Re: Stadium Focus Group: Next Meeting 7th DECEMBER 20:00

I truly do believe that a NCAFC owned stadium is the correct thing to pursue.

Saying that I also do believe that we need to, take stock, appraise the current situation and look to the future of a football club to play in the stadium.

Does anyone really think that asking people to donate now will be the right thing? The club currently need money and the vast majority of people, of all ages, would think that money put in to keep the club fighting for promotion, or even survival, would seem the most sensible thing.

We have had some interesting chats between ourselves in the group and have come up with some great ideas that will help the club in the short and long term as well as to ultimately assist the group in continuing its work in pursuing a stadium option for NCAFC. These conversations and ideas have been shared with the Board who are in support of our ideology and value the current positive impact we are creating.

This is not a closed door group - anyone can join or leave at anytime, all we ask is that you share ideas and thoughts that you have and be respectful of the confidence that the Board have with us.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:This group I believe was set up with the sole purpose of starting a fund to have one day our own stadium.
Reading all the posts despite the brilliant intention of the Forum originator it appears unfortunately that powers to be have now side tracked this so important cause.
Has literally any progress followed regarding the 1 purpose of setting up this group?
It appears that's not the case
In fairness I don't think that there is any mal intent from either the club or anyone within the group. And I believe also that the sentiment expressed by Willthiswork above is both honest and genuinely felt.

I just think that they are wrong. My view has always been that whenever you wish to do anything the best plan is to get on with it. As soon as you pause to take stock you inevitably see problems. I became a barrister at 40. Had I paused once in the nine years between thinking I'd like to practise law and receiving my first pay cheque to consider how much the odds were stacked against me I have no doubt I would have given up.

As is often the case with anything to do with Newport County I wish the group well and hope I am wrong.

Just a small point but if the mention of “ promotion of sales of Euro Lottery tickets “ is meant to indicate its irrelevance to a County Stadium topic then I disagree if it’s the one organised by Uptheport. Reason being that all of us who take part will donate 50% of our huge win to the building of the stadium. I’m quite willing to cut the tape on the Lowandhardandinthecorner Terrace in the Weareexiles message board Stadium :lol:

Never thought I would ever say this but I agree with Stan and Frank on this one.
We've heard all this before and whatever is or isn't happening behind the scenes this is a great moment in time to try to grab the stadium back for the city. The WRU are short of cash and the Dragons will never make it.
For me the best way forward would be for our fan groups to ally with NRFC fan groups and between us we would have the clout and money raising abilities to find the cash to do it, this wouldn't affect any plans the club have or don't but would act as a cash gathering campaign which the club could join as and when it's reached a good pile is gathered. UTC

I have left the WhatsApp group having explained my reasons to those who attended the Zoom meeting last night. I very much want a stadium as much as everyone else, but what I will say is that every County fan I have spoken to does as well.

For the foreseeable, I am focusing my efforts elsewhere in trying to help the Trust so that the discussion regarding a stadium will hopefully become a live debate in the future.

The group is very much open to continuing the debate and I would welcome it. Despite having almost 25 members within the group only about a fifth of that group attended the meetings over the last couple of months. In my opinion, we should all be helping the Club in whatever way we can with ideas and projects in order to help keep progressing and pushing it forward.

Mr Figo wrote:I have left the WhatsApp group having explained my reasons to those who attended the Zoom meeting last night. I very much want a stadium as much as everyone else, but what I will say is that every County fan I have spoken to does as well.
No criticism of yourself or your decision.

A simple question. I agree entirely when you say every County fan you have spoken to wants a stadium. That is my experience too. In the last 32 years Newport County have had a score at least of chairmen and hundreds of directors. I have never yet heard one single one of their number publicly state that we need a stadium. Has anybody?

And that is why I have been and remain critical of those who have or have had charge of our club. And this is not because they are bad people. It is because none have ever had the vision to see beyond the day to day problems.

It all depends on what and how you measure ‘progress’?

If progress is an actual blueprint for a new stadium, then (in the last 6(?) months) we have made no progress.

If progress is building steps to get to a position where it can be discussed further then we have made some great and positive strides.

We have a group of supporters with various skillsets and influences – can YOU add to this? Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be that much enthusiasm to actually discuss a new stadium at the moment from some – perhaps that is because of the current situation with the global pandemic and the pointless fundraising that really can’t be put into action at this current time? The meetings that are held are poorly attended, only about 1/5 of the group, even when it is ‘advertised’ on this board there is little enthusiasm shown.

How long have people (on this board alone) been talking about a stadium for NCAFC? What progress was made?

In the short time that the group has been together we have gained the trust of the BoD and have put in some good ideas to help support the Supporters Trust. These ideas are all stepping stones that will, eventually, help in our end goal of a stadium for NCAFC.

The group has looked at different models of stadiums, different funding options, spoke to the BoD (on regular occasions) and have a better understanding of how things can be done and why things aren’t done. It isn’t as simple as people think, if anyone has a gratis plot of land in/around Newport please let us know.

