days, 6 days a week for me at the moment. All the NHS staff that I work with have been superb. Very proud of them all. Our thinking is, put the tough work in now, and fingers crossed, we will be better prepared for the inevitable, when it happens. I’ve gone into Armed Forces mode, just so that I am better able to cope. It seems to work for me.

It’s my wife I feel sorry for. As she is vulnerable, for the last 12 days I have been living away from home in an attempt to keep her safe. It will probably be another few months of that. Most of the local hotels have been brilliant so far to be honest. It’s no extra burden for me as I would rather be in work than climbing the bloody walls here. Got to have some time off though. The odd thing is that all my work colleagues go home every night to their families but I go elsewhere. Never mind, it is a small price to pay if it keeps Mrs P safe. Someone mentioned that there was a Bank Holiday coming up soon. That will have to wait!