Re: Can Robbie Willmott still do a job for Newport Next Seas

Exile 1976 wrote:
ajs wrote:There's only one person to blame for the amount of stick Wilmott revieved and that's Flynn. Flynn played him in positions he wasn't happy with, when he had players for those positions being ignored, players he brought to the club. Those ignored players must have been well pleased and their confidence shot. Hope Wilmott does well at Exeter and finds employment for next season, and yes I have critised his performances for us but the responsibilty was Flynns

100%
Thirded! We all knew Robbie was an old-fashioned right winger, why didn’t the manager?

ajs wrote:There's only one person to blame for the amount of stick Wilmott revieved and that's Flynn. Flynn played him in positions he wasn't happy with, when he had players for those positions being ignored, players he brought to the club. Those ignored players must have been well pleased and their confidence shot. Hope Wilmott does well at Exeter and finds employment for next season, and yes I have critised his performances for us but the responsibilty was Flynns
So it's Flynn's fault that some braindead idiots went onto social media and gave him nothing but vile abuse for months? What did he do, hold a gun to their heads and tell them to do it?

No they did that all by themselves, and they need to own up to that, not look for an excuse to allow them act like that. People may not agree with how the gaffer used him this season but that does not give them the right to be as disgusting as they have been towards him

Scenario

Saturday 8th May 2021

Southend United 0 Newport County 0
90 minutes gone , with 2 minutes to be added on

We need to match Exeter's result to qualify for the play offs
They are playing Barrow at home....Their game has gone into the final minute of added on time and Willmott has just scored to put Exeter 1-0 up ( we will miss out on the play offs because of it )
Rumours that other clubs had offered Willmott a contract MF has offered a new contract to Willmott in the previous week . Willmott has agreed to sign the 2 year deal offered to him to stay with us.
Can you imagine the outcry on here , Facebook ,etc if that were to happen

ComeOnCounty wrote:
So it's Flynn's fault that some braindead idiots went onto social media and gave him nothing but vile abuse for months? What did he do, hold a gun to their heads and tell them to do it?

No they did that all by themselves, and they need to own up to that, not look for an excuse to allow them act like that. People may not agree with how the gaffer used him this season but that does not give them the right to be as disgusting as they have been towards him

MF has a lot to be blamed for for playing him in every position apart from the ONLY position he can play in but did you seen some of Willmott's displays when he played 'out of position ?'
Even when he had a 'stinker' MF usually had him in the next starting line up

I cannot see him coming back and I don’t blame him. On his day, on the wing he could be brilliant for us and could actually cross the ball (sadly lacking at moment) and smash in shots from outside the penalty area. For me, although undertaking any role he was asked to do, often roles for which he was clearly not suited, if not on the wing he had a hang-dog, disinterested appearance which frustrated many, me included. Towards the end I think he had this appearance whatever position ne played in although I could be paying him a disservice there.

I wish him well at Exeter if that is where he ends up as he seems to be enjoying his football again. One telling thing for me, his goal he scored last week was from inside the 6-yard box. I can hardly remember him being in the penalty area for us! Clearly a different role which he seems to be thriving in.