Which is a better team?

I was thinking the other day..... Which is a better side..... Our Conference South winning side under Holdsworth or the current team under Flynn?

How many of each side would make it into a combined side?
(playing a 5 - 3 - 2)

GK

RWB
CB
CB
CB
LWB

DM
CM
CM

FW
FW

Let's see the opinions of posters and make the side up of who we rate better options

The main players to consider from the 2009/10 season if you forgot them are
GK. - Thompson
D. - Warren
D. - Bignot
D. - Cochlin
M. - Collins
M. - Foley
M. - Henry
M. - Rogers
M. - Rose
M. - Turk
FW. - Reid

Re: Which is a better team?

neilcork68 wrote:In their 'prime of that season' . Warren, Collins, Foley, Turk and maybe Reid would be better options than some of our current players
Foley and maybe Rose. That's it for me into our current team. Warren / Collins before Demetriou / Dolan / Farq / Bennett / DLK I think not. Doubt Turk would make the step up and Reid didn't when given the chance at league football.

Warren in his prime was miles better than Farq and DLK in my opinion
Turk with full time training would be ideal in a 5- 3-2 formation as he used to sit in front of the defence and break up play, then play simple passes, who have we got who does that? MF even tried Willmott to do it.
Rose and Foley went onto better things higher in the pyramid so that's a given and Collins, IMO would have been a good addition to the squad.. Not brilliant but reliable and able to play in midfield or defence if called on. He wouldn't be a starter but to come off the bench or fill in when Lab's has his 10 injuries or suspensions per season. He wouldn't have let you down

neilcork68 wrote:Warren in his prime was miles better than Farq and DLK in my opinion
Turk with full time training would be ideal in a 5- 3-2 formation as he used to sit in front of the defence and break up play, then play simple passes, who have we got who does that? MF even tried Willmott to do it.
Rose and Foley went onto better things higher in the pyramid so that's a given and Collins, IMO would have been a good addition to the squad.. Not brilliant but reliable and able to play in midfield or defence if called on. He wouldn't be a starter but to come off the bench or fill in when Lab's has his 10 injuries or suspensions per season. He wouldn't have let you down
sit in front of the defence and break up play, then play simple passes, who have we got who does that? What do you think Labadie does? Your question was for a combined team not squad. Warren in a squad then maybe.

GK. - Townsend
RWB. - Shephard
CB. - Demetriou
CB. - Dolan
CB. - Farquharson / DLK
LWB. - Haynes
DM. - Labadie
CM. - Sheehan
CM. - Rose
FW. - Foley
FW. - Amond

Blackandamber wrote:A lot of us will probably remember Bignot and Reid after their peak. Both were stars of the 2010 side. Maybe Henry too.
The thing is that those players while exceptional at Conference South level simply weren't good enough at a higher level. It's comparative. In simple terms a winger can look like a world beater skimming past defenders at League 2 level but simply useless against a defender one league up. Perhaps a better analogy would be myself. I'm not that bright but look more clever than my uncle Albert when arguing with GSB. :grin:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:A lot of us will probably remember Bignot and Reid after their peak. Both were stars of the 2010 side. Maybe Henry too.
The thing is that those players while exceptional at Conference South level simply weren't good enough at a higher level. It's comparative. In simple terms a winger can look like a world beater skimming past defenders at League 2 level but simply useless against a defender one league up. Perhaps a better analogy would be myself. I'm not that bright but look more clever than my uncle Albert when arguing with GSB. :grin:
Craig Reid did score 8 goals for Stevenage after leaving the County and 11 for Aldershot the season after. Both were EFL clubs at the time. Bignot and Henry's EFL careers were fairly short.

I wonder what the budget was for the Conference South side compared to the current side ?

UTP many of the Conference South side played for other Football League clubs after leaving us and IMO are equally as good , if not better man for man.
IMO its probably a 6 / 5 split on each team to make an 11 ..6 from the current squad , 5 from 2009/10

GK.....Townsend
RWB....Shephard
CB......Demetriou
CB......Warren *
CB .....Dolan
LWB....Collins *
DM........Turk *
CM.......Labadie
CM.......Rose *
CF........Amond
CF.......Foley ( more of a number 10 floating between midfield and attack ) *

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

You also have to take into account that there are numerous players playing in non league who earn more money working and playing part time who are better players than League footballers.
When we played Wealdstone in the FA Trophy they had a guy up front who scored for fun in non league...He was courted by numerous Football League teams upto League 1 level.. He had no intention of becoming a FULL TIME professional player as he was a London Stock Market Trader earning more in a day than some players earned in a month and playing for Wealdstone for 'pocket money' as they were level 7 of the pyramid