Lack of Goals: Strikers or Midfield?

Many supporters have been bemoaning the fact that we lack any decent strikers this season, but is the lack of goals due to the poor service by the midfield more than the inability of the strikers to hit a barn door at two paces?

Just look at the goal drought at Liverpool. Many people would say that Liverpool has the best front line in the Premier League (Salah, Mane and Firmino), so why have they been less prolific recently? Their midfield (and defence) has been badly affected by injuries, so I guess the front three are no longer getting the service to which they're accustomed.

So is the same true at the County? Apart from the recently departed Twine, who is providing the ammunition for our strikers. Sheehan has been poor for several weeks. Who can put a decent cross into the box? Maybe we blaming the strikers when it's the midfield that's letting us down. What do you think?

Re: Lack of Goals: Strikers or Midfield?

I think the midfield in general have not been even up to the standard shown last season. Bennett seems to lose possession too easily, Labadie sems to interested in settling scores with the opposition to be of any effect and Sheehan seems a bit lost at the moment. I would almost go as far as saying that Willmott has been our best midfielder when Twine is taken out of the equation.

But that would be a ridiculous thing to say...

wattsville_boy wrote:I think the midfield in general have not been even up to the standard shown last season. Bennett seems to lose possession too easily, Labadie sems to interested in settling scores with the opposition to be of any effect and Sheehan seems a bit lost at the moment. I would almost go as far as saying that Willmott has been our best midfielder when Twine is taken out of the equation.

I agree with all of your comments apart from the absurd Wilmott comment. Labadie has been ineffective for a while now and Bennett is good but just an average defensive midfielder. The loss of Sheehan to a ban, Twine and Devitt plus our out of form strikers leaves us in a bit of a mess.

SULLY34 wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:I think the midfield in general have not been even up to the standard shown last season. Bennett seems to lose possession too easily, Labadie sems to interested in settling scores with the opposition to be of any effect and Sheehan seems a bit lost at the moment. I would almost go as far as saying that Willmott has been our best midfielder when Twine is taken out of the equation.

I agree with all of your comments apart from the absurd Wilmott comment. Labadie has been ineffective for a while now and Bennett is good but just an average defensive midfielder. The loss of Sheehan to a ban, Twine and Devitt plus our out of form strikers leaves us in a bit of a mess.
Agreed! I wonder if he will throw in the new lad into midfield tonight. Sounds like his style is similar to Sheehan but not sure how ready he is. We desperately need some creativity in midfield (and some goals from there). In my opinion Podge is the only striker that has the movement to find space in the box - would be surprised if any of the others reached double figures if they started every game(at least of the ones we've seen so far).

Collars wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:

Agreed! I wonder if he will throw in the new lad into midfield tonight. Sounds like his style is similar to Sheehan but not sure how ready he is. We desperately need some creativity in midfield (and some goals from there). In my opinion Podge is the only striker that has the movement to find space in the box - would be surprised if any of the others reached double figures if they started every game(at least of the ones we've seen so far).
Podge has to start. Why on earth he sent Devitt back and kept Proctor!

SULLY34 wrote:
Collars wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:

He hasn't sent him back please get your facts right

UPTHEPORT wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:
Collars wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:

He hasn't sent him back please get your facts right
What are the facts then squire ????????????????????????????????????????????

Wow. Joint top of the league. Until Saturday, scored in every league game (the last of the 92 clubs to have that record). Midfield 'not up to the standard shown last season'. :shock:

Jonesy3 wrote:

Wow. Joint top of the league. Until Saturday, scored in every league game (the last of the 92 clubs to have that record). Midfield 'not up to the standard shown last season'. :shock:
Jonesy opinions