Re: New player?

Countymadbell wrote:What position and what sort of player do you think Mike's after to hopefully be the final piece to push us on to promotion. Think we need a midfielder who can score 10 / 15 goals would be great. Thoughts. ....
With current COVID developments and potentially no crowds until March it would be reckless to increase the wage further in my opinion. All clubs in same boat.

County ranger wrote:
Countymadbell wrote:What position and what sort of player do you think Mike's after to hopefully be the final piece to push us on to promotion. Think we need a midfielder who can score 10 / 15 goals would be great. Thoughts. ....
With current COVID developments and potentially no crowds until March it would be reckless to increase the wage further in my opinion. All clubs in same boat.
Interesting article on BBC Radio Four's World at One today about how close some/many/all League 1&2 clubs are to a financial cliff edge. Let's not kid ourselves if a few clubs go, and they might, the system collapses. I'm still of the view that League season 2020/21 should have be cancelled.

Just caught the end of an item on BBC news channel. Greg Dyke talking about the financial difficulties of lower league clubs. He somehow managed to use the demise of Bury as an example. You'd think he would be aware the Bury situation was due to mismanagement of available funds, not the lack of income through the turnstiles. They could have survived as a League Two club.

CM is where we are likely to need a player.Having said that,we have Josh,Joss,Benno and Twine fighting for three spots.Dolan can obviously slot in there,Robbie will be used there if we don’t play with a wide man.Woodiwiss could make a good DM then there is Sonny Lewis,if he is good enough then he is old enough,Flynny said age shouldn’t matter.Unless there is a player who will challenge for a start then I would say don’t bother,we don’t want another Charlie Cooper or Taylor Maloney.

Percy plunkett wrote:CM is where we are likely to need a player.Having said that,we have Josh,Joss,Benno and Twine fighting for three spots.Dolan can obviously slot in there,Robbie will be used there if we don’t play with a wide man.Woodiwiss could make a good DM then there is Sonny Lewis,if he is good enough then he is old enough,Flynny said age shouldn’t matter.Unless there is a player who will challenge for a start then I would say don’t bother,we don’t want another Charlie Cooper or Taylor Maloney.
Sonny wont feature outside of the EFL Trophy, he showed he wasn't quite there at the last game.

Willthiswork wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:CM is where we are likely to need a player.Having said that,we have Josh,Joss,Benno and Twine fighting for three spots.Dolan can obviously slot in there,Robbie will be used there if we don’t play with a wide man.Woodiwiss could make a good DM then there is Sonny Lewis,if he is good enough then he is old enough,Flynny said age shouldn’t matter.Unless there is a player who will challenge for a start then I would say don’t bother,we don’t want another Charlie Cooper or Taylor Maloney.
Sonny wont feature outside of the EFL Trophy, he showed he wasn't quite there at the last game.
If that were the case then,it still leaves us with seven options for three spots so,unless there is a player who can pressure Labs or Benno for a start then I wouldn’t sign anyone.

Realistically Percy I'd say we only have 4 serious options there in Sheehan, Benno, Labadie and Twine. One injury and a suspension for Labadie or Sheehan would leave us well short.

Can't see signing anyone else right now would be prudent. Summer recruitment has been good and there is a stronger squad than for many seasons. I'm assuming Big Kev has been helping with the coaching as the goals and all round attacking play seem very good.

Keep costs down, don't be afraid to use one of the younger lads on the bench and, if the very good current form continues, maybe look to strengthen in January ready for a promotion push.

Well done MF and everyone.

Sonny played against my son for their school teams last season, he wasn't even the stand out player in that game and looked out of his depth in his efl trophy appearance