Football Manager Fans

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
User

Est.1912

Football Manager Fans

Postby Est.1912 » September 11th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Afternoon Exiles,

Along with the County and podcasts Football manager is another passion of mine, I was wondering if anyone else was big into it? I am currently coming toward the end of my 4th season with the County back to back to promotions getting us up to the Championship and then surviving with the smallest budget in the league (Micah Richards was paid more than my whole team). Super Frank Nouble turned into a world beater scoring 53 goals in 76 league appearances over 2 and a half years. Only Josh Sheehan and TO-E are left of the original squad I inherited from MF.
Mark Crook won the chairman elections in 2020 after Gavin Foxall didn't stand for re-election.

Rhys
User

SJG99

The End of the Hedge

Re: Football Manager Fans

Postby SJG99 » September 12th, 2018, 8:51 am

Wouldn't say I'm a massive fan, I tend to buy it cheaply some time around April every other year and spend weeks adding clubs and grounds/parks from all 12 tiers of the welsh pyramid and getting their kits right. I think I got to about halfway through Aberdare Division 1 before getting bored last time. The file also includes about 5 versions of me at various ages, and an "overflow" inactive division feeding a load of old parks clubs and pub teams into the Newport and District 2nd Division every season.

I haven't gone so mad as to populate every team with players though. There are hundreds of them and autogenerating them is fine (apart from my old teams which are done in full with the players adapted to be the "right age" for 2018).

And having done all that I never have time to play it, so I generally just slap a sim on and go on holiday for 50 years to see what happens.

The refusal of the game to adhere to its own regulations regarding geographical locations is bloody annoying though, despite corralling every area and division with accurate regional co-ordinates you still get silly crap like Newport & District teams pitching up in Pembrokeshire and the National League (Wrexham), doesn't matter how simple promotion/relegation is made with restrictions on reserve teams not overtaking first teams there's always something that breaks it at some point in a 50 year sim.

So, as I was saying, no I don't play it much, but I do edit it a lot!!!!
User

Est.1912

Postby Est.1912 » September 12th, 2018, 3:32 pm

SJG99 wrote:Wouldn't say I'm a massive fan, I tend to buy it cheaply some time around April every other year and spend weeks adding clubs and grounds/parks from all 12 tiers of the welsh pyramid and getting their kits right. I think I got to about halfway through Aberdare Division 1 before getting bored last time. The file also includes about 5 versions of me at various ages, and an "overflow" inactive division feeding a load of old parks clubs and pub teams into the Newport and District 2nd Division every season.

I haven't gone so mad as to populate every team with players though. There are hundreds of them and autogenerating them is fine (apart from my old teams which are done in full with the players adapted to be the "right age" for 2018).

And having done all that I never have time to play it, so I generally just slap a sim on and go on holiday for 50 years to see what happens.

The refusal of the game to adhere to its own regulations regarding geographical locations is bloody annoying though, despite corralling every area and division with accurate regional co-ordinates you still get silly crap like Newport & District teams pitching up in Pembrokeshire and the National League (Wrexham), doesn't matter how simple promotion/relegation is made with restrictions on reserve teams not overtaking first teams there's always something that breaks it at some point in a 50 year sim.

So, as I was saying, no I don't play it much, but I do edit it a lot!!!!

I used to do a lot of editing putting my favourite players from the early 2000s into the game (Ronaldo, Zidane, Kluivert, Beckham, Henry etc), trying to turn the welsh league system into a rival for the PL (that took too long). I haven't done so much recently as I spent so much time editing I never played much with what I created
User

SJG99

The End of the Hedge

Postby SJG99 » September 12th, 2018, 5:57 pm

I hardly ever play it - having created so many lower league amateur sides the game is absolutely useless at reflecting parks-level football:

Anyone half-decent leaves the club immediately, even if you edit them to have maximum loyalty and put them as fond of the club, dislike their rivals, best mates with the chairman, amateur, etc. there's no loyalty like you would get at parks level where people are playing for free.

Tiny matches have ridiculous attendances (like up to 1000 people) even if you put the range of attendance for the team maxing out at under 10 and the capacity of the stadium as a couple of hundred (which is realistic for a field with a barrier)

The game also doesn't even have a "no crowd/no stand" option for highlights so every game looks like it's being played at minimum Southern League level.

They really should put some effort into the realism of tiny clubs like they try to for huge ones.
no avatar
User

sblair1979

Postby sblair1979 » September 18th, 2018, 8:59 pm

I'm in 2030 and have County in the Premier League, having finished 10th in my last season.

Been a bit of a slog to get to where I am now but very satisfying. Board building a new stadium which opens in a years time in game.
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Postby penycwm county » September 22nd, 2018, 6:12 pm

sblair1979 wrote:I'm in 2030 and have County in the Premier League, having finished 10th in my last season.

Been a bit of a slog to get to where I am now but very satisfying. Board building a new stadium which opens in a years time in game.

is it going to be on the old Sainsbury site ?
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Postby mad norm » September 22nd, 2018, 9:12 pm

penycwm county wrote:
sblair1979 wrote:I'm in 2030 and have County in the Premier League, having finished 10th in my last season.

:cheers:
User

SJG99

The End of the Hedge

Postby SJG99 » September 22nd, 2018, 9:44 pm

It's. Not. Big. Enough. :lol:
no avatar
User

DT1892

Postby DT1892 » September 22nd, 2018, 10:32 pm

Had David Beckham of all people win one of the elections to become chairman. Think he only lasted one term.
no avatar
User

sblair1979

Postby sblair1979 » September 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm

Haha I'm not sure, when its built I'll look around the surrounding area for clues. They are calling it the Nathan Davies Park. Raging they didnt name it after me :lol: