Re: Grandstand: Exiles v Stevenage

I think the players have got it into their heads that “ you can’t play football on that “ . That only leads to a just hoof it attitude. I come from an era where many pitches were like today’s and many excellent , exciting games were played, players even had the apparently now extinct skill at our football club of being able to cross a ball past the first defender. A footballer can play football with an orange on a beach. I saw many good games played on the old Somerton beach - few, if any were as poor as today’s offering.

lowandhard wrote:I think the players have got it into their heads that “ you can’t play football on that “ . That only leads to a just hoof it attitude. I come from an era where many pitches were like today’s and many excellent , exciting games were played, players even had the apparently now extinct skill at our football club of being able to cross a ball past the first defender. A footballer can play football with an orange on a beach. I saw many good games played on the old Somerton beach - few, if any were as poor as today’s offering.
Hi Mike,
I don't think it was that poor. It was poor but I've seen much worse. What it was, was as dull as ditchwater.

lowandhard wrote:I think the players have got it into their heads that “ you can’t play football on that “ . That only leads to a just hoof it attitude. I come from an era where many pitches were like today’s and many excellent , exciting games were played, players even had the apparently now extinct skill at our football club of being able to cross a ball past the first defender. A footballer can play football with an orange on a beach. I saw many good games played on the old Somerton beach - few, if any were as poor as today’s offering.
Good post you can play football anywhere - a sense of urgency is all I would like to see - I don’t expect silky football on the pitch - route one would be fine with a defined tactic - Taylor who I am not a fan of but is tall and play a LK or Farkey up front - make the opposition nervous and give them a need to think - frustrating!

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Hi Mike,
I don't think it was that poor. It was poor but I've seen much worse. What it was, was as dull as ditchwater.
Hi Brendan, one thing that occurred to me is that on heavy pitches it’s difficult once you’ve had the ball pushed past you, to recover the situation. I don’t recall anyone trying to beat a man lately, it has , like high scoring wins, become almost a thing of the past. As you know I’ve watched football for a long time just like you and today I think their attitude affected the play just as much as the pitch. These men are professionals, and presumably intend to entertain us with skills we pay to see, skills it is assumed that we don’t possess ( at least to their quality ). Today I think they failed in that , I thought it was abysmal.

lowandhard wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Hi Mike,
Hi Brendan, one thing that occurred to me is that on heavy pitches it’s difficult once you’ve had the ball pushed past you, to recover the situation. I don’t recall anyone trying to beat a man lately, it has , like high scoring wins, become almost a thing of the past. As you know I’ve watched football for a long time just like you and today I think their attitude affected the play just as much as the pitch. These men are professionals, and presumably intend to entertain us with skills we pay to see, skills it is assumed that we don’t possess ( at least to their quality ). Today I think they failed in that , I thought it was abysmal.
Not looking for skills on that pitch - I have watched football since 71 so seen crap pitches what I want is urgency and tactics in line with the situation - today was poor.
We have a big squad with some players people rate Baker, Collins, Evans, LK not in what Flynn mentioned was a fully fit squad wonder why - finally Gambin should start - pace - energy - knows where the goal is.

A poor game in which we never looked like scoring in. 2 big away games now where we need 4 pts. For those concerned about Maynard, don't worry he'll be fine. He's never going to do a great deal in a game but he is clever and skilfull and will deliver. He doesn't have a link man at the moment, perhaps try Podge up front with him.

Probably one of the worst games I've ever seen in over 50 years of watching proffesional football.Yes the pitch is poor but no worse than the pitches of the 60s and 70s.There are certain players who have either lost their confidence or interest.Josh Sheehan hasn't been the same player since being picked for Wales.Ryan Haynes looks totally uninterested.Mickey D is not half the player he was last season.Our forwards have been starved of any decent service for weeks by a vertualy non existent midfield. Mid table I think is the best we can hope for this season.