Grandstand: Tranmere v Exiles

Tuesday 2nd March 2021.
Tranmere Rovers v Newport County.
KO 19:00

Newport County and Tranmere Rovers have met on twenty eight occasions.
Tranmere have achieved the league double three times while County twice.

Most recent meetings between both clubs:

1979 / 1980:
Newport County 2-0 Tranmere Rovers. Goals from John Aldridge and Steve Lowndes.

Tranmere Rovers 0-2 Newport County. Two goals from Nigel Vaughan, one a penalty, earned County this victory, the first of  ten successive league victories. County were eventually promoted to Division Three while Rovers finished just below mid table.

1987 / 1988:
Tranmere Rovers 4-0 Newport County.

Newport County 0-3 Tranmere Rovers.
Tranmere finished the season mid table while County finished bottom in 24th position, nineteen points adrift of 23rd placed Carlisle, and were thus relegated from the Football League, not to return until twenty five years on in 2013.

2014 / 2015:
Tranmere Rovers 0-0 Newport County.
This early season draw saw County 17th and Rovers 15th after eight games each
This was Joe Day's fourth appearance for County on loan from Peterborough Utd.

Newport County 1-1 Tranmere Rovers.
Rover, desperate for points being near the drop zone, took the lead in first half injury time from Rory Donnelly. Play-off hopefuls County leveled late on through Mark Byrne. Rovers were now twentieth after twenty nine games but were eventually relegated to the Conference come the seasons end while County failed to make the play-offs.

2018 / 2019:
Tranmere Rovers 0-1 Newport County.
This was a third successive league away win for County, seven days after Yeovil thrashed County 6-0 at Rodney Parade. The games only goal came from Fraser Franks in the first five minutes, his second for the club.

Newport County 0-0 Tranmere Rovers.
Eight players received yellow cards throughout the ninety minutes while two Rovers players were spared from red cards during the second half. With seven games remaining, County were seven points (taking goal difference into account) outside of the play-offs while Rovers were as good as certs for the play-offs with five to play.

League Two play-off final, Wembley:
Tranmere Rovers 1-0 Newport County AET. County went into this match unbeaten in their previous twelve matches.
After a goalless ninety minutes in which both sides appealed for penalties and County's Mark O'Brien was sent off shortly before full time, extra time it was.
It took Tranmere almost the full thirty minutes to score the games only goal against County's ten when Conor Jennings scored at the Tranmere end. Unlucky thirteen after a twelve match unbeaten run.

2020 / 2021:

Newport County 1-0 Tranmere Rovers.
The games only goal came from Saikou Janneh, his first goal for County.
Tranmere had Paul Lewis sent off early stages of the second half.

Managers:
Tranmere Rovers - Keith Hill.
Newport County - Mike Flynn.

Head to head:
Both managers have never met as opposing managers. Keith Hill has faced County twice, both as manager of Rochdale.
During season 2013 / 2014, his Rochdale team beat County 3-0 at Spotland in October and then, an already promoted Rochdale, traveled to Rodney Parade on the final weekend of the season. Dale scored first on twenty eight minutes by George Donnelly. Aaron O'Connor leveled for County around five minutes from the break. Despite having Ryan Jackson sent off on eighty four minutes, Kevin Feely scored what proved to be the winner on eighty eight minutes.

Some of the players current / past who've had connections with both Newport County and Tranmere Rovers:
Steve Warriner
Steve Cooper
John Aldridge  
Rhys Taylor
Danny Holmes
Archie Waterston
Aaron Collins
Jennison Myrie-Williams
Sid Nelson
George Barker
Maxime Blanchard
Calaum Jahraldo-Martin
Billy Charlton
Kevin Cooper
Rhys Taylor
Ben Davies
Neil Davis
Janoi Donacien
Kevin Ellison
Frank Rawcliffe
Paul Hall
Marlon Jackson
Otis Khan
Joss Labadie
Percy Richards
Jack Lewis
Matt O'Mahoney
Jim Pollard

1. Tranmere have lost just one of their latest eleven L2 matches.
2. Of fifteen L2 matches at Prenton Park this season thus far, Tranmere have failed to score on five occasions.
3. Tranmere's latest eight L2 matches at Prenton Park have seen the visitors score at least once.
4. Tranmere have scored thirteen goals in total in their latest six L2 matches at Prenton Park.
5. Tranmere have lost six L2 matches at Prenton Park this season thus far.
6. Of fifteen L2 matches at Prenton Park this season thus far, Tranmere have led 1-0 during eight of them and have won all eight.
7. The visitors have scored first in seven of fifteen L2 matches at Prenton Park this season thus far. Tranmere failed to win any of those seven matches.
8. County have scored at least once in all fifteen L2 matches away this season thus far.
9. Of fifteen L2 matches away this season thus far, County have yet to have a penalty scored against them.
10. County have won only one of their latest seven L2 matches away.
11. County have failed to score more than once in any of their latest seven L2 matches.
12. From thirty league games each, County have had four sendings off while Tranmere have had just the one sending off which was Paul Lewis at Rodney Parade.
Last edited by reebok0165 on March 1st, 2021, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Grandstand: Tranmere v Exiles

Thanks for the info Mr Reebok, a good read as always. This is an interesting stat from your notes - “ County have scored at least once in all fifteen L2 matches away this season thus far.”

Might have something to do with other teams’ better pitch surfaces during the winter months but, over the whole season so far, it’s impressive to read that we always seem to score at least once. I wonder if it has anything to do with pre-match preparation i.e. the squad either stay overnight or at least arrive several hours before kick-off, perhaps MF could do something similar for home games like get them all to meet up at midday and go for a coffee to discuss tactics, before heading to The Mud Bowl for the game?

Puts my 4-0 home win into some doubt! Personally I’m expecting a comfortable home win, Tranmere’s front 2 are scoring for fun at the moment, hope I’m wrong.

Blackandamber wrote:3rd January 1976 Newport County 1-5 Tranmere

I took my wife (girl friend at the time) to this game. She didn't come again until we won the Conference South in 2010. Maybe she'll come again in 2044.
I think I’ve cured my wife of Newport County as well :grin: The pretence of a weekend in Cambridge only to end up watching us vs Histon was one of the final nails. She isn’t averse to the occasional weekend away though as long as her attendance at the match is optional.
Thanks also to Reebok for the information, I can’t see past a comfortable home win tomorrow but as usual lately I’m hoping for an upturn in form.

Percy plunkett wrote:You never know with our lot.We lost to ten man Stevenage then the next match beat Leicester,only County can take us on a roller coaster of ups and downs.
You are quite right of course, only County can take us on this roller coaster. Just as only Rovers can take Tranmere on this roller coaster, City, Exeter fans on the roller coaster. Same ride, different carriage.

However part of our love for football is you do never know. If I had to bet my life I'd go for a comfortable Tranmere win, but County doing the business in Prenton tonight wouldn't be a major shock. I've thought about this and have come to the conclusion that if it weren't for Monday mornings, there would be no Friday nights. And as for glory hunters who choose to follow big teams, well I'm sure when Liverpool last lifted the Champions Cup they enjoyed the evening but I rather suspect we enjoyed May 2013 a bloody site more.