Interesting...

Just been reading the free online match programme for tomorrow. In his 'View From The Boardroom', Gavin Foxall says the club have been talking to the EFL 'for some time' about the pitch.
He writes: "Whilst it may appear to be a simple issue to resolve, these types of challenges are littered with complexities. These must be worked through with the governing body.
"The club has been doing this, and as a result our 'exceptional circumstances' will be discussed at next week's EFL Board meeting. We will share the outcome with supporters."
Good to hear, and looks like we've asked to play our home matches elsewhere. Let's see what happens next week.

Re: Interesting...

You may be putting two and two together and making five. The EFL has the power to send in its own team of experts and did so three or four years ago, I think it's like they make you an offer you can't refuse.

if we were to take games say to Cardiff while we are crowdless it would show up the Dragons' CEO's claims about wanting to provide a centre for pro sport in Newport, given Cardiff Blues' interests were prioritised over the only professional club bearing the city's name.

If the sudden deterioration of the pitch has caused our loss of form and allowing us to play elsewhere were to reverse that trend, how would other teams in our league view this? Imagine a situation whereby we were to push another team out of a playoff position, as a result of an upturn in form.

Although another way of looking at it would be that other clubs can't have it both ways; complain about not being able to play on the mudpatch but also complain if we were allowed to play on a better surface, which by definition would be a better surface for them also.

I suspect that we may be making this a bit too complicated and thinking too deeply. The fact is, the pitch is not up to standard. We hear that the club is in discussions with the efl. Good. I just don’t think it is a consideration about whether a team will have or won’t have an advantage on it. It is just that it is not good enough to play league football on.

I think the efl will have a thought that they have to explore every opportunity to seek a solution. Other teams have obviously made comments/complaints. Wasn’t the FGR Manager taking photos before Saturday game. Perhaps he was going to put them in his personal album as a keepsake. :wink:

Playing elsewhere is one option. Stuff the politics.

IMHO it depends on whether we'l be speaking to the EFL at their request or ours. Last time it had a feel of being up before the beak, but they offered expertise and advice the landlords hadn't been prepared to invest in - to the landlords' benefit too.

Reaching a point where it's clear the season will play out with no crowds for either sport has moved the goalposts, so to speak. I'll repeat that I think RP needs us. There's no alternative tenant and rugby in Wales below international level seems to be on its arse as a spectator sport. If NRFC ever did revive to the extent they could start paying their way, a rise in their revenue would be at the expense of the Dragons.

Here's a wild fantasy. There's now an opportunity to get things off on the right foot for the future. We arrange to play at Cardiff City for the rest of the season AND the Dragons call in the favour for when they helped out the Blues and go to the Arms Park. This then makes it possible to start right away on laying the best possible new pitch at RP for next season.

[Edit for ambiguity; "hadn't been" prepared to invest in.]
Last edited by George Street-Bridge on February 27th, 2021, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

The pitch is a complex and potentially very expensive issue. I would say the last relay did solve the drainage issue. The style of pitch should enable grass to be sustained but what are the growing conditions - lighting used in Prem League is too expensive to buy and run.
The drainage takes away surface water but also washes out nutrients for growth which hang around is less well drained surfaces. So, again cost and manpower need to try and retain nutrients etc.
There probably needs to be a complete review of the maintenance regime and a realistic view of what is and is not possible.

Percy plunkett wrote:If the club is serious about promotion then Cardiff City should be approached.The Blues played on RP and the Dragons have three games left so a return gesture would work.Phil’s suggestion of relaying the pitch early would benefit everyone.

Intrigued by the suggestion of relaying the pitch early, but very much doubt if the Dragons would be in favour. Their coach has been quite adamant in saying that rugby should be played on grass(mud) and doesn't like artificial pitches. If they were to change their mind they have a playable artificial pitch of their own in Ystrad Mynach.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:If the club is serious about promotion then Cardiff City should be approached.The Blues played on RP and the Dragons have three games left so a return gesture would work.Phil’s suggestion of relaying the pitch early would benefit everyone.

Intrigued by the suggestion of relaying the pitch early, but very much doubt if the Dragons would be in favour. Their coach has been quite adamant in saying that rugby should be played on grass(mud) and doesn't like artificial pitches. If they were to change their mind they have a playable artificial pitch of their own in Ystrad Mynach.
Can't see Buttress being in favour of a switch to Cardiff Arms Park. Would be a very public admission that he ballsed up in allowing the Blues to play at RP at the expense of his Dragons. That County have been forced to leave for pastures new to see out this season is neither here nor there to Buttress and not something he will be held accountable for by the rugby fraternity.

George Street-Bridge wrote:You may be putting two and two together and making five. The EFL has the power to send in its own team of experts and did so three or four years ago, I think it's like they make you an offer you can't refuse.

if we were to take games say to Cardiff while we are crowdless it would show up the Dragons' CEO's claims about wanting to provide a centre for pro sport in Newport, given Cardiff Blues' interests were prioritised over the only professional club bearing the city's name.
Then again he might have been putting 2 and 2 together and making 4. In in fact I think he was.