Re: Swindon recall Twine

Exile 1976 wrote:Was always going to happen. Whether it is to play him or to try and move him on for a fee, absolute class player at this level and he will do well higher up the pyramid too.
Pause for a moment. I agree with you entirely. If you loan a player who turns out to be any good he gets recalled. Think of all the shite players whose wages we have paid before concluding there is any economic benefits. Further Twine only had 12 months left on his Swindon contract. Clearly he did not fit into their plans at the start of the season. County developed the player and Swindon got a shot to nothing. Without a loan system County could well have picked up Twine on a free in September.

Anyone still believing the loan system is of a benefit to Newport County is bonkers.

I’m with Stan on this. You are always at the mercy of the lender if the loanee turns out to be able to make the step up. Additionally you are helping to finance a system where richer clubs mop up all the prospects and leave others to part finance their wages and development while they pocket any fees. If Swindon have enough players in his position they’ll now sell Twine on at their leisure after we’ve helped to make him worth the fee. Meanwhile we are disrupted and must look about for a replacement mid season.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Was always going to happen. Whether it is to play him or to try and move him on for a fee, absolute class player at this level and he will do well higher up the pyramid too.
Pause for a moment. I agree with you entirely. If you loan a player who turns out to be any good he gets recalled. Think of all the shite players whose wages we have paid before concluding there is any economic benefits. Further Twine only had 12 months left on his Swindon contract. Clearly he did not fit into their plans at the start of the season. County developed the player and Swindon got a shot to nothing. Without a loan system County could well have picked up Twine on a free in September.

Anyone still believing the loan system is of a benefit to Newport County is bonkers.
Michael Flynn believes it's very important to us

The difficulty is there aren't many better ways to get players like Twine in the squad.

If we follow the message board logic, we say no to Twine in the summer, and he goes on to shine for Cheltenham / FGR etc.

We end up stuck with Collins, Mo Touray, or any other random free agent of little quality. And the MB complains about MF's poor transfer business
Last edited by landinho on January 1st, 2021, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't like the loan system, never have. We have I think seven loan players, most never in the starting eleven and is waste of money. Some not as good as the youngsters we let go rather than develop them. If we have to have a loan player system then restrict it to two. I wonder how many youngsters the likes of Cardiff Swansea and the Bristol clubs would take on if the loan system wasn't in use

Stan A. Einstein wrote:. Further Twine only had 12 months left on his Swindon contract. Clearly he did not fit into their plans at the start of the season. County developed the player and Swindon got a shot to nothing. .
I thought I read a quote from Swindon assistant manager saying Twine's contract there ends this summer. If so, they have 2 choices - sell him now to the highest bidder or use him in their first team: if he does well offer him an extended deal, if not then they have a real decision on their hands as he'll leave for free in the summer. If I was MF I'd be asking the board for £150K to put in a bid. But if I was the board, in the current climate, I'd probably tell MF 'no, sorry'.

I'm reasonably certain a bigger club have sounded him out and are ready to offer Swindon some money. Possibly Brentford to replace their long-term midfield absentee Shandon Baptiste.