Re: Newcastle

pembsexile wrote:I don’t think we will hear much about this game from Newcastle until after their game today.

I suspect they will put out a mixture of regulars and a few younger ones to give them a chance. Their bench players will probably all be regulars.

Will they want to send many first team regulars to a city in lockdown with Covid ???

neilcork68 wrote:
pembsexile wrote:I don’t think we will hear much about this game from Newcastle until after their game today.

I suspect they will put out a mixture of regulars and a few younger ones to give them a chance. Their bench players will probably all be regulars.

Will they want to send many first team regulars to a city in lockdown with Covid ???
That’s a good point. COVID affects every game, I keep forgetting that.

pembsexile wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:

Yes, an extra level of security for their 'first team bubble'.

pembsexile wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:

Neil, Mike, Morning,

Have to disagree with you both. I don't think Covid will not make a blind bit of difference to Newcastle for this game.

I have been watching football for well over 50 years. Newcastle are a big club but other than the Inter Cities Fairs Cup in 1969 Newcastle have not lifted a trophy. This competition offers them a realistic opportunity to actually win something. Newport away is a nasty little draw for the Magpies. I think that they will bring their strongest side, or close to it. And plan to make the game safe by half time, bring on their subs and ease down.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:

Neil, Mike, Morning,

Have to disagree with you both. I don't think Covid will not make a blind bit of difference to Newcastle for this game.

I have been watching football for well over 50 years. Newcastle are a big club but other than the Inter Cities Fairs Cup in 1969 Newcastle have not lifted a trophy. This competition offers them a realistic opportunity to actually win something. Newport away is a nasty little draw for the Magpies. I think that they will bring their strongest side, or close to it. And plan to make the game safe by half time, bring on their subs and ease down.
Morning Brendan,

What you say is tactical, Covid has an affect on everything is society at the moment, football included. It certainly made a difference to the Orient Spurs game.

Yes, Newcastle could do with a trophy. A definite nasty little draw for them. How Bruce approaches it will be interesting. I can’t wait for his first comments.

Orient v Spurs, what, a distance of 15/20 miles tops. Newcastle to S Wales, hundreds, with a possible stop over. COVID will definitely make a difference to his plans. His priority will be Premier League survival, not a nasty little trip to S Wales that he could do without.

The problem I have is that when the game starts, I will have to wait for others people comments as I have no idea what his preferred starting eleven is. Just reckon it will not be the same as their game today. I will make a note of their team. Interesting, I wonder which one of us will be right. Me probably. :cheers: :grin: We’ll see.

In fairness to the Toon he played a first team against Morecambe but that was probably in response to their Premiership hammering before that. He couldn’t afford to go out against them. That was just a little cross country jaunt, this will be an autumn mini marathon that he could do without.

I just think COVID and the trek here will have an affect. Cmon the County.

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:

Neil, Mike, Morning,

Morning Brendan,

What you say is tactical, Covid has an affect on everything is society at the moment, football included. It certainly made a difference to the Orient Spurs game.

Yes, Newcastle could do with a trophy. A definite nasty little draw for them. How Bruce approaches it will be interesting. I can’t wait for his first comments.

Orient v Spurs, what, a distance of 15/20 miles tops. Newcastle to S Wales, hundreds, with a possible stop over. COVID will definitely make a difference to his plans. His priority will be Premier League survival, not a nasty little trip to S Wales that he could do without.

The problem I have is that when the game starts, I will have to wait for others people comments as I have no idea what his preferred starting eleven is. Just reckon it will not be the same as their game today. I will make a note of their team. Interesting, I wonder which one of us will be right. Me probably. :cheers: :grin: We’ll see.

In fairness to the Toon he played a first team against Morecambe but that was probably in response to their Premiership hammering before that. He couldn’t afford to go out against them. That was just a little cross country jaunt, this will be an autumn mini marathon that he could do without.

Afternoon mate.
Less than an hours flight from Newcastle Airport.
No stay over involved.
Onto a coach and visa versa.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:

Neil, Mike, Morning,

Morning Brendan,

Afternoon mate.
Less than an hours flight from Newcastle Airport.
No stay over involved.
Onto a coach and visa versa.
Afternoon mate. Whatever the travel mode I still don’t think they will fancy the trip here.

Premier League clubs stay in a hotel the evening before a HOME game so I can hardly see them flying down to Cardiff or Bristol Airports on an easy jet or whatever Charter flight they may get on to, then jumping on a coach for an hour or so that they have no idea whether it is Covid safe ( clean and sanitised etc) after they have spent so much money and time making sure their players are 'SAFE' by testing them two / three times a week.
The away sides look like they are changing in a temporary marquee changing room as well by the look of it over RP. (I don't know if that's true but the away sides aren't coming out of the changing room tunnel by what I have seen on tv. They are coming to the pitch from the side of the changing room by the look of it).
Football League sides aren't obligated to have a Covid test either because I know Hull declined to have one in the last round even though West Ham offered to pay for it and they knew three members of West Ham staff were Covid positive.

The Newcastle subs bench today should give us a clue as to who 6 or 7 of their starting lineup will be on Wednesday.

neilcork68 wrote:Premier League clubs stay in a hotel the evening before a HOME game so I can hardly see them flying down to Cardiff or Bristol Airports on an easy jet or whatever Charter flight they may get on to, then jumping on a coach for an hour or so that they have no idea whether it is Covid safe ( clean and sanitised etc) after they have spent so much money and time making sure their players are 'SAFE' by testing them two / three times a week.
A club of Newcastle's resources should be able to sort that without an issue.

Middlesbrough flew down and back for the FA Cup game, I remember tracking their flight from Teesside to Rhoose on Flightradar. They chartered a plane, as I'm sure Newcastle would. Pretty sure it was a day trip.

neilcork68 wrote:Premier League clubs stay in a hotel the evening before a HOME game so I can hardly see them flying down to Cardiff or Bristol Airports on an easy jet or whatever Charter flight they may get on to, then jumping on a coach for an hour or so that they have no idea whether it is Covid safe ( clean and sanitised etc) after they have spent so much money and time making sure their players are 'SAFE' by testing them two / three times a week.
The away sides look like they are changing in a temporary marquee changing room as well by the look of it over RP. (I don't know if that's true but the away sides aren't coming out of the changing room tunnel by what I have seen on tv. They are coming to the pitch from the side of the changing room by the look of it).
Football League sides aren't obligated to have a Covid test either because I know Hull declined to have one in the last round even though West Ham offered to pay for it and they knew three members of West Ham staff were Covid positive.
We are talking Newcastle hear not us paupers.
No easy Jet but charter own aircraft.
Club coach and spare driver come down regardless and meet team at Airport , visa versa and then drive back empty.
Simple.
No covid worries at all.

Middlesborough were just relegated from the Premier League last year when we played them , the flew down on a normal Newcastle to Cardiff flight and hired a local coach company to pick them up from the airport and bring them too and from the airport to RP.
Can you see Mike Ashley letting them hire their own plane for a game against us that on paper their under 23's should win when there is no prize money on offer ???

George Street-Bridge wrote:Middlesbrough flew down and back for the FA Cup game, I remember tracking their flight from Teesside to Rhoose on Flightradar. They chartered a plane, as I'm sure Newcastle would. Pretty sure it was a day trip.

It wasnt a chartered flight made by Middlesbrough it was a normal flight