Re: Argus breaking news: County asking EFL to play elsewhere

George Street-Bridge wrote:Just last month you were repeatedly urging engagement with David Buttress after the podcast in which - fair play - he held up his hands to having had the final say on the Blues sharing the past-its-use-by-date pitch. Now the decision to allow the share = notice to quit. .
He could have stopped it but we know who the masters are. Yes I think we should engage with Dave Buttress.
George I do admire your tenacious loyalty to whomever has charge at Newport County. Unfortunately for over 30 years their has been a failure to address the problem issue of Newport County not having a suitable stadium. As I have said repeatedly the problem is not Rodney Parade per se but that we have no say in the matter.
David Buttress has repeatedly offered to engage with Newport County. But from what I have seen this has not been reciprocated. If there had been engagement then perhaps Buttress would have taken into account the views of Newport County. Of course it is possible he wouldn't or didn't. But frankly I know which of the two scenarios above I find the more plausible.

Incidentally and further to my post above.

In the programme for yesterday's game we saw the thoughts of Chairman Gavin Foxall. I dissected the remarks, applied logic and said that in my opinion the discussion with the EFL would be about a move from Rodney Parade. As those of you who have read my post will know, once you ask the right question and think things through it's not exactly rocket science. Although as rocket science is only 'every action has an equal and opposite reaction' rocket science isn't that complicated either.

Whilst I don't doubt GSB's good intentions, I'm afraid this loyalty and the loyalty of far too many supporters to whosoever has charge of our club is fostering a culture of complacency and inclusion which is taking us down the wrong road. The question we need to discuss properly is this. If we were relegated is the structure of our club robust enough to regroup and come back up, like Exeter or Lincoln or are we one of those clubs who are just going to plummet?

My view is that the structure is not there. And we either deal with this now or risk 700 attendees at Spytty in National League South.

And that begins with the directors of Newport County actually listening to all the fans not just those who tell them what they want to hear.

By the way the Argus had the interview with Gavin Foxall beforehand. That which he wrote in the programme was not the full story. You may wonder as did I why Newport County withheld the full story. Or of course you can believe that the Argus publishing the story 25 minutes after my post and less than an hour before we kicked off a vital League 2 game was a coincidence.

You can believe the moon is made of cheese as well.

Re: Argus breaking news

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Ugo. wrote:
flat4 wrote:This is not breaking news, GF had previously stated the club was in dialog with the EFL and a statement would be forth coming after the EFL board meeting next week, as usual the Argus is behind the times again.
Where and when did he say this as I for one haven't seen it mentioned before
He didn't say it. However exactly 24 minutes before the Argus 'broke' the story I had posted that my analysis showed that this was the likely outcome looking at what Gavin had said.
If you look at my post from Friday, entitled ‘Interesting...’, you’ll see I came to the same conclusion a day before. Where do I claim my prize? :lol:

George Street-Bridge wrote:It's very far from tenacious loyalty, just a preparedness to give maximum benefit of the doubt. Born of a recognition that the issues involved in running a club at this level are far, far more complex than the simplistic version often peddled here.
Maximum benefit of the doubt? And where does that end?

Here's my problem with you George. I don't think that running a football club is simple. But as every town or city the size of Newport manage to do so neither do I think it beyond the powers of comprehension of the readers of this board.
Newport County is a fans owned club. Unfortunately those with charge of Newport County seem to think that they alone possess the ability to make the necessary decisions and more worryingly do so in secret.
The chairman of Newport County had a long positive telephone conversation with the chairman of Newport Dragons. Really?

How about the chairman of Newport County had a telephone conversation with the chairman of Newport Dragons where they discussed.... The outcome of this discussion was...... those items which were unresolved were..... And there will be further discussions held on.... where these matters.. will be dealt with... In addition the club would be interested in any concerns fans might have with respect to Rodney Parade.

That would be how I would minute it.

Re: Argus breaking news

Jonesy3 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Ugo. wrote:
flat4 wrote:This is not breaking news, GF had previously stated the club was in dialog with the EFL and a statement would be forth coming after the EFL board meeting next week, as usual the Argus is behind the times again.
Where and when did he say this as I for one haven't seen it mentioned before
He didn't say it. However exactly 24 minutes before the Argus 'broke' the story I had posted that my analysis showed that this was the likely outcome looking at what Gavin had said.
If you look at my post from Friday, entitled ‘Interesting...’, you’ll see I came to the same conclusion a day before. Where do I claim my prize? :lol:
That's my point. It was obvious to anyone with a f@cking brain. Why the secrecy? Why not treat the supporters who own the bloody club like adults?

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: I don't think that running a football club is simple. But as every town or city the size of Newport manage to do so...

Do they?
Well let's see.

How many Premier League, EFL, or National League football teams pay rent to share a stadium with three rugby teams? And then have to seek permission to change stadia in March?

My guess is that only one has gotten itself into this complete mess.

George Street-Bridge wrote:And I can only think of two that have vanished completely in the last couple of years. I'm struggling to think of any clubs our size which have been relegated only once since 1989.

Did Sligo Rovers survive in the end?
I have no difficulty in answering your questions George old son. Sligo population 23,000 has a thriving football club with a stadium fit for purpose. Being owned by the fans and with a trust which takes on the hopes and concerns of said supporters. Probably why without fiddling the figures a go find me page got more than twice the revenue raised from one fifth of the potential support base than did Newport County.

Now I can't think of any football club from a city the size of Newport who rent a stadium and pitch for matches, are forced to share with three rugby teams, and anybody else who will pay to use it, and need to ask permission in March to play elsewhere.

Simple yes or no will suffice George, can you?

It’s quite simple really, only a few options exist to move to a new pitch or stadium:

We could stay where we are, continue paying a lease and contribute towards a better quality pitch.

We could speak to the bank about a loan to buy our own place. Problem is, we’ve got no assets to offer as collateral.

We ditch the ‘fans owned club’ ethos and hope a new investor wants to come in and take over. Great idea (does anyone know a Hollywood superstar or rich Arab Sheikh?). The benefits for any such investor would be non-existent for some years, with very little prospect of any meaningful money coming in until we manage a couple of promotions.

There must be another way but I can’t think of it, short of 3000 supporters all putting in £1000+ each, but even that wouldn’t buy much.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:It’s quite simple really, only a few options exist to move to a new pitch or stadium:

We could stay where we are, continue paying a lease and contribute towards a better quality pitch.

We could speak to the bank about a loan to buy our own place. Problem is, we’ve got no assets to offer as collateral.

We ditch the ‘fans owned club’ ethos and hope a new investor wants to come in and take over. Great idea (does anyone know a Hollywood superstar or rich Arab Sheikh?). The benefits for any such investor would be non-existent for some years, with very little prospect of any meaningful money coming in until we manage a couple of promotions.

There must be another way but I can’t think of it, short of 3000 supporters all putting in £1000+ each, but even that wouldn’t buy much.
There is another way. You develop a stadium over maybe 25 years. Same principle as buying a house. A three bedroom semi in Newport costs what, £150,000. If wevhad to find that tomorrow morning most of us would fail.

Of course should have started 25 years ago. We didn't. I'll be under the sod 25 years from now but even though I won't live to see it I'd still like our club to move in that direction.