Re: Calling all Numismatists

The Royal Mint are at it again. News today that the first in a 3 year, 9 coin series of Winnie the Pooh 50p has been released. Not content with Beatrix Potter, the Gruffalo and Paddington Bear later this year will see the release of Christopher Robin and Piglet for 2020.

I am not sure if they will be available for general circulation but they are certainly available in brilliant uncirculated and proof. Ah well....

neilcork68 wrote:That £2 coin I spoke about is a genuine coin and the mistaken pressing has been confirmed , now to find its value :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Nice one. Well done. Keep the confirmation that you have from the Royal Mint as proof when you go to sell it.

I heard reports a few months ago that they were valued at over a grand. However, the recent figures are for several hundred pounds. Go on eBay and you can see. Just remember that people there are trying it on. Fake photos, fake coins etc, but it will give you an idea of a ball park figure for the coin. My suggestion, unless you want the cash straight away, hold on to it. When all the dust has settled, these types of coin go up in value. Look at the mule 20p no date coin to see what I mean.

The one to really look out for is the new £1 coin with different dates on each side of the coin. Now they are really worth something :grin:

Glad you are enjoying your new hobby. :cheers:

pembsexile wrote:
jonescmj1 wrote:Does any body know the odds on getting sequential 2's, 3's and 4's of different bank notes?

Colin
No, sorry, don’t know what the odds are but some smart Alec could work it out (not me). I think if it is a seven figure number it is 1x2x3x4 etc to give you the individual odds. May be wrong though.

I can tell you though that sequential ladder notes in the UK, 11,22,33 etc sell for hundreds of pounds. If I found one I would sell it straight away, they have no collecting significance for me.
I have two consecutive $100 bills, two consecutive $50.00 bills,times two sets and three consecutive $20 biils, not all from the same cash machine! I thought I was going nuts.

Apart from the long term issues with the new alphabet 10p coins, is anyone else experiencing a shortage of particular types of coins?

Apparently there was a 71% fall in the demand for coins at the start of the pandemic. This has now rebounded to coin demand at approx 77% of pre pandemic levels. Estimates are that now two thirds of coins that have been issued are out of circulation. I had heard figures similar to this for the Olympic 50p coins released in 2012, but for all coins? Surely it can’t be coin collectors that have got the rest?

The mind boggles, there is an awful lot of cash missing somewhere.

Pretty decent article on the change checker website today regarding the ‘History of coin collecting’. Very informative. There is also a good link there to a blog they have created giving the 5 best tips to buying coins off eBay.

If you do buy there, be careful, all is not what it seems. The blog gives good examples. One example is the Battle oh Hastings 1066 coin recently sold there. I think I mentioned it previously on here. It allegedly went for £k60. Totally bonkers if it did.

Popped into Guildford this afternoon.. And got some beer tokens out from Metro Bank (my reserve supply).. On off chance, in search of a Kew Garden I asked for a tenners worth of fifty pence coins....It contained 11.Peoples Act 1918 coins and 9 "50p" coins... Suspect a hoarder was having a clear out...
Spooky :bounce:

News this week from the Royal Mint of a new series of coin issues. They are;

David Bowie £5 for 2020
Walter Scott £2 for 2021
HG Wells £2 for 2021
John Logie Baird 50p for 2021
50 years of decimalisation 50p for 2021
2021 Olympic Games 50p for 2021

The £2 coins mentioned here will be issued in commemorative sets only. There will be no new £2 coins issued for general circulation for the next 10 years as announced by the RM a while ago.

Get the 2020 Olympic Games coin whilst you still can. It will be very valuable in future years for obvious reasons.

The Royal Mint are ahead of the game again, fair do’s.

They have recently released the 2021 £2 solid Silver Brittania. This is the largest coin of legal tender in the UK. I buy one every year as an investment. If I could afford it I would buy many more as well as gold sovereigns. They are also a very nice coin, one of my favourites.

When I stared buying them a few years ago you could get them from the RM for £23/24 pound postage included. This one just cost £37 with VAT and postage. Can only be because the silver bullion value has gone up in the past year.

