Re: Is Sheehan over rated ?

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Believe on decent pitches he could play higher than League 2, but currently on the RP pitch he is mediocre and indeed wouldn't be in my starting X1. Will he command a lucrative signing-on fee in the Summer.? I have my doubts.
Serious question. Why do you doubt? Put another way had he left in January would you expect a transfer fee?
Guess that depends on what you understand as lucrative. Imo he isn't of a high enough quality to command one. Of course if he transferred in Jan I would have expected a transfer fee as he was under contract.
Well let's see where he starts next season.
Just to clarify, I was not doubting he will leave for another club in the summer, but I do doubt it will be for what I would describe as a lucrative signing-on fee. Doubt if we will know for certain the amount.
For what it's worth, hope I'm wrong and he does command a large signing-on and goes on to bigger and better things; having briefly spoken to the young man, and a little more extensively with his parents at home games, I have found them very likeable people, Unfortunately I think his worth has fallen since the turn of the year.
Hi,

I am sure he and his parents are perfectly good people. I should add also that when it comes to monies received by players, managers or the person who makes the tea I believe they are all entitled to earn as much as they can get. If footballers generally are massively over paid, and I believe they are, then let it not be said that I blame the players.

The idea that Sheehan has not had discussions with other clubs, has not been made offers, or has not accepted one of those offers is for the birds. His value will not have fallen, if his performances are not what they were it's because he is making as certain as he can that he won't get crocked between now and the end of April.

And I believe that because in his shoes I'd be doing exactly the same.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Believe on decent pitches he could play higher than League 2, but currently on the RP pitch he is mediocre and indeed wouldn't be in my starting X1. Will he command a lucrative signing-on fee in the Summer.? I have my doubts.
Serious question. Why do you doubt? Put another way had he left in January would you expect a transfer fee?
Guess that depends on what you understand as lucrative. Imo he isn't of a high enough quality to command one. Of course if he transferred in Jan I would have expected a transfer fee as he was under contract.
Well let's see where he starts next season.
Just to clarify, I was not doubting he will leave for another club in the summer, but I do doubt it will be for what I would describe as a lucrative signing-on fee. Doubt if we will know for certain the amount.
For what it's worth, hope I'm wrong and he does command a large signing-on and goes on to bigger and better things; having briefly spoken to the young man, and a little more extensively with his parents at home games, I have found them very likeable people, Unfortunately I think his worth has fallen since the turn of the year.
Hi,

I am sure he and his parents are perfectly good people. I should add also that when it comes to monies received by players, managers or the person who makes the tea I believe they are all entitled to earn as much as they can get. If footballers generally are massively over paid, and I believe they are, then let it not be said that I blame the players.

The idea that Sheehan has not had discussions with other clubs, has not been made offers, or has not accepted one of those offers is for the birds. His value will not have fallen, if his performances are not what they were it's because he is making as certain as he can that he won't get crocked between now and the end of April.

And I believe that because in his shoes I'd be doing exactly the same.
Think that playing football in his shoes is taking it carefully a little too far!

Definitely not overrated you don't get an international cap without real ability and Rob Page was very complimentary of him after his time with Wales.

Let's be honest the whole team have hopefully just come through a bad patch. I'd have to disagree about him being disinterested and he has worked as hard as anyone else since returning from suspension and has run his socks off in the last 3 games in particular Walsall away where he did a lot of unselfish work.

Any club which was thinking about signing Sheehan won't have had a change of heart. There was no need to pay a fee in January for someone who is on the market in July. They also know what level of performance they can expect, and it won't be influenced by a slump in team performances which have been substantially infuenced by our playing surface.

I wouldn't say disinterested. I also wouldn't compare his stats to Twine as they had different roles in the side (though that's not to say that I don't think he's capable of contributing more on the goals front. The pitch doesn't help as much more of the game is now played over his head. To me I think it just doesn't matter quite so much to him. If we go up, great - if we don't, no problem as in his head he won't be a County player next season. Equally I guess there will be some on the fringes of the squad that know they are struggling to get into a league two side so other than a promotion bonus they know they won't be offered a new contract next season if we're in league one. To me there are maybe 4 or 5 capable of cutting it at league one level.

Playing Sheehan in a deeper role seems wasteful to me. He was almost stepping on Dolan shoes on times first half. We need him to pick holes in and around the box as he did late on and play more in role Twine was doing. In the home against Tranmere, Spearing was not allowed a rest but he just dictated matters through the middle tonight and they blocked us down the flanks.