Re: The Retained and Released list is out

As expected. For all League 2 clubs, next season (if it happens) is going to consist of currently signed players with youth/loans making up the numbers, with everyone else on the dole (1,400 players out of contract across the lower leagues, according to the Argus!)

The big question is how financially secure we're going to be. I think people fretting about where we'll finish in the league are premature, as most clubs will be in the same boat. More concerning should be the absolutely gigantic gulf in quality that will emerge between the top two tiers and everybody else - if it never closes again everything below the Championship will feel like non-league oblivion
Last edited by halfmoon on June 22nd, 2020, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ulkraineinthebahrain wrote:Is there a chance we can could resign them once this is all over? If they don't get snapped up....Can't see Matt being without a club for long (A top scorer in our cup run season..a bigger L2 take a punt on him)
They will be free agents once their contracts expire and as such the transfer window, which some expect to run into October this year, will not apply to them.

Looks like the club are endeavouring to save money by not paying/renewing out of contract players.
A lot of clubs will be doing the same.
The club could still resign them with new contracts as and when any new season/transfer window allows.
This is also assuming that any out of contract player is prepared to come back or has not been signed by another club.

Exile 1976 wrote:So, as it stands :-

King
Townsend
Baker
Demetriou
Ekpiteta
Haynes
Howkins
Leadbitter (for what it’s worth)
Dolan
Labadie
Sheehan
Abrahams
Azeez
Whitely
Willmott
Amond
Collins

Plus a few scholars.
Considering the circumstances, and that other clubs are doing the same, this seems like a perfectly serviceable squad to me. Lots of other clubs seem to have released far more first-teamers than us, from what I've seen.

King
Townsend
Baker
Demetriou
Ekpiteta
Haynes
Howkins
Dolan
Labadie
Sheehan
Abrahams
Azeez
Whitely
Willmott
Amond
Collins

Plus a few scholars.
Look at those players. How many would you retain if they were not on two year contracts? Would you retain them ahead of Scott Bennett?

Phil Crump believes I am disgusting because I believe Covid19 is being used as a cover. I don't care. The truth is County handed out 2 year contracts like confetti and that policy has reared up and sunk it's fangs into a very fat arse.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

King
Townsend
Baker
Demetriou
Ekpiteta
Haynes
Howkins
Dolan
Labadie
Sheehan
Abrahams
Azeez
Whitely
Willmott
Amond
Collins

Plus a few scholars.
Look at those players. How many would you retain if they were not on two year contracts? Would you retain them ahead of Scott Bennett?

Phil Crump believes I am disgusting because I believe Covid19 is being used as a cover. I don't care. The truth is County handed out 2 year contracts like confetti and that policy has reared up and sunk it's fangs into a very fat arse.
The reality is, if it wasn't for those 2-year contracts we'd probably be fielding a bunch of 17 year-olds next year (which may or may not be better, depending on your opinion, I suppose)

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

King
Townsend
Baker
Demetriou
Ekpiteta
Haynes
Howkins
Dolan
Labadie
Sheehan
Abrahams
Azeez
Whitely
Willmott
Amond
Collins

Plus a few scholars.

I think we need to give a couple of them a decent chance. Ekpiteta never got given enough time and neither did Whitely. Both went out on loan too early in my opinion. I would take Benno back in a flash. Brilliant player and my player of the season.