Re: Calling all Numismatists

pembsexile wrote:
mad norm wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Coin update. In the last few days the Royal Mint have finally released the 2018 version of the 12 sided £1 coin. Why has it taken so long? It's only November after all.

The new £1 coin was issued in 2017 but many millions were minted in 2016 but not made available until 2017. For the anoraks - look out for error coins, that is, they have the date of 2017 on one side and 2016 around the rim on the other. They are out there. Would make a great contribution to your retirement fund.

Also, keep a look out for the Isaac Newton 50p. They are very scarce, mintage figures are not yet available but the word on the street is that in a few years they will be worth quite a lot of money. Could be Kew Gardens v2 all over again.

Damned if I can find any dates on £1 coin rim.....do you need a magnifying glass ? Please explain to Dumbo in Milford
You most certainly do Norm. The normal date you will see on the LH underside of the Queen's head, quite clearly. On the 'tails' side the date is impregnated on a line 12 times around the inside of the coin. You will need a magnifying glass (jewellers loupe) to see it. The dates are located immediately under the raised rim approximately 1mm from the edge of the coin. Just to be clear, it is not on the edge but on the flat part. Happy hunting and I hope you find some.
Blimey Pembsexile. I've just found something else that makes you go blind :grin:
Just about make it out
Coincidentally I've just found a pound coin ina puddle. I shall scrutinize it closely

Coin update - the coin that never was.

News emerged today that the Royal Mint had planned to issue a commemorative coin to mark the centenary of author Roald Dahl birth. The coin would have been issued in September 2016 to celebrate the 100 years.

No comment from me other than reporting what has been said - the Royal Mint executives refused to issue the coin 2 years ago because of his alleged anti Semitic views. Apparently, he was not an author of the highest reputation.

Coin update for anoraks. The Royal Mint have just announced that they will be re-releasing the famous 'Kew Gardens' 50p for 2019. This is the coin that sells for approx £70 on sites such as eBay. It will be interesting to see how this new coin effects the price of the older one. I hope it drops considerably. We'll see.

Does anyone fancy carrying a portrait of Margaret Thatcher around with them? Apparently she is one of the strong contenders to be the reverse side face of the new polymer £50 pound note. It's open to public consultation should you care to give your opinion. Sorry but I don't know how to put up the link.

Along with about 150 other nominations she fits the criteria which is, you have to be a real person, deceased and have contributed in some way to British Science. She fits the bill, so to speak.

No need to be concerned yet if you object as it won't be issued until some time after the new polymer £20 note is issued in 2020. I needn't worry as I have never owned one in my life. I think it will stay that way.

Coin update. It looks like the Royal Mint have no plans to do another year of the Beatrix Potter series of 50p coins. That's what they told me the other day. So, the set is fixed at 13, 5 in 2016, 4 in 2017 and 4 in 2018. I only have one of the 2018 circulated coins, they seem to be quite rare and the Royal Mint haven't published the mintage figures yet. If anyone has any of the 2018 coins (apart from Mrs Tittlemouse), I can make you an offer if you PM me.

As mentioned previously, a quick way of checking if a coin is fake is to rotate it through 180 degrees and see if the reverse side is in line with the Monarchs head. If it isn't, it's normally a fake. However, the Royal Mint have stated that over 3,500 Brittania £2 coins were incorrectly issued with an 'inverted effigy'. The Brittania pose is tilted at an angle of 150 degrees so whilst this looks like a fake, this particular one isn't. It is from the year 2015/2016. The mintage figures for these coins are pretty low so in the future they may be worth something even without the inverted effigy. If you find one of those they will be worth quite a lot more. A lot more. Check your £2 coins. Would make a nice Christmas present for yourself.

mad norm wrote:Went to withdraw my beer money from Metro Bank and asked for a bag of 10ps as well.......not an alphabet amongst them ... it's a disgrace Big Time
Whilst I have the full set of alphabet 10p's, I have yet to receive one in my change.

There is a scarcity index on the change checker website for those interested. The interesting thing is that they appear to have not issued a similar amount of each coin. Manipulating the market methinks.

pembsexile wrote:
mad norm wrote:Went to withdraw my beer money from Metro Bank and asked for a bag of 10ps as well.......not an alphabet amongst them ... it's a disgrace Big Time
Whilst I have the full set of alphabet 10p's, I have yet to receive one in my change.

There is a scarcity index on the change checker website for those interested. The interesting thing is that they appear to have not issued a similar amount of each coin. Manipulating the market methinks.
Bit like Panini stickers

Coin update. It has just been announced that there have been confirmed reports of fake new £1 coins found in circulation unfortunately. Didn't take the fraudsters long did it. They are slightly larger and heavier than real coins but they are in circulation and being passed around. Visually there are a couple of things to look out for;

On real coins the word 'one pound' is repeated 24 times in small lettering around the head side. On the fake coins there is no one pound wording.

The thistle has no raised indent on the fake coins. Scratch your nail across the thistle and on a real coin you should feel the serrated edges.

The easiest thing to spot is the lack of the hologram under the Monarchs head. On a real coin as you move it, it should alternate between the number 1 and the symbol £. As this is hard to replicate the hologram is missing on fake coins.

I haven't found any yet fortunately.