Re: Open letter to Mickey Demetriou.

As much as I get fed up with these platitudes our players come out with, it’s the same for every player at every club in the land. A reporter from the local rag turns up & asks the nearest player why it’s going so badly/so well & said player comes out with the party line. ‘‘Twas ever thus’ & probably ever will be. We are no different.

I have been a supporter for over 60 years and I'm a regular reader of the message board even though I haven't previously been motivated to contribute. But Stan Einstein's open letter to Mickey Demetriou has forced me out of hiding.
The first thing that struck me about the letter was the unliklihood of Demetriou ever shaming the shirt and thus the redundancy of encouraging him not to do so. In my opinion at least Demetriou's work ethic is unimpeachable and his courage is indomitable. I very much doubt that Mickey's shirt is ever dry when he leaves the pitch.
And I struggle to find anything remotely insulting to supporters in what Demetriou had to say to the Argus. It seemed to me that he was pointing out that 28 games (now 29) was more likely to be representative of a squad's standing relative to the other squads in their league than any smaller sequence of results is likely to be, wherever that smaller sequence occurs in the season. And that since, at more then halfway through the season, we are 6th we shouldn't be too despondent, recent poor desplays notwithstanding.
Isn't what D is saying just common sense based on a truth about a statistical inference? It's just a fact that form is likely to fluctuate through the season. Try not to despair about it!
Seems innocuous enough to me.

DorsetExile wrote:I have been a supporter for over 60 years and I'm a regular reader of the message board even though I haven't previously been motivated to contribute. But Stan Einstein's open letter to Mickey Demetriou has forced me out of hiding.
The first thing that struck me about the letter was the unliklihood of Demetriou ever shaming the shirt and thus the redundancy of encouraging him not to do so. In my opinion at least Demetriou's work ethic is unimpeachable and his courage is indomitable. I very much doubt that Mickey's shirt is ever dry when he leaves the pitch.
And I struggle to find anything remotely insulting to supporters in what Demetriou had to say to the Argus. It seemed to me that he was pointing out that 28 games (now 29) was more likely to be representative of a squad's standing relative to the other squads in their league than any smaller sequence of results is likely to be, wherever that smaller sequence occurs in the season. And that since, at more then halfway through the season, we are 6th we shouldn't be too despondent, recent poor desplays notwithstanding.
Isn't what D is saying just common sense based on a truth about a statistical inference? It's just a fact that form is likely to fluctuate through the season. Try not to despair about it!
First of all welcome. People who actually argue rather than rant are should post more. Three points.
Firstly I wasn't suggesting Demetriou has ever or would ever shame the shirt. The you was a general one. I don't think anyone reading the letter would have read it any other way but I'm happy to clear that up.
Secondly, I tire of listening to what in effect is lazy journalism. I suspect there is a stock response and whichever County player had that day been 'speaking' in the Argus would have 'said' exactly the same. When was the last time you heard any player who has signed for any club say anything other than 'I've really excited to sign for Clogthorpe Rovers, I had other offers but the gaffer really impressed me with how the club is looking to progress'? Sorry but after well over 50 years of reading such platitudes, I simply can't take this twaddle anymore.
However the main thrust is that one win in twelve is not a blip. And those fans who pay the wages of the players deserve better. Rather than tell us what they are going to do, far better to actually do it.
Today we are at home. I know the pitch is crap. I know this hampers the team. But rather than moan I believe the County team and management would be better deployed shrugging their shoulders and just getting on with.
You see once you have an excuse to an extent you abrogate responsibility. We are on a bad run because the pitch is shite. Well guess what, remember the last great escape? The pitch was shite then also.
I look forward, now you have broken the ice, to reading more of your views.

DorsetExile wrote:I have been a supporter for over 60 years and I'm a regular reader of the message board even though I haven't previously been motivated to contribute. But Stan Einstein's open letter to Mickey Demetriou has forced me out of hiding.
Nicely put.

Welcome Dorset Exile , I hope your first paddle in the murky waters of the message board is not your last. I’ve already aired my views above so won’t repeat them now. Suffice it to say that I am delighted that we have another contributor willing to use argument rather than throw insults, most refreshing.