ANDY SANDELL?.. Could he still do a job for us?

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

ANDY SANDELL?.. Could he still do a job for us?

Postby newgroundrodney » May 12th, 2017, 10:01 am

I think the question needs to be asked. He is 34 years old, and while it's true that he's free-scoring at a much lower level, I just wonder whether he might have something to offer us.
He has pace to spare (it was Pipey's pace that allowed David to get that crucial cross into the box), good fitness levels, and knows where the net is.
A tough battler, who like Pipe can add steel to the ability of the younger boys.

Some felt Pipe was past it, some may feel Sandell is too, but could he do a job of work for us? As I have always said, a player's success often rests with the players around him AT THE TIME.....
That one cross from Pipey must surely be worth his returning us.....and perhaps another year with us.

All I'm asking is, in a similar way, could Sandell still have something to offer at this level, in a Mike Flynn style team, with the players he'll NOW have around him ?
I think he has something left and could help push the younger boys on when they're flagging.

Any thoughts on the possible return of Andy Sandell?
no avatar
User

faerun exile

Re: ANDY SANDELL?.. Could he still do a job for us?

Postby faerun exile » May 12th, 2017, 10:17 am

Not for me thank you. Did a good job while with us previously. Not sure where you base his pace to spare comment as was often too slow to turn. 2 - 3 years have passed since and can only assume he has got slower rather than quicker. Hit a good dead ball mind.
Past it at EFL level, much like other full backs Barrow, Holmes and Billy Jones.
There are plenty of players out there we can bring in either on contract or on loan. No need to be so attached to previous players - up to Flynn to find the next Sheehan, Samuel or Healey.
no avatar
User

ref23

Postby ref23 » May 12th, 2017, 11:30 am

Absolutely no chance.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » May 12th, 2017, 11:38 am

I remember him coming on as sub against Chesterfield and looking good up front.I did wonder why he didn't play there again.However,that was 3 years ago and old Father Time will be calling him in soon.
no avatar
User

ref23

Postby ref23 » May 12th, 2017, 11:46 am

Great player in his day. But he was slow as a left back 3 years ago. Pipe was never slow, some people just thought he was because JE played him as a midfielder rather than a right back, and couldn't understand why he wasaid unable to be in two places at once.
User

daftasfxxx

Newport

Postby daftasfxxx » May 12th, 2017, 1:03 pm

I think NGR is on a wind up
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Postby Exile 1976 » May 12th, 2017, 1:17 pm

daftasfxxx wrote:I think NGR is on a wind up

I hope so.
User

Bush

Postby Bush » May 12th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Didn't he once miss a game for us because he was playing cricket?
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » May 12th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Not sure of that but he did take up boxing when he thought JE might release him.He got back in form and the boxing career was put on hold.
User

Bush

Postby Bush » May 12th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Percy plunkett wrote:Not sure of that but he did take up boxing when he thought JE might release him.He got back in form and the boxing career was put on hold.

Maybe it the parade after we got promoted. I remember an incident of where he missed something because he was playing cricket and I thought I get the feeling this guy isn't totally committed to playing football anymore.
User

Ado

Postby Ado » May 12th, 2017, 5:19 pm

"Pace to spare" ? You cannot be serious - are you on a wind up ?
no avatar
User

excessbee

Postby excessbee » May 12th, 2017, 5:45 pm

Ado wrote:"Pace to spare" ? You cannot be serious - are you on a wind up ?

Problem was he'd go on a burn up down the touchline and when the move broke down he took an age to get back. I rremember a game at Morecambe where we went into a two goal lead and Sandell went gung ho for a third. Morecambe just pinged the ball into the vacant space repeatedly bypassing him on the halfway line and eventually scored three (I think).
no avatar
User

Taunton Iron Cider

Taunton

Postby Taunton Iron Cider » May 12th, 2017, 6:26 pm

excessbee wrote:
Ado wrote:"Pace to spare" ? You cannot be serious - are you on a wind up ?

Problem was he'd go on a burn up down the touchline and when the move broke down he took an age to get back. I rremember a game at Morecambe where we went into a two goal lead and Sandell went gung ho for a third. Morecambe just pinged the ball into the vacant space repeatedly bypassing him on the halfway line and eventually scored three (I think).

A bit like Pipe don't you think? Mind you after that cross on Saturday easily forgiven!
no avatar
User

Harps62

Postby Harps62 » May 12th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Don't knock the fella.
In his time he was good for County.
Its no longer his time.
Pipey is a one off. (as good as ever)
Craig, Flynny etc have passed that stage but still great servants to County.
Only 2 ex players still playing below league 2 I would take back with a shot are Robbie & Parkin. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Oh and of course Jeffers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

county37

Postby county37 » May 13th, 2017, 5:01 pm

john macey was there Saturday, if Joe does go during the summer I hope Flynny asked about his availability next season,.