Re: Argus breaking news: County asking EFL to play elsewhere

excessbee wrote:So, is this £1.4m in gate receipts and a promisary note from the EFL for the next twelve months collateral or not?
If you want to ;borrow' in reality buy from a bank you need to have a viable business plan. Thirty four years ago I got my first mortgage. I would not have got that mortgage but for the fact I had a job. Could I guarantee with absolute certainty that I wouldn't get sacked, wouldn't fall ill? Of course not. Did I have to make sacrifices? Of course. Did I have nights wondering how I could afford it? Absolutely. Could I have just carried on renting? Yes. Had I done so, would I have had more money to spend on going out and enjoying myself in 1987? You bet. Am I paying rent now? No. Do I regret those hardships then? Absolutely not.

Other clubs from towns considerably smaller than Newport have developed stadiums. Why can't we?.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote:So, is this £1.4m in gate receipts and a promisary note from the EFL for the next twelve months collateral or not?
If you want to ;borrow' in reality buy from a bank you need to have a viable business plan. Thirty four years ago I got my first mortgage. I would not have got that mortgage but for the fact I had a job. Could I guarantee with absolute certainty that I wouldn't get sacked, wouldn't fall ill? Of course not. Did I have to make sacrifices? Of course. Did I have nights wondering how I could afford it? Absolutely. Could I have just carried on renting? Yes. Had I done so, would I have had more money to spend on going out and enjoying myself in 1987? You bet. Am I paying rent now? No. Do I regret those hardships then? Absolutely not.

Other clubs from towns considerably smaller than Newport have developed stadiums. Why can't we?.
A simple 'yes or no' would have been enough. :wink:

excessbee wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

A simple 'yes or no' would have been enough. :wink:
Not at all. It was a perfectly reasonable question. It was asked in a perfectly pleasant manner and as such I thought it deserved a full reply. :wink:

Seriously though. I genuinely don't expect people to automatically agree with me. Indeed people asking questions forces an honest pundit to firm up their response. Whilst you don't share many of my views I really don't have a problem with you and I enjoy your contributions. What I object to, and you are not guilty of this, is those who made snide remarks without actually ever debating issues or offering any reasoning as to why they hold their views.

Name a club from a town smaller than Newport which has been able to invest in a new ground without having an old one to trade in?

On the extent to which RP needs us as tenants, agreed we wouldn't have had a sniff of it if NRFC - badly shafted by investing in a stand they didn't need - hadn't been in such dire straits at that point. The place had the feel of a project where the money had run out, e.g. the disgraceful lack of provision for disabled supporters.

But I'd argue that it has also been a failure because the product is a dud with limited and shrinking spectator appeal. And on top of that the WRU's income has collapsed. Even with government grants they will never recoup the costs of the pandemic. This makes a tenancy by the only possible candidate all the more essential.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Name a club from a town smaller than Newport which has been able to invest in a new ground without having an old one to trade in?

On the extent to which RP needs us as tenants, agreed we wouldn't have had a sniff of it if NRFC - badly shafted by investing in a stand they didn't need - hadn't been in such dire straits at that point. The place had the feel of a project where the money had run out, e.g. the disgraceful lack of provision for disabled supporters.

But I'd argue that it has also been a failure because the product is a dud with limited and shrinking spectator appeal. And on top of that the WRU's income has collapsed. Even with government grants they will never recoup the costs of the pandemic. This makes a tenancy by the only possible candidate all the more essential.
Rotherham. Didn't own Millmoor. They were tenants there.

How many TV viewers do you think watched the England v Wales game Saturday? The main income for the WRU comes from the international game. The idea that the rent paid by Newport County to use Rodney Parade is a vital source of income for the WRU is indeed nonsensical.

However my argument is that like a new home owner who wants to buy a house they haven't got the money for, if County wish to own a stadium or have a stadium to use in which they have an equal stake they need to look long term, borrow over the long term, look for alternative methods to raise income, in short make short term sacrifices for long term gain. Just like a new home owner.

Now you have said that my argument is facile. I'm getting weary of having to answer your questions whilst you avoid answering mine. So again George why do you say my argument is facile?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: Rotherham. Didn't own Millmoor. They were tenants there.

Yes, I'll give you Rotherham and I did only ask for one, but at least that's a shorter list that when you cited Wigan, Scunthorpe, Doncaster, Walsall, Telford, Kidderminster, Chester, Swansea, Yeovil, Huddersfield, Brighton, Reading, Colchester and Shrewsbury as well as having outstripped us, when all bar one had had grounds to move from and the other hadn't relocated in 127 years.

For the Nth time, house purchasers trading up don't find the act of trading up in itself chokes off the source of income needed for the project to succeed. A non-bogus analogy would be if trading your house up posed serious risk of a major demotion and loss of status at work.

And while we're on unanswered questions, why you were urging people to engage with Mr Buttress when it now emerges you already thought he had effectively helped serve notice on us?
The idea that the rent paid by Newport County to use Rodney Parade is a vital source of income for the WRU is indeed nonsensical.
Vital for the WRU overall? Of course not. Vital for the success of the premises they own as a sporting venue? Certainly.
However my argument is that like a new home owner who wants to buy a house they haven't got the money for, if County wish to own a stadium or have a stadium to use in which they have an equal stake they need to look long term, borrow over the long term, look for alternative methods to raise income, in short make short term sacrifices for long term gain. Just like a new home owner.
Just like Dover Athletic, [Edit: Wealdstone] who we have both applauded for being wary of debt in uncertain times. And owning your own ground isn't a universal panacea, it's overwhelmingly likely to involve a mortgage which could be just as onerous as rent. And what are the costs even of employing and equipping your own ground staff?

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: Rotherham. Didn't own Millmoor. They were tenants there.

Yes, I'll give you Rotherham and I did only ask for one, but at least that's a shorter list that when you cited Wigan, Scunthorpe, Doncaster, Walsall, Telford, Kidderminster, Chester, Swansea, Yeovil, Huddersfield, Brighton, Reading, Colchester and Shrewsbury as well as having outstripped us, when all bar one had had grounds to move from and the other hadn't relocated in 127 years.

For the Nth time, house purchasers trading up don't find the act of trading up in itself chokes off the source of income needed for the project to succeed. A non-bogus analogy would be if trading your house up posed serious risk of a major demotion and loss of status at work.

And while we're on unanswered questions, why you were urging people to engage with Mr Buttress when it now emerges you already thought he had effectively helped serve notice on us?
The idea that the rent paid by Newport County to use Rodney Parade is a vital source of income for the WRU is indeed nonsensical.
Vital for the WRU overall? Of course not. Vital for the success of the premises they own as a sporting venue? Certainly.
Just like Dover Athletic, [Edit: Wealdstone] who we have both applauded for being wary of debt in uncertain times. And owning your own ground isn't a universal panacea, it's overwhelmingly likely to involve a mortgage which could be just as onerous as rent. And what are the costs even of employing and equipping your own ground staff?
George,

Chester did not own Sealand Road. Indeed the owners of the ground kicked them out, forcing Chester to play at Moss Rose, Macclesfield.

I do wish you would do a little rudimentary research before spouting off. I genuinely take no pleasure in making you look foolish.

Now please, I have no difficulty in you disagreeing with me, but I would be grateful if you would do me the courtesy of explaining why you believe my argument to be 'facile'.

George Street-Bridge wrote:For the Nth time plus one: The comparison is facile because house purchasers trading up don't find the act of trading up in itself chokes off the source of income needed for the project to succeed. A non-bogus analogy would be if trading your house up posed serious risk of a major demotion and loss of status at work.
Oh dear George,

I disagree with your analysis. However you are entitled to disagree with mine. Whilst I find your use of the word facile somewhat rude you now use the word bogus.

Dictionary definition of bogus:

Not genuine or true. (Used in a disapproving manner when a deception has been attempted). " a bogus insurance claim"

Please George, I am prepared to accept than your error with respect to Chester was down to a lack of research on your part, incompetent but not dishonest. I fear you are a very rude man and if you continue like this, spewing out outrageous claims with respect to my integrity, then like Paddington Bear, I shall give you the cold stare. :shock:

CB. wrote:With there being no fans allowed would Spytty or Dragon Park be viable options?

Presumably the reasons that they are not “League standard” is all to do with provisions for supporters.

We have must have a plan A,B and C at least to be talking to the press about it.
I think changing facilities in separate areas will be the downfall of many grounds. I suspect Dragon Park has more chance of complying than Spytty but my money would be on us sharing with Cardiff City if the EFL permit it.

Collars wrote:
CB. wrote:With there being no fans allowed would Spytty or Dragon Park be viable options?

Presumably the reasons that they are not “League standard” is all to do with provisions for supporters.

We have must have a plan A,B and C at least to be talking to the press about it.
I think changing facilities in separate areas will be the downfall of many grounds. I suspect Dragon Park has more chance of complying than Spytty but my money would be on us sharing with Cardiff City if the EFL permit it.
Away sides at RP currently use a tented facility so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Remember County used the bar at a recent away game.

Collars wrote:

Surely Spytty has changing facilities for athletics as well as football