Re: Stats

George Street-Bridge wrote:I don't know if they do the ones the BBC uses, but a firm called Opta does insanely detailed stats for every game in the league. If you want to know who completed most left-footed passes longer than 20 metres in October, someone could probably tell you.
That's why I'm asking do they have a person at every game doing the stats or does someone from home club do them

Sourav Chatterjee, PhD. Data Scientist.
They are collected manually, by people who slave away, dragging the mouse to relevant positions. Here is a fascinating story behind the people who collect some of these statistics.
The People Tracking Every Touch, Pass And Tackle in the World Cup
To quote directly for the story,
"But most of the work is logging routine passes. Opta’s analysts log each one by dragging and clicking a mouse at the spot where the pass was received, then keying in the player who received it. Their monitors have an image of a soccer pitch in the background with video of the live match superimposed on top."

Only one stat that counts and that is on the scoreboard; ie goals for and goals against.
Ideally to have more for than against.

You can have 99% possession, but no good if you don’t stick the ball in the net and the opponent puts it in with their 1%.

That’s why I don’t pay much attention to them. IMO.

But if others derive pleasure and knowledge from it than crack on.