Re: Macclesfield

Well, I thought when the EFL gave them a seven point deduction a few weeks ago, it was to tidy up the loose ends after the season was effectively finished (other than maybe playoffs). Sounds like they may have unearthed further murky dealings. Apparently their Supporters Trust loaned the club £10,000 to pay some players a short while ago, April's wages when the final deadline (mid May) came along. I read on their forum that the money transfer was made 15 minutes before the clock ticked away. Apparently May's wages have been paid, which seems miraculous. It appears that the current issue goes back to March. What a mess. It would need a six point penalty to take them below Stevenage after a PPG adjustment is made.

excessbee wrote:Well, I thought when the EFL gave them a seven point deduction a few weeks ago, it was to tidy up the loose ends after the season was effectively finished (other than maybe playoffs). Sounds like they may have unearthed further murky dealings. Apparently their Supporters Trust loaned the club £10,000 to pay some players a short while ago, April's wages when the final deadline (mid May) came along. I read on their forum that the money transfer was made 15 minutes before the clock ticked away. Apparently May's wages have been paid, which seems miraculous. It appears that the current issue goes back to March. What a mess. It would need a six point penalty to take them below Stevenage after a PPG adjustment is made.
Just for your consideration.

Let us say there are further points deductions and Macclesfield were relegated. Macclesfield then argue that because the season was curtailed the points deductions should have been levelled pro rata. And if that were the case they would still have more points than Stevenage. What then?

By the way, I have no idea.

Got my information, surprise surprise, from the Stevenage forum. Makes sense really: the points deductions are applied after the ppg adjustments are made. Macclesfield actually accrued loads more points on the pitch than Stevenage, therefore they get a better return on the ppg calculation. Thus, although they are currently showing as only three points better off, it needs a six point penalty to wipe out their credit which is 5+ with ppg added. Hope that makes some sense.

excessbee wrote:Got my information, surprise surprise, from the Stevenage forum. Makes sense really: the points deductions are applied after the ppg adjustments are made. Macclesfield actually accrued loads more points on the pitch than Stevenage, therefore they get a better return on the ppg calculation. Thus, although they are currently showing as only three points better off, it needs a six point penalty to wipe out their credit which is 5+ with ppg added. Hope that makes some sense.
If that is correct, if the season re-commences, will the points deduction of Macclesfield therefore be increased? I genuinely don't know, nor do I pretend to understand.

Well, I'm assuming the most recent charge from the EFL is irrespective of whether the season recomences. I suppose in fairness to both parties it should be concluded before final judgement on the season is announced. However, is the official 'end of season' June 8th or on Play off day?

From a numerical point of view, Macclesfield accrued 36 points (in 37 matches) , and Stevenage just 22 (in 36). So if Stevenage get say 6 points added for ppg, then Macclesfield might get 9 (these are estimated). This would increase Macclesfield's current buffer to 6. Hence the statement that Stevenage need Macc to be deducted six points.
As hopeless as Stevenage have been, they do seem more likely to exist in six months time.

Might be an interesting day tomorrow. Winding up order in the morning, which will probably be adjourned again (tenth time?). That might trigger a response from the EFL whose independent panel met last Friday to adjudicate on the latest charges. I wonder if they've waited for the High Court decision in the hope they won't be the ones making the final judgement. One straw Macclesfield fans are clinging to is getting another points deduction, but it being applied to next season. However, can the EFL take a chance on them completing (or even starting) next season?

Adjourned for 12 weeks. This must go beyond the date when the EFL need to know which teams are participating in their leagues next season. I can't see them embracing the basket case that is Macclesfield when they may be liquidated early in the new season. Presumably the door is now open for a further points deduction which could bring about relegation. This would raise the question of whether the National League would accept them.