Grandstand: Salford v Exiles

Tuesday 15th December.
Salford City v Newport County.

The clubs have met only three times previously.

2019 / 2020:
Newport County 1-2 Salford City.
A first ever meeting between the clubs in what was Salfords debut season as an EFL club. Cameron Burgess scored from a corner for The Ammies about five minutes before the break. County were level during injury time after Nathan Pond netted an OG. Lois Maynard regained the Ammies lead in the fifty fourth minute. Salford goalkeeper Mark Howard saved a penalty from Tristan Abraham's with around ten minutes remaining.

Leasing Trophy Semi Final.
Newport County 0-0 Salford City.
Salford won 6-5 via penalty shootout.
Abraham's and Innis failed to convert their kicks for County.

2020 / 2021:
FA Cup R2.
Newport County 3-0 Salford City.
After a goalless first half in which Mickey Demetriou failed to convert a penalty, Salford's Brandon Thomas-Asante was sent off within two minutes of the second half for a dangerous tackle on goalkeeper Tom King. It was all one way from then on with a first goal for the club from Jamie Proctor followed by a penalty from Padraig Amond and Saikou Janneh completed the scoring during injury time.

Only two players come to mind who've had connections with both Newport County and Salford City.

Kyle Letheren - currently with Chesterfield.
Momodou Touray - back with Salford after a short loan spell with Marine FC.

Managers:
Salford City - Richie Wellens
Newport County - Mike Flynn

Head to head:
Wellens 1
Flynn 3
Draws 1

The five occasions both managers have met as opposing managers thus far:
Swindon Town 2-1 Newport County
Newport County 0-0 Swindon Town
Swindon Town 0-2 Newport County
Newport County 2-0 Swindon Town
Newport County 3-0 Salford City

Re: Grandstand: Salford v Exiles

A point from this game will still see us top of the League with 4 of the next 5 league games at home. Interspersed with our well deserved cash injection from the FA cup of course. Even a no-score bore draw would be fine from my point of view.
Not that I'm suggesting that we shouldn't aspire to win the game, but is it the right time to take a less attacking and more pragmatic approach?
Guessing that the team selection/formation tomorrow will give us a clue. Happy that there won't be any crowd at the game.

Percy plunkett wrote:Wellens made disparaging remarks about our promotion credentials after the cup victory,Flynny should pin up his statement for the players to see to inspire them on and do his team talk for him.
I see your point. However the converse may also be true, from Wellens' point of view, I tried to wind them up, seems like I succeeded.

Blackandamber wrote:
lowandhard wrote:
faerun exile wrote:No Labs tonight - just bumped into him at my GPs.
Did he have a white coat on or was he a patient? :grin:
And was it a labs coat? :wink:
Oh my sides LOL. Bigger up close than I thought he’d be - quite a unit. Hope nothing too serious wrong with him - scan maybe. Always think we are better with him in the team.