Is it time?

I have long believed that the National League should be incorporated into the EFL as League 3 with four up, four down promotion and relegation. When I say long believed It was Alliance and Division 4 when the thought first struck me.

As always I would be interested in the views of others.

Re: Is it time?

Yes totally agree, but I think other changes by the time the next PL TV rights deal is due will force other changes. I can see -

The top 12 PL teams joining a UEFA league permanently.
The remaining PL teams plus the Championship teams forming 2 'elite' leagues with Celtic and Rangers included.
League 1 being the pinnacle for most clubs like County and being a national League.
League 2 and the NL Premier becoming 2 North/South regionalised leagues with the former PL U23 sides permitted.

What is really like to see though is the return of the Home Nations tournament every summer.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Yes totally agree, but I think other changes by the time the next PL TV rights deal is due will force other changes. I can see -

The top 12 PL teams joining a UEFA league permanently.
The remaining PL teams plus the Championship teams forming 2 'elite' leagues with Celtic and Rangers included.
League 1 being the pinnacle for most clubs like County and being a national League.
League 2 and the NL Premier becoming 2 North/South regionalised leagues with the former PL U23 sides permitted.

What is really like to see though is the return of the Home Nations tournament every summer.
None of that is very likely very soon as too many people/teams/organisations against it and in my view it would kill football. I for one wouldn't be interested in any of that.

And I wouldn't like to see a north south division 3 either.

]
None of that is very likely very soon as too many people/teams/organisations against it and in my view it would kill football. I for one wouldn't be interested in any of that.

And I wouldn't like to see a north south division 3 either.[/quote]

I believe the TV companies and PL accountants will dictate what happens, not clubs and fans. The top 4 have been in 'secret' discussions with EU clubs for a while now. It'll happen.

I am in favour of regionalising the bottom tier of pro football as it will cut costs for clubs and fans, see regular local derbies and increase interest. While I know I'm in a minority over this, I would welcome PL U23 teams playing within our league structure as I think it will be good for youth development and help the international sides.
Last edited by DeePeeNCAFC on January 16th, 2021, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you incorporate them, where will it stop? What about Alliance North and South as well. I do think we need to keep it a bit ‘exclusive’ as we had to try for nearly 25 years to get back in it. It is the Holy Grail. Not sure I like the idea of north and south either. Reeks of regionalism to me. One league will probably become better and stronger than the other. It’s a no from me there.

I do think though that changes will be forced on the EFL by the money men. A European super league will happen sooner or later. The big clubs will be off. How do we fight that? Get in first I would suggest. I think the slightly smaller Premier clubs (West Ham, VIlla, Palace, Everton etc) should tout the idea of a British League incorporating Rangers, Celtic and the top Welsh club at that time. That could even be us. Fancifull? We were above Cardiff, Swansea and the Goggs a few decades ago.

What the efl should not do is sit back and let things happen without major input as they did with the formation of the Premiership 29 years ago. Change will happen, it’s how we deal with it that matters.

On the original thread question, if it happened, the difference might go unnoticed by most clubs. I'd add in a rearrangement to 20 clubs in each of five division although the PL could go to 18, making 98 in total. Six extra clubs in the EFL. Wouldn't want a regional split.
On the other suggestion of a European league, I can't see 12 clubs wanting to participate, as six or more of them would be in the second tier, some maybe forever.