You can only get it from the Royal Mint online. The Royal Mint Experience shop in Llantrisant never sells it for some reason, they seem to be a different entity to the online store. If you have any spare cash and it interests you I would recommend the purchase. Just go the the RM website, all the info’ is there.

That’s a good link to the site, but.........

Very sloppy story there. They have cut and posted this from the change checker website. Change checker put this information on their website on 9 November. The coin information for the coins they have pasted appears to be correct. However, change checker collated these charts from the information that comes in from this website. They compiled this information on 3rd November. It clearly says this if you check their website at the bottom of each coin scarcity index, 3rd November. They always do this so that people know it is up to date. In their haste to paste the change checker logo at the bottom of each chart the Argus gives the date as 4 August. This is 3 months ago!

Also, they have put an additional bullet point at the start of each chart saying the value of the coins listed........Please be aware that this is only for the first coin in each list and this value can go up and down. If you want to know the selling price of each coin, go to eBay and look. The selling price is listed there.

Just a bit of general news about the hobby. It seems that 2020, the COVID year has had a significant effect upon numismatics and the issue of money from the Royal Mint.

More and more people are using electronic cash and the use of coins is at an all time low. It may be a long time before it recovers, if ever. No new £2 coins or 20p pieces will be issued for a number of years. Coins appear to be going out of fashion.

However, there is a positive side. We hear that possibly because of people having to stay at home, they have turned to some new hobbies. Numismatics appears to be one of them. The collecting and discussion of coins has never appeared to be at a higher level.

Coin news is the premier coin collecting magazine in the country. Their monthly magazine sales increase month by month as does their electronic copy. Their 2020 annual coin book sold out in May this year. They had to do another print run. The 2021 copy has sold 50% of its print run already. The value of selected coins has increased considerably and will probably continue to rise.

If you have some of these selected coins (I have mentioned them on here previously), my advice would be, if you don't need the money right now, hold on to them. If you are in it as a business, you need to take a long term view.

Just be careful about buying the ‘usual suspects’ as they will surely peak soon and you may get your fingers burnt if and when the price for these coins eventually drops.

I have said it before and will say it again, if you have cash to spare, get a copy of the 2020 annual coin set from the Royal Mint. If you can afford it, get the proof set. Both sets contains a 2020 Olympic Games coin which obviously didn’t take place. This coin will undoubtedly become more valuable in future years. Some people are already removing that coin from the annual set and selling it as a singly. Madness, and they are taking a short term view.

Go for it and enjoy, I say.

I love this thread. There's something calming about it. It's a bit like being a semi-professional trainspotter in that anyone can do it, can spend as much or as little time on it, but unlike trainspotting there's the chance of making money too.

Further to your point about the decline in coin usage, I've got a one pound coin I keep in the car for my supermarket trolley, and nowadays that's about it.

But just the other day i had a rare cash transaction (barbers) and as a result I've a fistful of pounds, two pounds on my bedside table. But this thread is too long to wade through now. Can you recommend a coin checker website that returns a scarcity rating (I don't know the numismatic term) for each coin?

JonD wrote:I love this thread. There's something calming about it. It's a bit like being a semi-professional trainspotter in that anyone can do it, can spend as much or as little time on it, but unlike trainspotting there's the chance of making money too.

Further to your point about the decline in coin usage, I've got a one pound coin I keep in the car for my supermarket trolley, and nowadays that's about it.

But just the other day i had a rare cash transaction (barbers) and as a result I've a fistful of pounds, two pounds on my bedside table. But this thread is too long to wade through now. Can you recommend a coin checker website that returns a scarcity rating (I don't know the numismatic term) for each coin?
Glad you enjoy the thread Jon. Numismatics is calming. Nice cup of coffee, internet available for coin sites, mags at the ready and sorting my coins, bliss. I could do it for hours and often do.

A good coin site is change checker. They have a scarcity index there for all the coins. It is very good and they explain how they do it. Fascinating stuff. It’s easy to navigate too.

Off the top of my head the top (scarcity wise) 50p coins are;
Kew
Judo
Football
Wrestling
Triathlon

The top £2 coins are
NI Commonwealth games
Eng
Scot
Wales
Olympic handover 2012

No point checking the newer £1 coins as they don’t have many variations yet, the older ones are a different matter.

Good luck.