Nice Things

Good Evening

The everything else section used to be my refuge, one of the few places to have a silly, or a nice or even occasionally a sensible and informative conversation....

Someone left the door open!

This thread is solely for people to record nice things, maybe something in your day that made you smile...

I’ll start with some personal triviality...

The hospital rang today to give my wife a date in February for a new knee!

My dad, with dementia had us all laughing today recalling a tale from 40 years ago!

My mum is recovering well from a recent emergency operation to fit a pacemaker.

Some good things going on!

Please add your own and let’s try and keep it nice!

Phil in Northampton

Re: Nice Things

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Evening

The everything else section used to be my refuge, one of the few places to have a silly, or a nice or even occasionally a sensible and informative conversation....

Someone left the door open!

This thread is solely for people to record nice things, maybe something in your day that made you smile...

I’ll start with some personal triviality...

The hospital rang today to give my wife a date in February for a new knee!

My dad, with dementia had us all laughing today recalling a tale from 40 years ago!

My mum is recovering well from a recent emergency operation to fit a pacemaker.

Some good things going on!

Please add your own and let’s try and keep it nice!

Phil in Northampton
Good to hear the old man regaling tales, Phil! My grandmother suffered awfully with dementia but the best times had were those reminiscing!

Now this is a good thread Phil.

Broke my arm last June. 6 operations later, most to scrape out dead flesh and bone as had acquired a bacterial infection. Regular meetings post ops with Consultants and Physios managing my expectation that high risk of losing my forearm. Today told, that risk is now “ minimal”. So, let’s keep this thread going.

Jack - Admin wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Hiya Phil I started my new job at the Grange hospital yesterday enjoying it as well

Hope the family well mate and keep safe
Congratulations Jim, I would imagine hospitals at the moment are quite the challenge.
They most certainly are. Had my first period of 6 days off since Feb last. Everybody flat out and doing the business. The work the NHS is doing for patients is superb.

pembsexile wrote:
Jack - Admin wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Hiya Phil I started my new job at the Grange hospital yesterday enjoying it as well

Hope the family well mate and keep safe
Congratulations Jim, I would imagine hospitals at the moment are quite the challenge.
They most certainly are. Had my first period of 6 days off since Feb last. Everybody flat out and doing the business. The work the NHS is doing for patients is superb.
Bloody nora, that's got to be a celebration in itself just having some time off! Thanks for what you do in the NHS / hospital.

Phil - great thread and nice to hear pleasing news from the family frontline.

Phil and Jack - dementia is such a cruel disease, both my grandmothers had it but, you're right, it was nice to hear that even though they often couldn't remember my name, they usually remembered what they had for tea the day war broke out.

UTP - congrats on the new job, the hospitals need all the support they can get so good on you.

Pembs - nasty news about your daughter, online fraudsters are callous and deserve to be caught and punished, hope she's not permanently out of pocket and her bank/card company foot the bill. We should all regularly change our online passwords - 3 random words joined together with a number or character separating them is the strongest password format I'm told.

Handolucifer - Ouch, sounds scary and horrific, glad you're on the road to recovery, stay safe.

Me - I started a new job yesterday also. Still a public servant but now in a completely different job. Gone from prosecuting criminals to helping communities. Moved house just after Xmas and now live about 100 yards from the sea. Covid restrictions have been getting me down recently, so I signed up to do some local volunteering for the elderly and housebound, once the DBS check* comes through I'll be walking peoples' dogs, collecting their groceries and spending time chatting on the phone.

Once lockdown eases and my new elderly friends have all been vaccinated, I've got mischievous plans to take them all down the pub and get them all bladdered!

* I've got 2 enhanced valid DBS clearances already, one from coaching in the NCAFC junior set-up, yet I have to get checked yet again to run errands. Sometimes think we need a better checking system.

As well as missing the football,I also miss my Thursday nights at the Folk Club.The first week of lockdown a Zoom virtual Folk night was set up,this has not only kept us all in touch but gave us something to look forward to every week.It has proved popular with singers from various other clubs in England,Ireland and USA joining us most weeks and this has created new friendships with like minded people we would otherwise never have met.I still marvel at the technology where,a guy sat in his living room thousands of miles away in Boston Mass,can see and hear us clearly and we can hear and see him as if he’s in the next room.

When lockdown first happened nextdoor's cat - always quite a nervous fellow - started coming to visit us when we were sitting in the garden. It was as though he thought "poor blighters are stuck here, fed up. I will nip over and say hi".

Over time he grew bolder, visiting us every day. We've never fed him. He just rocks up, checks on us, has a bit of a cuddle and wanders over to use the loo (aka my shrubbery).

Sometimes he will nervously come into the house to see us though he always keeps one eye on his escape route. I really look forward to visits from our little lockdown companion. And my shrubs are growing like billio.

Handolucifer wrote:Now this is a good thread Phil.

Broke my arm last June. 6 operations later, most to scrape out dead flesh and bone as had acquired a bacterial infection. Regular meetings post ops with Consultants and Physios managing my expectation that high risk of losing my forearm. Today told, that risk is now “ minimal”. So, let’s keep this thread going.
Great news Marc,you must be relieved,how did you come to do such damage.

Nice thread Phil
I work with 7 adults with learning difficulties / mental health issues living in 2 bungalows next door to each other and last week we had our first Covid case.
One of our ladies contracted it and has been really poorly and we feared the worst if I'm honest but I started a night shift at 10pm tonight and she is back home from hospital sitting up eating soup and toast and feeling so much better.
So pleased to have her back
Never felt so happy doing a night shift.
Thanks to all the staff at Kingsmill hospital in Mansfield

Under the Green dome
Forever grateful!
I had the good fortune to attend Newport Art college as some are aware
The late sixties were great evolving times..Music, Art,all creativity.
Lockdown for those on their own must be big challenge
Those years at the college have served me well since retirement
I went through a dark patch mentally at the start of retirement but my creative skills are such a plus..Having a short attention span I like giving everything a go..Bonzai,engraving,making items for others enjoyment ,using textiles,pickling ,,preserving and inventive cooking,woodwork and things various
At present I'm making curtains for my granddaughter's outdoor playhouse and a dovecote for one of my son's.
I am so fortunate to have two sons locally
We must cherish family
Out of lockdown I hope to do a bit more at Guildford Action which gives me great pleasure
So ,yes let this be a nice thread...tell us a bit how you cope in lockdown
In the meantime I'm gonna do a bit of sewing :bounce: