Re: Argus breaking news: County asking EFL to play elsewhere

George Street-Bridge wrote:The house thing is a facile comparison, like the one comparing us renting at RP to a resident homeowner having a lodger. At many points we could have set out to build a new stadium - the trick would have been doing it while retaining the playing status we had achieved at that point, which is a different task altogether.
George,
As always you simply make bare assertions. I say buying a house which you haven't got the money to hand to buy needs planning and a preparedness to make short term sacrifices for long term gain, spending your money wisely and being prepared for the long haul. I believe the same applies to developing a stadium.

You say that is a 'facile comparison'. That's fine but unless you tell me why I can't really argue can I?

And further to that George 35 years ago I bought my first house. I could just about afford the mortgage but had to borrow £2,000 for the deposit. I paid it back at £200 a month I also took in a lodger who paid me £200 a month. After a year she left to live with her boyfriend. I'd paid off the loan, used the £400 over to take a holiday and decided I'd prefer to not have the hassle of a stranger in my home and didn't take another lodger.

Dragons built a new stand. The repayments were stifling. They took in Newport County. County's rent undoubtedly helped pay off the cost of the stand. Once paid for will the rugby want the hassle of a stranger in their house? I don't think so. Of course you are free to disagree but saying the argument is facile is even by your done and dusted standards pushing it just a tad don't ya think?

I don't make "bare assertions", I always show my workings and they don't change. We've done the house lodger analogy so many times. For the Nth time it only works if there is only one person who could ever fill that role. Six months down the line your income dives and you need a new occupant in the spare room, what if you've parted company with the only candidate? Maybe on bad terms?

And of course our landlord - by your assertion - is 14 miles down the road, not resident.

For the buying a house and gradually trading up thing, the process - which probably most here have done - is your income rises, you take your first steps into bricks and mortar. It rises again, you trade up or extend. Etc etc. But for a football club in our situation with no collateral, investing in the trade-up in itself is likely to cut the income needed to make it work.

The scenario is that at some point the board - of a club set up to return League football to Newport - had said to supporters: "We need our own ground, so we will probably have to pass on inaugural membership of Conference South/promotion from it/promotion to the EFL to achieve that." Imagine the reaction.

I'm still baffled why you were urging people to engage with Mr Buttress after you think he had effectively helped serve notice on us?

George Street-Bridge wrote:I don't make "bare assertions", I always show my workings and they don't change. We've done the house lodger analogy so many times. For the Nth time it only works if there is only one person who could ever fill that role. Six months down the line your income dives and you need a new occupant in the spare room, what if you've parted company with the only candidate? Maybe on bad terms?

And of course our landlord - by your assertion - is 14 miles down the road, not resident.

For the buying a house and gradually trading up thing, the process - which probably most here have done - is your income rises, you take your first steps into bricks and mortar. It rises again, you trade up or extend. Etc etc. But for a football club in our situation with no collateral, investing in the trade-up in itself is likely to cut the income needed to make it work.

The scenario is that at some point the board - of a club set up to return League football to Newport - had said to supporters: "We need our own ground, so we will probably have to pass on inaugural membership of Conference South/promotion from it/promotion to the EFL to achieve that." Imagine the reaction.

I'm still baffled why you were urging people to engage with Mr Buttress after you think he had effectively helped serve notice on us?
I think the reason you are baffled is because nuance is beyond you. David Buttress has his first and over-riding loyalty to the Gwent Dragons. If we don't engage with him how can we expect him to go against the wishes of the WRU?

Now let me answer your other points.

If the only possible candidate for my spare room was a pain in the arse I'd make do without them. I think it is possible to be on good terms with Gwent Dragons but as far as the WRU are concerned we will always be a pain in the arse.

Now another fundamental mistake you make is that Newport County have no collateral. This I'm afraid is beyond my understanding how anyone can be so ignorant of basic economics. Every time Newport County play a home game on average 3,500 people attend. The cost of admission on average is about £15-00. On average Newport County will play 27 home games per season. Therefore on gate receipts alone, not counting ancillary sales, EFL grants etc Newport County will generate per calendar year on gate receipts alone £1,417,500. How much collateral do you think we need?

Thank you for stating why you believe that which you do. At least now the readers of this board will understand you and me. They must make their own minds up as to who, if either of us is being facile.

excessbee wrote:One disastrous season and those gate receipts would be halved (at best) and the EFL contribution would disappear. Hardly 'collateral' with that level of security, or rather, insecurity, is it?
That's the point. If we develop a stadium the infrastructure is in place. Notts County are non-League. Do you doubt they will return? If we drop out of the League as things presently stand do you think we will?

But it's not just borrowing money, we need to raise money. Grants, contributions from supporters, investment from business, investment from the local authority and so much more. It's not easy I know that, but if we don't try failure is inevitable.