Re: The first of a few?

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:There's a remarkable allegation knocking about which suggests that the latest owners of Wigan have DELIBERATELY jeopardised the club, setting out to get points deducted so as to win a hefty bet placed in the Far East months ago which was a bet on Wigan getting relegated.

So, a bet was placed on them going down, they were down towards the bottom of the table but then hit a good run of form and started to climb the table and away from trouble. New owner (who might have placed the bet before taking over) sells up to 'someone' who can't be contacted, traced and might not exist. The funds to keep the club afloat and pay the bills stop coming in, club calls into administrators and Wigan are docked 12 points putting them back in the relegation mire. Presumably if players' wages don't get paid then they could refuse to play = further defeats = likely relegation = bet pays out.

If true, this is outrageous - how anyone can do something like this to an historic community club all in the name of a bet? There's also a short video clip circulating of league chief Rick Parry mentioning the alleged bet so things get murkier.
I have no idea as to whether this story is true or not. Speculation and rumour.

What I will say is this. I have never really understood as to why when a club goes in to administration, they are eventually docked points. Seems like a double whammy to me. I can understand the logic of the efl saying to a club that if you don’t get your financial house in order we will dock you points. I suppose they have to draw a line somewhere, but where should that line be drawn. Still a double whammy but it is a threat of action if you don’t run a sound club.

The problem arises as to when the points deduction is applied. Is it immediately after they enter administration. Is it one month, two months or even after the next efl meeting. I don’t know, I have no idea but it is open to abuse by smarter people than me, particularly those with large sums of cash.

If someone has information about efl rules as to when this points deduction should be applied I would like to know.

Aren't the points applied to cause maximum pain.

Adrift 30 points from safety? Doomed to relegation?
Then we take them off you next season.

Top of the league? Destined for promotion to the EPL by virtue of spending tens of millions you couldn't afford?
Then we take them off you this year.

It seems sensible to me.

Edit: though I've no idea if clubs can be promoted when in admin. Presumably not.

pembsexile wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:There's a remarkable allegation knocking about which suggests that the latest owners of Wigan have DELIBERATELY jeopardised the club, setting out to get points deducted so as to win a hefty bet placed in the Far East months ago which was a bet on Wigan getting relegated.

So, a bet was placed on them going down, they were down towards the bottom of the table but then hit a good run of form and started to climb the table and away from trouble. New owner (who might have placed the bet before taking over) sells up to 'someone' who can't be contacted, traced and might not exist. The funds to keep the club afloat and pay the bills stop coming in, club calls into administrators and Wigan are docked 12 points putting them back in the relegation mire. Presumably if players' wages don't get paid then they could refuse to play = further defeats = likely relegation = bet pays out.

If true, this is outrageous - how anyone can do something like this to an historic community club all in the name of a bet? There's also a short video clip circulating of league chief Rick Parry mentioning the alleged bet so things get murkier.

What I will say is this. I have never really understood as to why when a club goes in to administration, they are eventually docked points. Seems like a double whammy to me. I can understand the logic of the efl saying to a club that if you don’t get your financial house in order we will dock you points. I suppose they have to draw a line somewhere, but where should that line be drawn. Still a double whammy but it is a threat of action if you don’t run a sound club.

The problem arises as to when the points deduction is applied. Is it immediately after they enter administration. Is it one month, two months or even after the next efl meeting. I don’t know, I have no idea but it is open to abuse by smarter people than me, particularly those with large sums of cash.

If someone has information about efl rules as to when this points deduction should be applied I would like to know.
Not sure but I think each case is looked at differently as some clubs/owners go into admin after knowing they will be relegated so EFL deduct points following season and some have done it knowing their safe so they get it that season but in all cases I’m sure everyone knows that club is in trouble this is a whole new situation that the EFL must deal with and guard against in the future

pembsexile wrote:

Not sure but I think each case is looked at differently as some clubs/owners go into admin after knowing they will be relegated so EFL deduct points following season and some have done it knowing their safe so they get it that season but in all cases I’m sure everyone knows that club is in trouble this is a whole new situation that the EFL must deal with and guard against in the future

George Street-Bridge wrote:
pembsexile wrote: If someone has information about efl rules as to when this points deduction should be applied I would like to know.
Google is your friend. Point 12.3 here:
https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ef ... he-league/
Thank you for that. I have read point 12.3.1 with interest.12 points deducted indeed.

I also note that in further chapters they talk about the timescale of the sanction being related to on or before 5pm on the 4th Thursday in March. This is interesting as it relates to procedures during the ‘normal playing season’. It is debatable as to whether we are in the ‘normal’ playing season. We are in the season obviously, but it is now July. That is most certainly not normal.

I suspect we will know more regarding Wigan position if they take up the offer of an appeal as per ch 12.3.10. If they don’t then questions need to be asked. Time will tell.

George Street-Bridge wrote:You'd like to think each case caused by unforeseen circumstances being "considered on its own merits" would trump the firmness of the date, but who knows?
Indeed, but I smell a rat. I see that Lisa Nandy the local MP has now asked serious questions. Questioning the fact that the efl passing the fit and proper persons test for the previous owners before the club changed hands recently.

I suppose she has to do that first but the serious question surrounds what Rick Parry has been recorded saying about the so called rumours.

Again, it all comes down to openness, transparency and accountability. My own take is that I despise the idea of some low life or organisation allegedly attempting to manipulate the rules for financial gain. Scum of the earth if it is true. Obviously at the present time this is unproven. Time will indeed tell.