There are some on this board who seem to just want to criticise the BoD and the vision for a sustainable league football club. If you want to get involved and make sure that your input isn’t ‘dead in the water’, then join the group, put your twopenneth worth in – be there and get that t-shirt.

All this takes time – remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day!

Willthiswork wrote:It all depends on what and how you measure ‘progress’?

If progress is an actual blueprint for a new stadium, then (in the last 6(?) months) we have made no progress.

If progress is building steps to get to a position where it can be discussed further then we have made some great and positive strides.

We have a group of supporters with various skillsets and influences – can YOU add to this? Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be that much enthusiasm to actually discuss a new stadium at the moment from some – perhaps that is because of the current situation with the global pandemic and the pointless fundraising that really can’t be put into action at this current time? The meetings that are held are poorly attended, only about 1/5 of the group, even when it is ‘advertised’ on this board there is little enthusiasm shown.

How long have people (on this board alone) been talking about a stadium for NCAFC? What progress was made?

In the short time that the group has been together we have gained the trust of the BoD and have put in some good ideas to help support the Supporters Trust. These ideas are all stepping stones that will, eventually, help in our end goal of a stadium for NCAFC.

The group has looked at different models of stadiums, different funding options, spoke to the BoD (on regular occasions) and have a better understanding of how things can be done and why things aren’t done. It isn’t as simple as people think, if anyone has a gratis plot of land in/around Newport please let us know.

There are some on this board who seem to just want to criticise the BoD and the vision for a sustainable league football club. If you want to get involved and make sure that your input isn’t ‘dead in the water’, then join the group, put your twopenneth worth in – be there and get that t-shirt.

All this takes time – remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day!
Sorry but you mention no progress in the last 6 months.
There has been no progress whatsoever since we moved back to RP.
Like I said its totally dead in the water.
A pointless exercise where the few of you can have a chat albeit why bother.
Nobody at the club has any vision of our own ground.
What seems to have happened is that you have all been roped in to assist further revenue raising for the club, nothing wrong with that.
the reason there has been a poor response is because 99% of us out here know its a total waste of time.
seriously the only way we will ever get our own ground is via a lottery winner.
Not the Council, not any of us.
Just a bit of advice I would knock it on the head now as nothing will come of Mr Figo;s original hopes.
sorry but thats how I see it.

The Wolf wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Seriously the only way we will have our own stadium fit for purpose is if one of us wins the big one.
Simple

You're entitle to your opinion and I respect that. Just hold on to that dream. You never know what's around the corner or who is around that corner.
One question I have asked over and over again but has never been answered it is this.

If virtually every town and city the size of Newport and many towns far smaller than Newport have been able to develop a fit for purpose stadium then why can't we?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
The Wolf wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Seriously the only way we will have our own stadium fit for purpose is if one of us wins the big one.
Simple

You're entitle to your opinion and I respect that. Just hold on to that dream. You never know what's around the corner or who is around that corner.
One question I have asked over and over again but has never been answered it is this.

If virtually every town and city the size of Newport and many towns far smaller than Newport have been able to develop a fit for purpose stadium then why can't we?
In these difficult times I can’t see the following dream being fulfilled and I’m afraid austerity has killed it but I yearned for the following.
That, a brave coalition of local politicians put it to the populace that a local tax ( or rate rise ) be made to raise the money necessary to service a loan to upgrade all civic amenities including a built for purpose stadium. It would be wonderful for locals to be proud of their city and that they had helped build it. By all means bring in all parties, businesses and agencies that could help.

The Wolf wrote:
lowandhard wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
The Wolf wrote:
Simple

In these difficult times I can’t see the following dream being fulfilled and I’m afraid austerity has killed it but I yearned for the following.
That, a brave coalition of local politicians put it to the populace that a local tax ( or rate rise ) be made to raise the money necessary to service a loan to upgrade all civic amenities including a built for purpose stadium. It would be wonderful for locals to be proud of their city and that they had helped build it. By all means bring in all parties, businesses and agencies that could help.

We are not asking the right Questions. Here's one Question we should be asking. How much would it cost to buy Rodney Parade from the wru?
To which the reply would be, as a development site or sports ground? The WRU I suspect have eyes on the former.

The Wolf wrote:
Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
The Wolf wrote:
lowandhard wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
The Wolf wrote:
Simple

We are not asking the right Questions. Here's one Question we should be asking. How much would it cost to buy Rodney Parade from the wru?
To which the reply would be, as a development site or sports ground? The WRU I suspect have eyes on the former.
My answer to you would be always as a sports ground. And then later on redevelop the stadium and the surrounding area into a sports complex (Football/Rugby Ground) and shopping area, that is what I would do. The trouble is people just can not see what's in front of them. I can see lot's of potential in the site.
I don’t disagree with anything you say, however the problem is the WRU.
As far as they are concerned the ground was acquired at undervalue and they intend to maximise that piece of good fortune. In the first instance the ‘cabbage patch’ will be developed by conning the Council with the promise of RP ground improvements.
The second more difficult phase will be when they fold the Dragons or move them, then they will look to sell RP for further development (eg Somerton) with an offer to build a new stadium elsewhere (eg Spytty).