Re: Which is a better team?

neilcork68 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:A lot of us will probably remember Bignot and Reid after their peak. Both were stars of the 2010 side. Maybe Henry too.
The thing is that those players while exceptional at Conference South level simply weren't good enough at a higher level. It's comparative. In simple terms a winger can look like a world beater skimming past defenders at League 2 level but simply useless against a defender one league up. Perhaps a better analogy would be myself. I'm not that bright but look more clever than my uncle Albert when arguing with GSB. :grin:

You also have to take into account that there are numerous players playing in non league who earn more money working and playing part time who are better players than League footballers.
When we played Wealdstone in the FA Trophy they had a guy up front who scored for fun in non league...He was courted by numerous Football League teams upto League 1 level.. He had no intention of becoming a FULL TIME professional player as he was a London Stock Market Trader earning more in a day than some players earned in a month and playing for Wealdstone for 'pocket money' as they were level 7 of the pyramid
That's a fair point and I don' doubt that there are a number of players in non league who could perform at a higher level. But I'm still of the view that one certainly and perhaps two or three others had such ability. That is not a criticism of the players. My favourite of that team was Kerry Morgan. Vital player and really nice man. However I don't think he would have lasted as a full time League player.

I thought that about Alex Samuel....He gave 100% and was very fast was my way of thinking about him and his ability.
He went to Stevenage and then on to Wycombe and became a decent player, obviously after having good coaching and nurturing his obvious natural talent. Whilst with us he looked like he couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo but at Wycombe he looks a decent finisher

Great post this, real trip down memory lane.

I would easily swap Reid and Foley for any of our current strikers, I think Reid finally moved to Stevange? and I'm sure he did pretty well first couple of seasons and he actually shot from the edge of the box accurately!!

I also loved Turk, totally under-rated and would have him and Warren in a heart beat. Bignot would make the squad for sure, though I prefer Shepherd.

The only player people rated out of that side who I had little time for was Collins in midfield.

I have an idea Turk was another with a good career outside the game. One player who looked great against us for Brackley Town worked in design for Jaguar Land Rover.

Funnily enough Jamie Collins would have been one of the first names on my team sheet in that era. The point in the record-breaking season when we started to pull away was when we signed him. Martyn Giles hardly got a look in at left back from then on.

The NCFC Hippy wrote:Great post this, real trip down memory lane.

I would easily swap Reid and Foley for any of our current strikers, I think Reid finally moved to Stevange? and I'm sure he did pretty well first couple of seasons and he actually shot from the edge of the box accurately!!

I also loved Turk, totally under-rated and would have him and Warren in a heart beat. Bignot would make the squad for sure, though I prefer Shepherd.

The only player people rated out of that side who I had little time for was Collins in midfield.
As I said earlier Craig Reid did score 8 goals for Stevenage after leaving the County and 11 for Aldershot the season after. Both were EFL clubs at the time.

The NCFC Hippy wrote:Great post this, real trip down memory lane.

Reid was outstanding for us but was never convincing as a goal scorer in the EFL (take a look at his Aldershot/Stevenage stats).
Maybe Conference/Nat Lg was his level.

rgds Dave