Memories of the YHA

Good Evening
We are currently in the process of de-cluttering our attic. A slow process as so much takes us down memory lane, old photos, vinyl records, the kids toys from yesteryear etc.
I came across an old Youth Hostel Association membership card. The interest being the hostel stamps that recorded the journey myself and a mate took in 1976.
We went by cycle from Northampton and first stop was the hostel at Cleeve Hill near Cheltenham. The next was Chepstow after the memorable experience of cycling over the Severn Bridge. This was well before the second Severn crossing. The reason for the mammoth cycling trip was the Newport County v Northampton Town fixture. We left our cycles at Severn tunnel junction station and got the train to Newport for the match.
The following night we stayed at St Briavels hostel, which was actually a real castle!
The last stop was Stow on the Wold before the last leg back home.
Not sure but about a 250 mile round trip by cycle just to see a football match! The madness of youth!

Does anyone else have memories of youth hostels?

Phil in Northampton

Re: Memories of the YHA

No memories at all of YHA Phil, but, to cycle all that way to see a County game needs some sort of commendation. Bloody well done. Hopefully by that time you had played your subuteo game and were supporting the County not Northampton. Mind you, after that trip I wouldn’t have blamed you if you had supported your home town club. I’m impressed.