Re: Ellison

Stan A. Einstein wrote:The thing about opinions is that they are just that, opinions.

It is perfectly valid to argue that at 41 Ellison is too old. It is perfectly valid to argue that if he is fit he could be a tremendous short term acquisition. Time will tell.

Personally, and this is just my opinion. This signing is crazy. That does not mean that I don't wish Kevin Ellison all the best, I do. This does not mean I won't be delighted if I am proved wrong. I will.

But if you want a slightly overweight character who is knocking on a bit to play up front for County, I'll do it for free.
I honestly don't think Ellison has been signed to play many games for County. I believe he's in Newport to do his badges and get some hands-on experience coaching the strikers. He may be on the bench for the paintpot Trophy games but I'm not expecting him to figure in other squads unless there's an injury crisis...

While Kev is 41 he was one of the fittest players in training and when playing he always gave his all, as he will do for you. One of his strengths was talking to the younger players in a match and getting them to learn their positions, saying that, time catches up so a coaching position would be ideal. Good luck Kev.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:The thing about opinions is that they are just that, opinions.

It is perfectly valid to argue that at 41 Ellison is too old. It is perfectly valid to argue that if he is fit he could be a tremendous short term acquisition. Time will tell.

Personally, and this is just my opinion. This signing is crazy. That does not mean that I don't wish Kevin Ellison all the best, I do. This does not mean I won't be delighted if I am proved wrong. I will.

But if you want a slightly overweight character who is knocking on a bit to play up front for County, I'll do it for free.
You'd be good at headers

Don't know if Ellison is the oldest, but both Jarman and Preece were younger than that when they played for us.

Ellison is certainly the oldest since we got back into the EFL. Prior to Ellison I think Flynn was the oldest to appear for us in the EFL and so might well have been our oldest scorer.

My memory goes back to the "Polly" Rowland era, but even he was only mid 30s when he stopped playing for us (not that he scored many) ... but then at my age then every player looked "old".

Trevor Ford and/or Harry Harris might have been the previous oldest to score (late 30s when they played for us). Brian Harris, also late 30s, didn't score for us.

Which all leads me to believe you probably have to look back to players from the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s who might push Ellison for the "title".

Special branch wrote:Polly Rowland had a slightly crumpled face. He was as hard as nails and his chips were wonderful. Ellison is also really hard and long may he last. Facially I have morphed into him.
Ray Wilcox played for us until he was 48 but didn't score a single goal.

lowandhard wrote:What about Alf Sherwood our regular penalty taker back in the day? As a youngster he looked as old as Alf Garnet to me in the Cromwell End.
Sorry found some dates for him I think he must have been about 38 so Ellison still favourite

rncfc wrote:I must say, based on what I've seen this season I would be tempted to give him a few starts. He looks more likely to create and/or score than many others in my eyes. Don't care how old he is.
Yes, the five subs rule means we could start him with instructions to go all-out for the first half or even quarter, then make a change.

Perhaps we could make deliberate use of the half time substitute allowance to save a fourth substitution 'event' for a late appearance by Ellison, should we still be needing a late goal. In fact, it would mean we could make a double substitution late in the game if required.