Re: Lack of Goals: Strikers or Midfield?

Jonesy3 wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:I think the midfield in general have not been even up to the standard shown last season. Bennett seems to lose possession too easily, Labadie sems to interested in settling scores with the opposition to be of any effect and Sheehan seems a bit lost at the moment. I would almost go as far as saying that Willmott has been our best midfielder when Twine is taken out of the equation.

But that would be a ridiculous thing to say...
Wow. Joint top of the league. Until Saturday, scored in every league game (the last of the 92 clubs to have that record). Midfield 'not up to the standard shown last season'. :shock:
The facts as I see them is that with the profligate strikers County possess that a fair number of chances need to be created for each goal scored. And to be honest the midfield and CB's should be scoring more themselves. For my money the two wing-backs and midfield trio should be shooting from distance more in the hope that the County strikers are on hand to pounce should the shot be blocked by the opposition or fumbled by their goalkeeper. Crossing is an issue too and has been for many seasons. The approach play is usually pretty good but then the final ball is either overhit or doesn't get over the closest defender. Similar problems with corners.

I'm being hyper-critical but surely we should be expecting County players to examine their game and make some improvement over time. If the County players can't do that (and some have made little or no improvement over the years) then there can be no progression for the club.

Goalkeeping, we have two super keepers at this level.

Defensively we are very sound.

For me we need more pace from midfield, someone with a bit of creativity, not just Sheehan. Without Twine we have a laboured midfield.

I think Taylor is our best hold up option up front and Podge our best finisher. In the snatches seen last night and on Saturday, I think Scrimshaw runs around a lot but didn't seem to offer much. Owen Windsor seemed calmer on the ball with the little bit of possession he had - but let's be honest he's 19 with a lot to learn at this level.

Abrahams was excellent in the first couple of months, mainly in holding the ball up whilst we passed the thing around and got bodies forwards. The pitch going downhill made things much more difficult for us even before the loanees went back - we've been "getting by" since early November.

It's the midfield primarily for me, Twine was superb, creating goals from nothing and drawing players to him that created space for others, and although the pitch is just as responsible at home, it's unlikely (unless Sheehan is reinvented again) that we'll find a player that will have the effect he did. Yeah, I'm still not over it... I think Haynes and Shephard have in the main delivered good crosses, but we're not built to capitalise on them - I think Proctor would have done better in a long-ball team, and Devitt might have had some creativity, but they're gone too - though Taylor should resume his target man type role now he's fit again. And the strikers have missed some chances, but I wouldn't say they've been poor overall - they're suffering from lack of quality passes now too.

We need a creative midfielder who can play on a bad pitch, or someone to whack the long balls at if that's all we're going to do at home anyway, and a wing and a prayer. I'm not convinced we'd be winning at home at the moment even if the pitch was perfect and we were trying to keep in on the deck.

SULLY34 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:
Collars wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:I think the midfield in general have not been even up to the standard shown last season. Bennett seems to lose possession too easily, Labadie sems to interested in settling scores with the opposition to be of any effect and Sheehan seems a bit lost at the moment. I would almost go as far as saying that Willmott has been our best midfielder when Twine is taken out of the equation.

I agree with all of your comments apart from the absurd Wilmott comment. Labadie has been ineffective for a while now and Bennett is good but just an average defensive midfielder. The loss of Sheehan to a ban, Twine and Devitt plus our out of form strikers leaves us in a bit of a mess.
Agreed! I wonder if he will throw in the new lad into midfield tonight. Sounds like his style is similar to Sheehan but not sure how ready he is. We desperately need some creativity in midfield (and some goals from there). In my opinion Podge is the only striker that has the movement to find space in the box - would be surprised if any of the others reached double figures if they started every game(at least of the ones we've seen so far).
Podge has to start. Why on earth he sent Devitt back and kept Proctor!
He hasn't sent him back please get your facts right
What are the facts then squire ????????????????????????????????????????????
Devitt was recalled and then transferred

UPTHEPORT wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:
Collars wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:

I agree with all of your comments apart from the absurd Wilmott comment. Labadie has been ineffective for a while now and Bennett is good but just an average defensive midfielder. The loss of Sheehan to a ban, Twine and Devitt plus our out of form strikers leaves us in a bit of a mess.
Agreed! I wonder if he will throw in the new lad into midfield tonight. Sounds like his style is similar to Sheehan but not sure how ready he is. We desperately need some creativity in midfield (and some goals from there). In my opinion Podge is the only striker that has the movement to find space in the box - would be surprised if any of the others reached double figures if they started every game(at least of the ones we've seen so far).
Loan ended, if Flynn wanted him he'd have attempted to keep him. He didnt rate him

SULLY34 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:
Collars wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:

Loan ended, if Flynn wanted him he'd have attempted to keep him. He didnt rate him
No he was recalled

UPTHEPORT wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:
Collars wrote:
SULLY34 wrote:

No he was recalled
It was the end date of his loan deal, wasnt recalled early and Flynn didnt play him.

The Cheltenham game ,we had Podge and Scrimshaw tracking back too deep.They were sometimes on the edge of our box,clearing the ball to where they should have been.Let’s leave them up,Scrimshaw assisted the goal by chasing the ball down,had one shot on the turn that was close,held off his marker forcing Tozer to trip him and get booked.Let him do his chasing in offensive areas not defensive.