Re: A list of people who have been stopped from commenting

Jack - Admin wrote:
phil_in_npton wrote:Good Evening

Just a question from a spectator hiding behind the sofa....

If a user requests a deletion of their account, is it acceptable to then come back with a totally new identity?

Phil in Newport
Sure, I'd welcome some of those who've requested deletions with open arms. Some really great contributors lost.
So when they register how can you tell the difference between someone banned like Stan Einstein and someone like DannyDyersdog who simply calls himself Daftas? You can't can you?

And why haven't all the people who have called me everything under the sun been banned? Not that Stan would want them to be.
Still as my father used to say to me when I did something daft, no point being an idiot unless you show it.

Lenwearesaved wrote:
Jack - Admin wrote:

Just a question from a spectator hiding behind the sofa....

If a user requests a deletion of their account, is it acceptable to then come back with a totally new identity?

Phil in Newport
Sure, I'd welcome some of those who've requested deletions with open arms. Some really great contributors lost.
So when they register how can you tell the difference between someone banned like Stan Einstein and someone like DannyDyersdog who simply calls himself Daftas? You can't can you?

And why haven't all the people who have called me everything under the sun been banned? Not that Stan would want them to be.
Still as my father used to say to me when I did something daft, no point being an idiot unless you show it.
We've updated the registration policy (for now) to only allow professional and educational email addresses to dissuade this tactic of making burner emails with the sole intention of creating accounts on this forum.

Jack - Admin wrote:
Lenwearesaved wrote:
Jack - Admin wrote:

Just a question from a spectator hiding behind the sofa...

If a user requests deletion of their account, is it acceptable to then come back with a totally new identity?

Phil in Newport

Still, as my father used to say to me when I did something daft, no point being an idiot unless you show it.
We've updated the registration policy (for now) to only allow professional and educational email addresses to dissuade this tactic of making burner emails with the sole intention of creating accounts on this forum.
What are professional and educational email addresses?
Sure an email is just an email address?

Work emails, uni emails, college emails, personal domain emails etc etc.

Open to review in future.
Registration

As of 26/01/2021

Free or disposable email providers are not accepted for registration -- this measure is a tool (already successfully used on other forums) to prevent trolls or banned members from creating multiple accounts.

All new accounts undergo manual screening before activation.

Most accounts registered with an ISP, educational provider or professional email will be approved within a few days.

Accounts registered via proxies, or with email domains that have no site attached, may stay in queue for much longer pending further investigation.

The waiting period may be extended for everyone during periods of high activity.

All accounts registered with free or disposable email providers prior to this date will be exempt from the above